Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is250 Test Drive

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I Currently drive an is300 auto, drove the 250 this morning and I can report that the 250 would probably keep up with the 300, with a 6 speed box it is far more progressive and less jumpy than the 300, the pick up is amazing best auto box I have ever used. Visibility I thought was ok not brilliant but not awaful you dont get lines like the 250 without having to compromise somewhre anyway normal driving visibility is fine and parking is aided by sensors, and I agree the camera in reverse is just amazing.

Real plusses for me

Looks - everyone turned their heads!

handling and performance is terrific

Bluetooth integration for phone! and a connection for iPod

noise-its so quiet

Oh hell just everything is brilliant

watch out BMW and Mercedes

Though i think i may be the first person in the county to be caught in an IS250 by a speed camera. Dunno if he got me though. Opps :whistling:

P.S. I Bought one :D

Hi Steve

Good report, thanks for that.

What are your comments concerning:

1) Unsettled ride both in town and on the motorway

2) Excessive tyre noise

3) steering lacks feel

Cannot find any other negative comments apart from leg room in the back and yours concerning relection in rear window.

Thanks

Andrew

how about....what kind of mods we shoudl consider for the is250. hehehe  - chance of bumping that up to IS300 monster standards?

We were talking about this recently and Mike was saying that as the engine is aluminium it won't hold up to the levels that the steel internals would so you would be in a situation where you would need to start thinking about uprating earlier - guess we'll have to wait and see how reliable these things are once they've been fiddled with :D

Guess it helps that the US market has a 250 as they make a lot more mods than we've had in Europe, it will be an interesting time for the new IS owners :D

Hi Steve

2) Excessive tyre noise

3) steering lacks feel

Cannot find any other negative comments apart from leg room in the back and yours concerning relection in rear window.

Thanks

Andrew

You quote from whatcar I assume; no one else has such poor reviews...

My previous experiance is that they fail to form any views of their own based on the actual car they are testing; if they do not regard the badge that it wears, then there is little reward. For example they are complaining of a harsh ride; have they not driven any of the German competition? The BMW 3 and Audi A4 have unbelievably harsh rides (this is made up some what by taut and rewarding handling in the BM), yet this somehow does not detract from their experiances with them. The strange thing is that the 3 series got five stars while the IS was awarded a lowly 3. Automotive jounalism is cr*p, especially in Britain. Autocar and Autoexpress gave glowing views on the car on the positive side (when whatcar see this they will probably upgrade their review to 4 stars; I have seen it done before on the suzuki swift, originally it was given 3 stars, but after it recieved 4 in autocar the review was magically changed to 4, a bunch of sheep).

Okay guys, lets cut to the chase.

Some of you may know this, some may not, but it is the truth, like it or not - confirmed recently by a very good friend of the Autocar editor (who will remain nameless).......

Car mags are a business - the cover price of the mag is peanuts in comparison to the income stream generated by big full / double page advertising. No advertising, no mag.

BMW spend an absolute fortune on advertising in mags, autocar especially. Pick any car mgazine you have in your house right now and I bet you will come accross a big and expensive BMW ad sooner or later.

When one of my best customers comes into the showroom, I don't to tell him his daughter is ugly. Simple as that.

How many Lexus ads did you come accross trying to find the BMW ones?

Lets get this straight, this is not my opinion, this is a fact, and a fact that has been rienforced to me on many occasions throughout my lenghty career in the motor trade.

Also, it is known that most manufacturers wil fiddle and mess with diff and gearing ratios, ecu's, all sorts of things to vastly improve the car above what you and I will get in the showroom, just so the press give it impressive reviews and test figures.

And yes you guessed it - Lexus don't. Trust me they don't. A very heated debate occurred a while back between two very senior Lexus officials about the very subject, where the winning argument ensured that the cars the press get are the cars you and I get.

Simple as that.

Moral of the story, put the mag back amongst the comics at the supermarket where they belong and drive the cars yourself - its your money!

Hi Steve

2) Excessive tyre noise

3) steering lacks feel

Thanks

Andrew

yes there is slight road noise... i did notice this.. but not that bad.. low profile tyres will always do this... but i did not feel it through the sterring. My GS Sport is worse!

I never once feltl unsettled.. in fact the car felt so much safer then many other cars i have driven.

I cannot comment about the steering lacks feel.. spent most of my time on the motorway and seeing as it was raining i was not going to risk anything on unfamiliar country roads.

With all the pouring rain I felt very comfortable driving.

Hi Steve

Spent an enjoyable hour this afternoon, test driving an IS250SE Auto. I am currently an owner of a Mercedes C320 Elegance. Enjoyed the test drive so much I have ordered an IS250SE for delivery on 22 November. Cadoxton Slate and Oakham Leather, I hope everyone approves?

Now for some comparisons: The IS250 cornered better, more responsive steering and was quieter. When accelerating hard it sounded better than the Merc and was very nearly as responsive. The seating was noteworthy as far as comfort was concermed, with additional adjustments available (although I always found the Merc more than ok). Driving on country roads was a thrill with the car going exactly where you pointed it. There was little or no role. On uneven roads you could call the suspension 'firm', however, the seat's design helped to cushion this well. Lumbar support was a bonus and something the Merc lacked. Tyre noise was not a real problem, although difficult to judge without getting up to motorway speed. Reading the Speedo was no problem, although having the mph and KPH both in white and numbers in a similar size did take some time to get used to. Tried the paddle-shift, preferred not to get involved, will have to get used to this! I found with the Merc that I hardly ever used the Tiptronic and I think the paddles will go the same way!

The engine was as quiet as a mouse and the gearbox beautifully smooth. Thought about loading it further, but decided to just add the Lexus park assist as an extra. Could have bought cheaper elsewhere I suppose, but then.... If anyone can advise if I have done the right thing here? Certainly it is an issue with the IS250 learning where the rear bumper ends and a lamp post begins!!

In all, the car felt better made, well put together all round, more of a driver’s car with limousine added on. Rewarding to drive and very comfortable to sit in. Always happy with my Merc, but this will make a nice change. Personally I found this a better car than the BMW 325, the BMW may have more grunt, but the IS250 delivered it in a more rewarding way.

Staff at Lexus Croydon where very helpful and attentive, even though they were coping with an open day. They proved to be experts at extracting money painlessly!

Should you buy one? Indeed you should.

Andrew

Hi Steve

Spent an enjoyable hour this afternoon, test driving an IS250SE Auto. I am currently an owner of a Mercedes C320 Elegance. Enjoyed the test drive so much I have ordered an IS250SE for delivery on 22 November. Cadoxton Slate and Oakham Leather, I hope everyone approves?

Now for some comparisons: The IS250 cornered better, more responsive steering and was quieter. When accelerating hard it sounded better than the Merc and was very nearly as responsive. The seating was noteworthy as far as comfort was concermed, with additional adjustments available (although I always found the Merc more than ok). Driving on country roads was a thrill with the car going exactly where you pointed it. There was little or no role. On uneven roads you could call the suspension 'firm', however, the seat's design helped to cushion this well. Lumbar support was a bonus and something the Merc lacked. Tyre noise was not a real problem, although difficult to judge without getting up to motorway speed. Reading the Speedo was no problem, although having the mph and KPH both in white and numbers in a similar size did take some time to get used to. Tried the paddle-shift, preferred not to get involved, will have to get used to this! I found with the Merc that I hardly ever used the Tiptronic and I think the paddles will go the same way!

The engine was as quiet as a mouse and the gearbox beautifully smooth. Thought about loading it further, but decided to just add the Lexus park assist as an extra. Could have bought cheaper elsewhere I suppose, but then.... If anyone can advise if I have done the right thing here? Certainly it is an issue with the IS250 learning where the rear bumper ends and a lamp post begins!!

In all, the car felt better made, well put together all round, more of a driver’s car with  limousine added on. Rewarding to drive and very comfortable to sit in. Always happy with my Merc, but this will make a nice change. Personally I found this a better car than the BMW 325, the BMW may have more grunt, but the IS250 delivered it in a more rewarding way.

Staff at Lexus Croydon where very helpful and attentive, even though they were coping with an open day. They proved to be experts at extracting money painlessly!

Andrew

Andrew - one question - compared to the C Class, how much smaller is the IS inside? I have an Audi A4 (2002/52) which I am thinking of trading in for the new IS (I would have bought the outgoing IS if it was lightly bigger and had better MPG in 2002)?

I did testdrive the C Class and it is quite large inside, so it would be interesting to know how much smaller you foind the new IS.

PS - one other point is that the old IS had a horrible hump in the centre of the rear seat, which made it uncomfortable for the occasional 5th passenger, which also put me off. Is this any better - does anyone know? :unsure:

Hi Steve

In all, the car felt better made, well put together all round, more of a driver’s car with  limousine added on. Rewarding to drive and very comfortable to sit in. Always happy with my Merc, but this will make a nice change. Personally I found this a better car than the BMW 325, the BMW may have more grunt, but the IS250 delivered it in a more rewarding way.

Andrew

Andrew - one question - compared to the C Class, how much smaller is the IS inside? I have an Audi A4 (2002/52) which I am thinking of trading in for the new IS (I would have bought the outgoing IS if it was lightly bigger and had better MPG in 2002)?

I did testdrive the C Class and it is quite large inside, so it would be interesting to know how much smaller you foind the new IS.

PS - one other point is that the old IS had a horrible hump in the centre of the rear seat, which made it uncomfortable for the occasional 5th passenger, which also put me off. Is this any better - does anyone know? :unsure:

Found the IS just as roomy in the front, may be marginally smaller, but not that you would notice, certainly smaller in the back. The IS is generally more comfy than the C class and the C class was great as far as I was concerned. Did not notice a hump in the rear seats. The front has lumber support, the seat is 8 way electrically adjustable so not too difficult to make yourself comfortable. Only a passenger in A4, but IS250 was more comfortable from that point of view.

Borrowed an IS250SE-L from Lexus Reading this afternoon for approx. 2 hours :D

First impressions:-

Those door mirrors are BIG.

The underbonnet paint work really is as good as The Mole said it was. :hehe:

The fuel filler is on the wrong side, damn it, I'll just have to try to remember at the petrol station.

Pulling at the rear view camera does not open the boot :whistling:

The car looks fantastic. Twin exhausts look great. Love those rear light clusters.

Satisfying clunk to the doors, no loose trim, good texturing to the dash top.

Very comfortable seats, very fine adjustments possible, hope they look and feel this good after a couple of years use.

Had to stop and start the engine a number of times just to see the dials spring to life :D

No problems with visibility, rear view is smaller than I'm used to but I didn't have any problems during the drive.

Did not get the impression of being inside peering out that I got with the GS300 a couple of months ago, the sides did not appear as high once you're in the car.

Driving:-

Engine all but inaudible, except under hard acceleration when the note was pleasing to the ears. Road/tyre noise is the only real annoyance, but even that was slightly lower than in my BMW 525.

Auto box changes very slick, virtually undetectable. I did not play with the paddles as I wanted to concentrate of other aspects of the drive.

Steering is still too light but even I was able to adapt quickly. I found the car a bit nervous at high speed, almost as if the tyres were way over pressure, my BMW by comparison feels as if its on rails at any speed. Maybe I just need more time to adjust to the lightness.

The ride is subjectively more compliant than my car, but not as much as the GS, which really soaked up the road imperfections beautifully.

I'm no racing driver so cannot comment on extremes of handling, but anyone should be able to have a bit of fun in this car on roads they know. :driving:

Equipment:-

What can you say? Its got the lot - and it works like a dream.

I would start listening to my music collection again if it sounded this good. The Auto Sound Leveling system does an amazing job of combating road noise when you hit the more and more common rough surfaces present on our roads.

Will I buy one?

I have arranged an overnight loan for the weekend after the official launch, when I can use the car as if its my own and get a real feel for it.

The chassis I reserved a couple of months ago is due for delivery on the 5th of December, so I may be getting an early Christmas present :D

Can anyone suggest which make of tyre is best for low road noise, I may get rid of the standard Bridgestones sooner rather than later.

Come on then, lets have some more test drive impressions. The demo model from Lexus Reading hasn't stood still all week, but very few people have posted comments. I assume its the same situation all over the country.

Don't be shy, we want to know what you all think of the car.

Even though I am biased, I'll try and be as objective as I can.

I have driven the new IS250 for the last few days, not on test drives, but in day to day life.

Quality is outstanding and has moved the goal posts substantially.

Refinement and quietness are equally way ahead of the game.

Audio system is better than I have ever heard, on anything.

Price and spec are again, way ahead on the competition.

Form AND function has taken equal precedent, things like the way the instrument cluster lights up on start up, the LED interior lights and the way the speedo and rev counter glow orange when revs or speed are high etc are really classy touches.

I find the seats especially comfy, with excellent adjustability.

Styling is personal - I find it very muscular. Whilst paying for fuel the other night, the car looked very big and chunky head on. It has real desirability about it.

Engine is super sweet and almost silent at lower load levels. It has a sweet crisp growl if worked hard. Whilst it is not overly powerful, it is more than quick enough - almost deceptively quick due to its smoothness.

Best auto gearbox I have driven - ratios are perfect and changes seemless.

Steering is light, but not overly so, and quite sensitive mid lock giving a very sure footed and directional feel.

The suspension and damping gives a firm ride that inspires confidence to push but manages to smooth out lumps and bumps remarkably well with no harshness whatsoever. I haven't pushed the car hard, but fast A-road bends can be taken confidently with a great feelng of control and stability.

Down sides, well knowing what I do about the desicions and compromises Lexus take, and the reasons why, on issues such as folding rear seats etc, I can't really find much to point the finger at.

The only thing I will mention is that my first impressions were that rear passenger space looked cramped, but having lived with the car for a few days, the rear seat is actually much more accomadating that it looks - the real issue isn't head or leg room, but access to the rear seat. The bucket nature of the very comfortable rear seat means that the sides of the cushion do protrude into the door opening area a little, and the area of sill that your foot passes over is a little small, but once in, the rear is very comfortable. My friend is 6'4" tall and said that he had ample head and leg room.

My overall impression is that Lexus have rasied the bar considerably in terms of quality, refinement, engineering and technology in this class of car. It may not be the fastest to 60, or have the biggest boot etc, but that wasn't Lexus' aim, they just bid fabulously high quality cars.

It feels so special.

After seeing pictures and the prices of the New IS, I am not too keen. It looks similar to the GS and by the time you kit it up, you looking at the price of a GS. I will opt for the GS

First impressions, some good and some not so good.

On arrival at the show room the first car I saw was a base IS250 in dark blue, with 16” wheels. This model looks slightly dumpy from the side and left me slightly underwhelmed since it was my 1st IS250 in the flesh. The SE models looked much better when I got up close and personal. The best angle is front on from a slight distance, the high waist, slightly pinched in cabin looks very sweet.

Inside the car is absolute class, too many details to take in (it was a SE-L auto), but you’re going to have lots of ‘ooh and aah’ discovery moments when you live with the car on a day-to-day basis. Press the button, the display/ dials do ‘that’ thing and you ‘re off…

Steering, very Lexus light, and very easy to live with - the car goes where you point it. What more do you want? I does load up more when cornering and I found it very easy to put the car where I wanted. Although the car is bigger than the old model it doesn’t feel like it when driving.

I had only one brief chance to exercise the engine up an incline, the car feels swifter then the outgoing IS200, but it aint going to break your hair, at this point I noted how smooth the engine is, how slick the auto is, and how quiet the engine had been under next to no load.

What Car had previously said that tyre roar was an issue, I’m glad to say I didn’t find this at all – although I didn’t have the chance to cruise at 70 on a motorway – in fact the cabin ambience is a delight.

Now to the not so good. The car I test drove was on 17” wheels (didn’t see brand, interestingly, I think of the 2 SE models in the showroom 1 was on Dunlops, the other Bridgestone) and the ride was very firm – touching harsh. The car doesn’t glide bumps as per my current Is200 (17”, Dunlops SP9000, tell you what Lexus really did sort that chassis, suspension) and you can tell/ feel this on the first road imperfection you come across. The chassis isn’t unsettled in any way, and you don’t feel the bumps through the steering wheel, but you are aware of the car/ cabin pitching and rising slightly with the bumps.

Now there could be a number of factors at play here, new car, tyres, tyre pressure, suspension still to bed in, or it could be that Lexus need to soften the set-up slightly for UK roads since they haven’t done testing here. Anywhichway, something for people to look out for.

Me. I’m still very interested because the car is a standout inside and out, I’m aiming for a March 06 car. Another longer test drive nearer the time will be required. Lexus will sell loads of the new IS (especially when the diesel arrives) and deserves the success.

Note to The Mole. I was informed that for the IS and GS launch (Monaco and Barcelona) you get days to drive new cars, stay in David Coultards’s hotel) and you’re telling us it’s a hard life…..

I am glad the Mole likes the car so much as he will be selling them.

I have not had a drive in one yet and I am shure it will be delightful......... but they start at €45,000 here and you would have to pay €55,000 for the spec equivalent to my IS200.Too....o expensive Im afraid.

I think Ill be back to Hondas after this IS200!!!!

PS:why does warn 0% appear below my name????

Even though I am biased, I'll try and be as objective as I can.

I have driven the new IS250 for the last few days, not on test drives, but in day to day life.

Quality is outstanding and has moved the goal posts substantially.

Refinement and quietness are equally way ahead of the game.

Audio system is better than I have ever heard, on anything.

Price and spec are again, way ahead on the competition.

Form AND function has taken equal precedent, things like the way the instrument cluster lights up on start up, the LED interior lights and the way the speedo and rev counter glow orange when revs or speed are high etc are really classy touches.

I find the seats especially comfy, with excellent adjustability.

Styling is personal - I find it very muscular. Whilst paying for fuel the other night, the car looked very big and chunky head on. It has real desirability about it.

Engine is super sweet and almost silent at lower load levels. It has a sweet crisp growl if worked hard. Whilst it is not overly powerful, it is more than quick enough - almost deceptively quick due to its smoothness.

Best auto gearbox I have driven - ratios are perfect and changes seemless.

Steering is light, but not overly so, and quite sensitive mid lock giving a very sure footed and directional feel.

The suspension and damping gives a firm ride that inspires confidence to push but manages to smooth out lumps and bumps remarkably well with no harshness whatsoever. I haven't pushed the car hard, but  fast A-road bends can be taken confidently with a great feelng of control and stability.

Down sides, well knowing what I do about the desicions and compromises Lexus take, and the reasons why, on issues such as folding rear seats etc, I can't really find much to point the finger at.

The only thing I will mention is that my first impressions were that rear passenger space looked cramped, but having lived with the car for a few days, the rear seat is actually much more accomadating that it looks - the real issue isn't head or leg room, but access to the rear seat. The bucket nature of the very comfortable rear seat means that the sides of the cushion do protrude into the door opening area a little, and the area of sill that your foot passes over is a little small, but once in, the rear is very comfortable. My friend is 6'4" tall and said that he had ample head and leg room.

My overall impression is that Lexus have rasied the bar considerably in terms of quality, refinement, engineering and technology in this class of car. It may not be the fastest to 60, or have the biggest boot etc, but that wasn't Lexus' aim, they just bid fabulously high quality cars.

It feels so special.

Well Mr Mole I could not resist the temptation to drive the IS350 as I'm currently in Houston. After the IS250 the 306 BHP feels awesome and it's just as well the traffic here is so dense at the moment or the State Troopers may arrange not to allow me back. I hope the drive hasn't put the knockers on my appreciation of the IS250 SE-L that I should be receiving early next month (and that's without thinking about the price difference)!

The IS250 is also selling here in both rear wheel drive and AWD guises, but why does the interior trim differ from the UK or am I comparing an 'SE IS350' with an SE-L IS250, which is the only one I've got to see in the UK?

I would have liked to try the 250 AWD but your equivalent here had by then worked out I wasn't about to place an order in the USA!!

Just wish the 350 was coming to the UK.......

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links