Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Supercharger Throttle Cable Thing

You know the cable which connects from the s/c to the t/b.

The s/c end i've been told should be slack.

Does this mean the s/c doesnt work until like 1/2 throttle or something?

I'm trying to broaden my understanding of how it works, so please excuse me if it's a bit of an ignorant post! :D

Heres how mine is. Make sure the nuts of the adjustment part are at the top with the thread visible as you look at it. I had mine too tight ie no slack on the cable and evey time I put the foot down the Electro mechanical servo could not pull the cable enough as it met too much resistance and it would light up the Engine Mgmt light + flash the TRC light on the cluster. Not Fun!!!

A.jpg

aha, mine was set at the other end.

Didnt cause me any problems though.

I adjusted it midway this afternoon, and it seems to be boosting harder and later.

Is this possible or is it a trick of my imagination?  :blink:

Mine was set at the other end to :D still had the slack to, found it ran better to, i think thats what i did to aido's :D

If you put key in igniton and turn it to the ON position ie (dont start the engine) just so you get all the pre check lights on in the cluster like ABS, Airbag, ETC and then have someone looking in the engine bay also. If you put ur foot on the accelerator, you will see or the other person will see the electro mechanical servo operating and thus pulling your bypass throttle cable. You should be able to work out between you at what postion the pedal is at when the valve is fully closed.

I would leave the nuts near the top though mate! You dont want it to boost too early. And you dont want to put undue stress on the electronic throttle servo. And you DONT want you Eng mgmt light on, with Flashing TRC light while you freel wheel down a motorway :unsure: lol

I feel mine kick in at about 4000rpm. Might be an idea to invest in a boost gauge. I think at full boost u should be running at 0.3bar.

I feel mine kick in at about 4000rpm. Might be an idea to invest in a boost gauge. I think at full boost u should be running at 3bar.

ahhh, thats intresting. I'm definetly gonna have a play around then.

Boost guages, thats something I do want, along with oil temps etc.

I think I saw a 3-guage pod a while back for the IS, does anyone recall the one?

I think I saw a 3-guage pod a while back for the IS, does anyone recall the one?

Yes mate. I bought it off Taz :blush: Lextacy sell them but they work out VERY expensive. Around £250 - £300

****, you aint wrong. $300+ for a bit of glassfibre?! :sick:

That one wouldnt be no good for me anyway as I have satnav.

The HKS Camp system would so the job I guess? Although I think thats also major expensive :(

Yes mate. I bought it off Taz :blush: Lextacy sell them but they work out VERY expensive. Around £250 - £300

****, you aint wrong. $300+ for a bit of glassfibre?! :sick:

That one wouldnt be no good for me anyway as I have satnav.

The HKS Camp system would so the job I guess? Although I think thats also major expensive :(

Yes mate. Only other option to make one yourself to fit to the right of the dash same as Daz's. Or go for a pillar pod thingy

i didnt mount mine, i dont wish nor need to have it on display - i know what pressure the system makes, i only use it if i think something is wrong - ie a hose leaking a bit or when i am trying something, the rest of the time if sits in the glovebox.

from what i remember the gauge comes with a cheap and nasty black t piece ( went in the bin and bought a decent one) a length of clear hose and a threaded adaptor ( which we dont use)

i didnt mount mine, i dont wish nor need to have it on display - i know what pressure the system makes, i only use it if i think something is wrong - ie a hose leaking a bit or when i am trying something, the rest of the time if sits in the glovebox.

from what i remember the gauge comes with a cheap and nasty black t piece ( went in the bin and bought a decent one) a length of clear hose and a threaded adaptor ( which we dont use)

how does it connect up mate? is it a simple case of popping a pipe in somwhere along the induction line?

look at the throttle body - u will see a small black pipe coming out of it just below the operating mechanism,  its this pipe that u want.  The gauge line with just tap into this using a T piece.

Thanks mr fluff.

Got another question for you, slightly off-topic.

could you take a photo of your belt tensioner? (the one that bolts onto the supercharger cage).

Part of mine has been fouling the belt, so i'm not sure I installed it correctly. I need to see another one to get a better understanding. Any chance you could help out?

mmm think u must have not installed it correctly - it can really only go one way really tho! I dont have my car here at the mo its at the airport so I cant get a pic for u - sorry.

can u describe which bit is fouling the belt?

Owen - can u get a pic of the belt tensioner for Nick?????