Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is250 Test Drive

Even though I am biased, I'll try and be as objective as I can.

I have driven the new IS250 for the last few days, not on test drives, but in day to day life.

Quality is outstanding and has moved the goal posts substantially.

Refinement and quietness are equally way ahead of the game.

Audio system is better than I have ever heard, on anything.

Price and spec are again, way ahead on the competition.

Form AND function has taken equal precedent, things like the way the instrument cluster lights up on start up, the LED interior lights and the way the speedo and rev counter glow orange when revs or speed are high etc are really classy touches.

I find the seats especially comfy, with excellent adjustability.

Styling is personal - I find it very muscular. Whilst paying for fuel the other night, the car looked very big and chunky head on. It has real desirability about it.

Engine is super sweet and almost silent at lower load levels. It has a sweet crisp growl if worked hard. Whilst it is not overly powerful, it is more than quick enough - almost deceptively quick due to its smoothness.

Best auto gearbox I have driven - ratios are perfect and changes seemless.

Steering is light, but not overly so, and quite sensitive mid lock giving a very sure footed and directional feel.

The suspension and damping gives a firm ride that inspires confidence to push but manages to smooth out lumps and bumps remarkably well with no harshness whatsoever. I haven't pushed the car hard, but  fast A-road bends can be taken confidently with a great feelng of control and stability.

Down sides, well knowing what I do about the desicions and compromises Lexus take, and the reasons why, on issues such as folding rear seats etc, I can't really find much to point the finger at.

The only thing I will mention is that my first impressions were that rear passenger space looked cramped, but having lived with the car for a few days, the rear seat is actually much more accomadating that it looks - the real issue isn't head or leg room, but access to the rear seat. The bucket nature of the very comfortable rear seat means that the sides of the cushion do protrude into the door opening area a little, and the area of sill that your foot passes over is a little small, but once in, the rear is very comfortable. My friend is 6'4" tall and said that he had ample head and leg room.

My overall impression is that Lexus have rasied the bar considerably in terms of quality, refinement, engineering and technology in this class of car. It may not be the fastest to 60, or have the biggest boot etc, but that wasn't Lexus' aim, they just bid fabulously high quality cars.

It feels so special.

Well Mr Mole I could not resist the temptation to drive the IS350 as I'm currently in Houston. After the IS250 the 306 BHP feels awesome and it's just as well the traffic here is so dense at the moment or the State Troopers may arrange not to allow me back. I hope the drive hasn't put the knockers on my appreciation of the IS250 SE-L that I should be receiving early next month (and that's without thinking about the price difference)!

The IS250 is also selling here in both rear wheel drive and AWD guises, but why does the interior trim differ from the UK or am I comparing an 'SE IS350' with an SE-L IS250, which is the only one I've got to see in the UK?

I would have liked to try the 250 AWD but your equivalent here had by then worked out I wasn't about to place an order in the USA!!

Just wish the 350 was coming to the UK.......

[Me too. $Price US = £ UK perhaps?

smilie

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Lexus has first class training, often in exotic locations.

The idea is that they treat you to that extra bit of luxuary, really look after you, make you feel wanted and special, you come back and tell all your friends and feel really enthusiastic about the brand........

..... and it makes you realise what value can be placed on luxuary, refinement, looking after people, going the exta mile and that excellent service is worth paying that little extra for.....

..... and pass it on to your customers...... clever eh?

And yes, it is one of the perks of the job, as is a new IS250 every 3 months (although we pay the full co car tax)

However, ther are many pitfalls to the retail motor trade, not to mention the long hours, weekends, late nights, unstable income and the pressure and stress that brings (like other jobs I know...).

If it was easy, everyone would do it - Like I've often said, walk a mile in my shoes?

As for a high performance version in the UK..... watch this space, but don't bet too highly on a 350.....? :shutit:

Hi, I am an owner of an IS200 Sport. The 3 years purchase plan is now up and I have tested an new IS250 and subsequently ordered one.

I should get mine within days. I ordered an SE with Multimedia pack.

One feature that seemed a bit OTT was a light under the door mirrors. The car at the garage was an SE-L fully loaded, so not sure if mine has this. I was impressed by the blue illuminated silver scuff plates on the SE-L, but it's only a nice gimmick so not going to be too upset that my SE hasn't got them.

The reverse camera feature is amazing and the VGA display has guide lines which you can use for parallel parking of straight reverse. Allows you to get within mm's of the car behind (as if you would want to!!).

The down side I think is the lack of side door trims. I know the styling lines would not be as effective with them, but I can't help think my IS will get lots of door bashes at the local supermarket.

My old IS hasn't faired too well in this department, and I think I'll end up parking across two spaces or getting the bus to the shops :duh:

Great reviews on here, thanks guys.

As for a high performance version in the UK..... watch this space, but don't bet too highly on a 350.....?  :shutit:

Well I bally well hope they bring in the 350 otherwise I'll be moving on, bad enough they have gone to a V6 but certainly will not get a 2.5.

Come on Lexus you know it makes sense the other players have proper engines in their small cars; get your bally act together. :o

Could be an AWD V8.........? :whistling:

They'll only do it if it makes sound commercial sense. You need to sell many cars to make it worth producing a model, and no, it's not just a case of putting the steering wheel on the right for the UK market.

My guess (and what would I know) is that if the new model sells in sufficient quantities, somthing will happen.

:ph34r:

Moley, what will define sales success or sufficient quantities? Fairly sure, when I went for my test drive in the IS250, that the sales guy told me that the target in the UK was 12000 - 14000 cars (for the whole Lexus brand) in 2006.

Would you like to confirm or deny. My tuppence worth is that you guys will easily do this figure, especially with the diesel and the latest reports showing Lexus' cost less to maintain/ repair.

Lexus should be a bit more open about future IS plans in the UK. I'd love to see the following; IS300 (using the GS 245bhp engine), IS350, another diesel model to match up against BMW's latest 3 litre, an entry level IS200 (V6 or I6). With that lot you would be taking aim at the higher end of the market and avoid the 318 chaff.

Another thing, the new auto is so good I'd be happy with the paddles for the higher power models.

Figures are close enough.

Problem is that Lexus really don't have any market share in the rest of Europe, it's not just the UK market, it is Europe in general that will boost volumes to sufficient levels.

So tell all your friends and relatives in Germany, France and Spain how good the new Lexus IS250 is and we'll see what happens.

And before you all reach for your keyboards, it has nothing to do with LHD or RHD.

M

Guys - just opt for the SE version. The triptonic substitutes for the manual just as great! The new auto is DAMn good! best as i can describe it on the drive form Leicester to london was a coocooning refinement.

Missus was playing with all the console and hidden sections/folders. heated seats/ Love the cabin interior built liek an airplane. The passenger reading lights are such that even if you're driving does not distract other drivers on the road - better than those you get on airplane journeys

Lighting..its everywhere,

at night, when you approach your car, lights below teh large aerodynamic wing mirrors light up subtly...and the footwell of each passenger seat lights up just enough so you know where to put your feet.....amazing detail to attention.

Hello everyone.

Since March that i read all the post, concerning to the new IS.

Im from Portugal and today, will be my first contact to the car, test drive etc.

In my country i need 58.000,00 € to get an IS 250 SE auto whit Multimedia pack.

Same car but engine diesel cost 53.000,00 €.

Please give yours feedback, should i get the petrol or oil?

Whit a full tank, how many Kms a can do, in a petrol?

Petrol cost 1,30 € per Litre

Oil cost 1,00 €.

Sorry about my english, but i try to do better.

Regards

Moley, what will define sales success or sufficient quantities? Fairly sure, when I went for my test drive in the IS250, that the sales guy told me that the target in the UK was 12000 - 14000 cars (for the whole Lexus brand) in 2006.

Would you like to confirm or deny. My tuppence worth is that you guys will easily do this figure, especially with the diesel and the latest reports showing Lexus' cost less to maintain/ repair.

Lexus should be a bit more open about future IS plans in the UK. I'd love to see the following; IS300 (using the GS 245bhp engine), IS350, another diesel model to match up against BMW's latest 3 litre, an entry level IS200 (V6 or I6). With that lot you would be taking aim at the higher end of the market and avoid the 318 chaff.

Another thing, the new auto is so good I'd be happy with the paddles for the higher power models.

Well, I finally test drove the car. Here are my findings (and these were my personal impression compared to what I have now - Audi A4 TDI 130SE Manual):

Model - IS250 SE Manual with Sat Nav

First Impressions - striking looking car, high waist line, muscular, well made

Dealer - 2 visits made (Sat at 4.35 and Sunday for the drive). On Saturday, we felt that they wanted to close and wanted us out...in spite of me asking for the 220d pricing 4 times, no one would tell me, but they asked if I would like to take the car out and to arrange an appointment! They were courteous and did offer us a coffee...2/5! I felt as if I had just come out of a Ford dealer!

On Sunday, the tables turned, and they could not be hospitable enough! 5/5! Jekyl and Hyde! The sales man, is new to Sytner Lexus and we were his first customer! I think they had made time, we stuck to the appointment, and showed we were keen.

Space/Interior - Front excellent, fantastic seats, generally good quality materials throughout. The bum warmer (heated seat) was good... :blush: Quality compares well to the class leader (i.e. an Audi A4 which I currently have). Back - there is no question that this car is cramped for anyone taller then me (I am 5 Ft 7" only). Luckily we're all shorties in my family, so I could live with it. The transmission tunnel is wide and high...and the centre seat squab is high (just like the IS200 in my view). My wife purposefully sat there with child either side, as we occasionally need 5 seats...and whilst she is only (sorry dear) 5ft tall, her head was only inches away from the roof.

The boot seemed OK, but not huge. Not ideal, and can't help thinking that Lexus have missed the opportunity...

I scored it 3/5 for overall space, 4/5 for visibility (though the rear screen is short and wide....almost wide-screen/panoramic) BUT an overall 5/5 for front passenger comfort which is outstanding, and 3/5 if your not tool tall in the back. If you have tall people to ferry around on long hauls look elsewhere, this not for you!

Driving/On the road - Extremely stable. The car has a phenomenal way of isoltaing you from the outside. It is "pointy", and will go where ever you point the wheel, which is small and sporty.

Road noise is there all of the time, but not intrusive. Mind you, it runs 245/17's on the back...and profiles the width of your finger nails...The car feels rock solid and these press stories of steering too sensitive etc is in the eye's of the beholder....I though it was terrific, and the best small exec I have driven so far (only one yet to drive is the 3 series on Thursday). The ride is firm, but not "overly" as What Car make you believe. A Honda Jazz is far worse and what you might call "Overly" firm! My wife has one...The IS 250 does not actually feel fast. However, when you look at the speedo, you realise...I scored it 5/5.

Technogimmeckry - even the SE has loads of stuff. Electric everything....though for what Memory function on seats will cost Lexus, it's only available on the SE-L and Sport. I can never understand why you get multi Elec seats....with no memory function...One or two are gimmicky in my view and you would have to live with it to understand whether you really need it rather than want it. Good example is push button start! The dials were great...

The most fantastic techno thing was the rear camera. When engaging reverse you get a panoramic/HQ view. The red box is the danger zone, the Green the straight line, and the yellow box predicts where the car will go. The yellow lines move sideways depending on steering movement (even when stationary). I think it is by far the best reversing aid you can get...and has a wow factor! The Sat Nav was good, but I managed to fox it on a parallel road, where the error correction thought I was on a thoroughfare when I was actually 20 meters away in a lorry park (I thought they were supposed to be accurate to within 5 meters...). Anyway - it deserves a 5/5 overall.

So my overall view? Well it's a 4/5 based on my knowledge and test drives to date. The only let down is the space... Other than that it is genuinely a fantastic car. As I will buy my next car with my own cash, I am doing the due diligence....making sure that it really is the best thing for me and the family...

We immediately went to the BMW Sytner dealership in Leicester to see if we could get a "hot" view on the 320d comparison....and inspite of it only being their most popular model they ain't got one until next Thursday! They did not even have another SE saloon on site with standard seats that I could look at. How bizaare...when faced with hot competition they let their one and only (!) model go for 5 days to a member of staff! Surely they should be trying to grab all propective IS220d owners NOW????? Is that too logical I ask? :blink: If it was my chip shop....Anyway,I have booked a test drive for Thursday 5.00pm.

We then went to the Audi place - it was like a grave yard! I bought my A4 new from them when they were Reg Vardy, and the cust stuff has dropped off the radar...no brochures, some vague comments about 17" alloys, free SE and rear sensors was mentioned for 2006...a quote was given to me on a bit of white note paper...not even a complement slip...no business card....too vague and wishy washy...I love Audi's, they are well made cars of high quality, but the dealer is just are not geared up to it...hence me now writing to Santa....

Summary - There is something "Switzerlandish" about the Lexus. My wife actually said that I looked as though I was in love... :D

If you want to feel that you have just bought a designer diamond watch, and be treated like you matter, go and buy the Lexus right now. It's well worth it. I am in search for the 220d, and will see what they offer in terms of a deal to clinch the sale...like I say it is my money and they will have to fight for it...but the product is good....

Let me just repeat it - THIS "IS" IS AS GOOD AS MOLE SAYS....and STEVE SAYS.....AND KOSHIME SAYS>>>> :winky:

"Dear Santa, I have been a good boy, ......."

IS250 Test drive;

Hi All,

To give you some ideas of what cars I have driven before I start here is a list;

Mazda 323 white

Mitsubishi FTO GR red

Lexus IS200 SE silver

Lexus IS200 SE black

Mitsubishi Evolution 8 FQ-300 black

Seat Tolledo 2.3 V5 red

I am currently driving the SEAT as a commute car, so you get an idea of my history with cars. Now I am very picky believe it or not as to what a car needs to have. I have always thought I would be perfect as a test driver or someone who comments on how cars can be improved so hopefully this review will be of use to some of you if thinking of purchasing the IS250.

I took it out on Saturday morning, it was a standard SE without multimedia in black (Manual). The look of the car from the outside I thought was quite understated to be honest. I know some one here think its quite a radical design and bold, however I am certain in time this car will merge into the background and you will never be noticed in it. It was a bleak day and the car was not exactly polished and eventhough there are very few on the roads I didn't get any looks from other drivers. A bit dissapointing really as I already got the feeling I was blending in to the other metal on the roads. However in saying that looks are personal taste thing always. I actually really like the shape and design features throughout the car (mostly anyway but will go into detail on my niggles later). Overall this is a positive review as it is a good car.

The exterior;

It is muscular in shape and you get the feel it is designed to give stature on the road. You feel the car has more presence and if on a motorway would be given more respect by other drivers than in the old IS 200. The old IS was a smaller car, it was thinner and less agressive looking. The new one has a front the points downwards, the grill eventhough not intimidating does impart a feeling of status (eventhough I am not a badge man at all!).

I liked the wheels, the alloys are nice again, as with the previous model Lexus realises that wheels do set the car off and give it that extra touch. I have having to replace alloys as aftermarket never quite looks right to me.

Whatever you think of the exterior that is up to you. You can see the pics as there are many on this site and make up your own mind. For me its a nice looking car but in summary will quite soon blend into the crowd especially if Lexus push the IS into the rep market with the diesel on its way.

The interior;

First thing I noticed was the whopper ear lobes on this thing. They are massive, to the point where you think are people just staring at my cars ears. I got a bit of a complex :D However, in saying that they are superb in design and function. I love them and anything that makes it safer to drive the better. It makes it so easy to change lanes and I adore these things!

Keyless entry, not sure about that and why it has it. To me its a gimic as it does not take much to press a button on a key fob to open a door. Loved the way it is secure until you place your hand inside the handle. So clever, it must have a sensor inside the handle to detect a break when you put your hand in. The light coming on under the wing mirror is a polite touch and I liked it.

The LED lighting was nice, very peaceful and calming. The seats were very comfy but do not hold you in on the sides very much if your slim like me. I am 11 stone and I didn't feel like I was being hugged in them, however they were of excellent quality materials used and again superb.

The dials were excellent, clear, precise, everything was very well laid out. I loved the light saber start up routine. I worked out also how to have the stereo etc on when the ignition is not. It all has a very logical way of working. A bit of a shame they use the same switch gear to some extent as in other toyota's. However why change something that is not broken, these switches are great, just would have been nice for something more purpose built/unique.

I liked the fact you can set your seat not only to warm your bum but also to cool it. Very nice idea! Also the seperate climate control for passenger and driver was a nice touch. The stereo is of high quality too and don't worry if you don't have enough cash for the multimedia package as its as good if not better than any other I have used. I did sample the multimedia package however and for me this is a must purchase if I am to get a 250. My reasoning behind this is that after a year I would be bored driving this car to a certain extent. I know that this package would hold my attention for much longer, I love my music and am an audio geek anyway. The rear camera is a nice gismo however no one needs a dvd player in a car (unless setup for rear passengers in head rests).

The pedals were nicely places, the gear stick had a nice feel to it, the gear selection was a little notchy as I was driving a car with hardly any miles on it. Once loosened up it would be fine. The height of the gear stick was perfect, however one slight gripe was that when changing gear your arm is always on the arm rest. You cannot get rid of the arm rest really and it could become an annoyance. However after a while driving I felt it was actually ok.

Second gripe with gear stick is that when selecting reverse your hand scrapes the handbrake, this is a feature that is not well thought out and happened every time for me.

My main gripe of the car however was the steering wheel. It was not positioned right for me, I know you can change the rake and distance, up and down. However you cannot change the tilt measurment. It felt a little touch too much like a lorry drive positioning and less like a sporty driving positioning. I am very fussy when it comes to steering wheel design and positioning, for me this is a major factor of enjoyment in a car. I am even thinking about not buying the Lexus on this exact point as it is a major niggle.

However on a more positive note the brakes were superb. You felt so secure with them, like you could in effect stand on them and you would stop. Very much like my Evo brakes, really great and confidence building.

The ride was allot more springy than I thought it would be. I am used to with Lexus cars to being in a swaft of fluffy cloud smooth silent bubble. However with the IS on the motorway it felt unsettled and bouncy is the only word I can come up with. You get used to it fast and is not really a negative as I prefer a slightly stiffer ride so that cornering is not the downside of the driving experiance. It certainly wasn't either as it was more than capable with less body roll than the previous model and I thought that was good for that type of car anyway. You can't lower the seat anymore either, I felt my seating position was a touch high.

The auto lights are a good feature but as I found with the old model can catch you out in tunnels etc and its as if you are flashing cars in front as they detect and then detect again outside light changes. You can switch this off though and its not an issue.

The feel of the steering wheel, the material used was a bit strange to me. I am not sure what it was but moving the wheel through your hand does create quite a noise. Maybe it was how new it all was but I would have prefered the old leather feel, spongy and tactile. This one felt a little cheaper.

The space for the driver and passenger was fantastic, loads of room I felt and in the back the seats looked so inviting. I didn't sit in them as not enough time but they looked really comfy! The material again used for them was of a very high quality, better than any other saloon in this catagory I would say.

My personal summary of the IS250;

I have test driven many cars in this class, I am a enthusiast when it comes to cars and have always been interested in driving and motorsport. This car is not and has never prentended to be a performance saloon. On its web page it details how impressive its engine is as it is a good one but no where does it state that its a leader in its class. It does not try and beat on this level, the car picks up just fine and sounds nice too when pushing hard. However its not going to leave you with a massive smile like a civic type R or subaru/evo etc etc. However none of those cars can come close to the IS for refinement, quality, toys, build quality and status. The IS 250 is a great car, there is no doubt in my mind that its one of the best in class. However that steering wheel position, feel and material used is poor. You use it every day, its the most used thing in the car and it feels like they have cut corners. Also the feeling I get that this car won't be anything that stands out in time to come as so many buy it. The accord, a nice car, nice looking car, nice rear lights and great drive..... just blends in, you don't notice it. I know its not in the same price bracket but so will this Lexus.

I don't buy for the badge or to stand out, however when you are spending nearly 30k on a new car its nice to. Maybe I just contradicted myself ;-)

Plus points;

The lighting, dash, controls, brakes, seats, air con and climate, attention to detail, build quality, dependable servicing, no doubt enjoyable lexus ownership experiance and shape/design of car.

Negative points;

driving position, steering wheel, nothing in the design that really stands out in the crowd (possibly a plus point for some however - due to price I want to be noticed a little more maybe), would prefer more power (however perfectly adequate for 95% of drivers), rear leg room, driving experiance doesn't beat BMW yet however its a MUCH better car than the BMW!

Overall;

I am thinking of buying one, however not made up my mind totally. So that should give you a feel of how good it is as I am very picky!

Napier

Reading through the recent posts there still seems to be a difference between the subjective thoughts about the steering and ride. Some say it's perfectly stable, while others comments on a slight nervous feel and a somewhat bouncy ride. I suppose it all comes down to what you're used to, or could it be variations in the actual cars, tyres, tracking, etc.

Does anyone have any views on how much difference would be noticed if the wheels went from 17" to 18" rims (available from Jan 2006), or would it still depend more on which tyres were fitted?

Thanks for the comments about the Sat Nav traffic avoidance, very helpful.

Last questions, has anyone actually got a car in Mesa Red yet? How does it look in the cold light of day (it looks fantastic under the showroom lights)? Has anyone used the Radar Cruise on a British road? Would you recommend it, or rather stick with the normal system?

Hi Lex-mike,

Put it this way as I should be able to give guidence on ride quality as I have gone from both extreemes and also had cars in the middle.

My Evo was a hard ride, you felt the bumps at slow speeds but when picking up speed you didn't notice any problems really (unless going over a very big pot hole). With the Lexus it is bouncy, springy even. Not a hard ride but as you are going along rather than in the last lexus IS200 where it soaked up bumps it more springs each time it hits one. You dont feel the bump through the chair, the suspension seems to be still handling them but it is far from soft. However soft is not good as it turns into wallowy and then you lumber round corners. My confidence was not imediate in the car, however the more you drive it the more you realise it is very stable. It feels solid, you are quite removed from the steering. What I mean by that is you point and it goes but there is little feel through the steering wheel (don't get me started on that steering wheel again!)..... the steering is light at slow speed as the power assist kicks in but it does in many cars. I liked the steering itself, no problem, as I said a little numb but I would be happy to live with it. The suspension again you would get used to, however for a Lexus I am certain your friends and family would be suprised it is not as soft and fluffy cloud like the last IS and other models by Lexus.

They are trying to give a better driving experiance, however they could have done with me to help out at the early stages I think :P

The red does look gorgeous however my Fiance hates the colour red so its a no no :tomato:

I may get one in black, would need another think about it though as the Evo IX is looking a possibility also. I have to weight up comfort and toys for handling and power.... even with the stupid BBQ spoiler on the rear the evo is currently ahead.

Napier

Reading through the recent posts there still seems to be a difference between the subjective thoughts about the steering and ride.  Some say it's perfectly stable, while others comments on a slight nervous feel and a somewhat bouncy ride.  I suppose it all comes down to what you're used to, or could it be variations in the actual cars, tyres, tracking, etc.

Does anyone have any views on how much difference would be noticed if the wheels went from 17" to 18" rims (available from Jan 2006), or would it still depend more on which tyres were fitted?

Last questions, has anyone actually got a car in Mesa Red yet?  How does it look in the cold light of day (it looks fantastic under the showroom lights)?  Has anyone used the Radar Cruise on a British road?  Would you recommend it, or rather stick with the normal system?

Reading through the recent posts there still seems to be a difference between the subjective thoughts about the steering and ride.  Some say it's perfectly stable, while others comments on a slight nervous feel and a somewhat bouncy ride.  I suppose it all comes down to what you're used to, or could it be variations in the actual cars, tyres, tracking, etc.

Last questions, has anyone actually got a car in Mesa Red yet?  How does it look in the cold light of day (it looks fantastic under the showroom lights)?  Has anyone used the Radar Cruise on a British road?  Would you recommend it, or rather stick with the normal system?

I have read up on ACC in the past...it is good in some scenarios, but believe me (spending most of my life in a traffic jam in the fast lane), in this country everyone always wants to jump in front of you in the outside lane, and if you set it to say 50 meters, it's like inviting every White Van-Man, Mondeo and Vectra into that space....Unless you have PCS, I believe it won't break hardenough, so you'll still throw the anchor out all of the time....

As far as ride is concerned, it is to taste...my Audi has a firmish ride, but is "sprung" and feels slightly wallowy, especially through bends and has a tendancy to pitch when breaking. The IS feels well planted to the tarmac and feels like it's on rails...around town you do feel it jitter slightly over pot holes, but it's not harsh (i.e. it does not detract from driving and hurt through the seats). When you take fast corners it is very stable, and is not bouncy at motorway speeds...or the one I drove wasn't! The road noise is a humming that you have to listen out for. However, this is only really 'cos it's so damn quiet inside.

I saw a small oval painted metal thingamy in Mesa red - funnily it's the colour I want. It's nothing like the brochure. The closest I could compare it to is Peugeots Diablo red (in the showroom light). Most people are buying Black, slate, Blue or silver, and 3-4 years time will mean that the world will look Black, Blue, Silver to any alien visiting planet earth and landing in Blitey! It's just different, and I think it might look good....just thought...planet earth does look Black, blue and silvery from outer space.... :duh:

• 3 weeks later...
Can't say, as mine is new and I will not be rev'ing it for some time  :blush:

I can say that when you drive it normally, you hear nothing from the engine and little from the pipes. When you push it a bit harder you hear the pipes.

Ah this is an 05 Plate. I only did that to show a mate how nice it sounded, as the thought his Peugeot 306 T16 sounded better. His car may go faster, but mine sure does sound a lot nicer, even when pushed to the red line!

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on the comfort or otherwise of the fabric seats on the IS 250 base model ? This is what I am considering along with the MM option, but my local dealer does not have any of these for me to look at.

I have a test drive booked on Sunday in a SE model and I sure the leather seats will be great, but my budget dictates either MM or SE, not both.

If I do go for the base model, I will probably have to travel to a dealer with one to try out, but any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Andy,

this was my dilemma. I tried the fabric seats. The Bolstored parts are a rough tweady fabric (good quality), and the facings and squabs are made from shinier material with embroidered pattern (again good quality, but...).

If you pinch it to check it's thickness, it feels OK, but if you look at the base of the seat squab where it meets the backrest, it can start to stretch and get ripply, and it was like that already on the drivers seat of the one's I tested (one in Birmingham and one in Leicester).

I was concerned that it may not wear well, or that if it did, it would get slightly stretchy. We checked it over several times, and in the end I was 50/50...so ended up going for the SE/MM, even though it was slightly over budget...I thinks it's worth the extra...

I think the Aussie version is the best - you get standard 16" wheels and leather - 'cos the 17" 245 tyres do roar much more. The benefit of the base is that you do get a slightly comfier ride and less road noise (on some surfaces much less...).

Hope this helps.

One other thing, I know some of the guys prefer the Beige interiors, but the one in Leicester (both test drive model and showroom car inspite of leather) was already getting "stained" - stick with the darker colours!

PS - the MM really compliments the car...

This latest review, http://parkers.mirror.co.uk/choosing/carre...x?model_id=1425 although more favourable than "what-car" is nice to read, and gives the car a positive image.

However ...I did notice one or two errors in specifications quoted IE

"the rear seats fold / split " - they dont ! ( a feature incidentally that the BMW 3 series has got in its favour )

" The sport version gives you memory seats" - well so does the SE-L !

I don't buy these magazines as they seem to me to be overpriced and stuffed with BMW ads, but are these kind of errors common ? If so....it makes them even less worthwhile than ever.