Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is250 Test Drive

Hi all I just registered with this forum. Lots of useful and interesting comments on here.

I am just getting ready to trade in my IS200 sport for a new IS250 but cannot make up my mind on which to go for. I'd like a 250 Sport with Auto gearbox, but that's not available. Is there any chance one will come along later? Also had anyone tinkered with the auto gearbox change settings apparently you can adjust for faster / slower changes. I haven't read that anywhere yet though.

Biggest disappointment to me is the cost of the multimedia option which is a bit over the top if all you want is the sat nav. I like the rear camera as even my current car is difficult to just when reversing, but at £2700 it's quite a chunk of change....

Keep the reviews coming - they're excellent.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all I just registered with this forum. Lots of useful and interesting comments on here.

I am just getting ready to trade in my IS200 sport for a new IS250 but cannot make up my mind on which to go for. I'd like a 250 Sport with Auto gearbox, but that's not available. Is there any chance one will come along later? Also had anyone tinkered with the auto gearbox change settings apparently you can adjust for faster / slower changes. I haven't read that anywhere yet though.

Biggest disappointment to me is the cost of the multimedia option which is a bit over the top if all you want is the sat nav. I like the rear camera as even my current car is difficult to just when reversing, but at £2700 it's quite a chunk of change....

Hi Rogers and welcome to the club.

£2700 seems steep for the MM but it is well worth the money. Not only do you get an excellent Sat Nav (best in the industry I believe) but also a cracking Mark Levinson sound system which sounds awesome (300 watts, no distortion), six disc DVD player, the ability to play DVDs with the 5.1 surround sound which goes with it, a very good rear parking camera, Bluetooth phone connection which works seamlessly and finally, voice activation of the climate, audio, phone and sat nav systems.

Dunno about the Sport with an auto, somehow I cant really see Lexus doing it. What is it that you like about the sport ? I believe the 250 se-l is pretty close to the sport in terms of equipment levels and I'm sure you'll be able to add some of the sporty stuff as aftermarket; 18 inch wheels, pedals etc. You'd lose the seats and the suspension though.

Hi Rogers and welcome to the club.

£2700 seems steep for the MM but it is well worth the money. Not only do you get an excellent Sat Nav (best in the industry I believe) but also a cracking Mark Levinson sound system which sounds awesome (300 watts, no distortion), six disc DVD player, the ability to play DVDs with the 5.1 surround sound which goes with it, a very good rear parking camera, Bluetooth phone connection which works seamlessly and finally, voice activation of the climate, audio, phone and sat nav systems.

Dunno about the Sport with an auto, somehow I cant really see Lexus doing it. What is it that you like about the sport ? I believe the 250 se-l is pretty close to the sport in terms of equipment levels and I'm sure you'll be able to add some of the sporty stuff as aftermarket; 18 inch wheels, pedals etc. You'd lose the seats and the suspension though.

Yes, I have read more and more about the MM and am coming round to the idea of it. I have a sport now and I know mechanically it's not really much different, but on the IS200 i just love the little details like the spoiler, pedals and kick plates. Also I guess I am trying to optimise my choice to get everything I want below £30k.

Cheers

Had a test drive of an IS250SE last week and took it back after 3 hours. Notchy gear-box in 2nd,4th and 6th and skittish ride over bad bits of road. Wife not impressed either so she found a low milage IS200SE to replace my existing one. Great car- decisions-decisions. Not a very good trade in so just asked what a basis IS250 would cost even thought we were both dissapointed with first impreessions, and we have been waiting a long time for thismodel. How about an IS250Sport says the salesman, better box, 18" wheels, stiffer suspension, just happen to have one here. Now i thought they were not being released until April, but he had one in the showroom and they are putting it on the road and we will get a test drive this saturday. Is this a first?

So many choices with the auto box. Position the selector to the right of Drive and use the paddle shifts behind the steering wheel, or if you're on a twisty road which makes the paddles difficult to use then use the selector as you would a normal gear (forward to shift up sequentially and back to shift down). Then there's the ECT power switch for improved acceleration. When you get bored with playing leave it in auto... :lol:

Had a test drive of an IS250SE last week and took it back after 3 hours. Notchy gear-box in 2nd,4th and 6th and skittish ride over bad bits of road. Wife not impressed either so she found a low milage IS200SE to replace my existing one. Great car- decisions-decisions. Not a very good trade in so just asked what a basis IS250 would cost even thought we were both dissapointed with first impreessions, and we have been waiting a long time for thismodel. How about an IS250Sport says the salesman, better box, 18" wheels, stiffer suspension, just happen to have one here. Now i thought they were not being released until April, but he had one in the showroom and they are putting it on the road and we will get a test drive this saturday. Is this a first?

well, honestly if you dont like the ride of SE, how will you like stiffer Sport?

As to the gearbox, just give it 5,000 miles and it will be smooth as butter, as every other Toyota gearbox...

well, honestly if you dont like the ride of SE, how will you like stiffer Sport?

As to the gearbox, just give it 5,000 miles and it will be smooth as butter, as every other Toyota gearbox...

This is just so interesting...

I drove 3 new IS's - 2 manuals and one auto. The Auto was spectacular - and the manuals very precise...not notchy at all...is it just me that thinks the gearbox's are all fine on cars that have all done less then 100 miles???

I drive lots of different cars all of the time (mainly Alamo/National rentals), and may be "new" New IS is just not as notchy as everything else on the road :duh:

This is just so interesting...

I drove 3 new IS's - 2 manuals and one auto. The Auto was spectacular - and the manuals very precise...not notchy at all...is it just me that thinks the gearbox's are all fine on cars that have all done less then 100 miles???

I drive lots of different cars all of the time (mainly Alamo/National rentals), and may be "new" New IS is just not as notchy as everything else on the road :duh:

Very interesting, first 100 miles or so was with a very notchy gear box. After 500 miles I have a notchy second gear and that's it. It should all be fine after a couple of 1000, once I've crashed through the gear box a few more times and taken off some of the rough edges :D :D

Of course being an auto driver for the last 10 years could have something to do with it :blush:

So the Jan 2006 for the UK are in;

Lexus = 1157, +73% increase on Jan 2005

BMW = 3875, -13% downturn on Jan 2005

Sounds bang on what Lexus were expecting, would be good to know exact IS sales and how they are doing in Europe.

UK IS sales were 608 in January 2006 compared with 232 for January 2005.

Out of interest, what MPG have other 220d drivers been getting?

Out of interest, what MPG have other 220d drivers been getting?

Only done 100 miles or so 80 of which motorway, showing 34 mph at the moment.

Not too impressed at the moment. :duh:

Hmmm, hope there's not a pattern emerging here, me I'm on 35mpg after 500 miles, also not impressed.

Sounds bang on what Lexus were expecting, would be good to know exact IS sales and how they are doing in Europe.

Could you please tell me where you got the figures from? Lexus UK never seem to make them public (probably because they are usually so small). Anyway the increase looks good; on the other hand I do not want them to become as common as BMWs :P

Could you please tell me where you got the figures from? Lexus UK never seem to make them public (probably because they are usually so small). Anyway the increase looks good; on the other hand I do not want them to become as common as BMWs :P

I don't know where autobeach (sorry, previously credited petrol_head) got them from, but they're available here:

http://lib.smmt.co.uk/articles/news/News/ACF24CA.zip

I used the SMMT site as outlined by Spike69.

For calender year 2005 Lexus sold 10.5K cars (an +5%), I mention this because I was told that Lexus were aiming for 12-14K in 2006, can't remember if this figure was only IS sales or for the brand. The interesting bit is that I was also told that Lexus are aiming for 20K+ in 2007 - which to me means new models/ variants must be in the pipeline - don't you just wish Lexus would publish the info!

Even at those sales levels BMW will sell 5 cars to every Lexus - which will help protect Lexus residuals and the marque.

thanks for the info :)

Talking about expansion; do you think there is a real possiblity for a higher powered model to arrive in the UK (something like a manual is350 would do)? I refuse to believe that europe will be given two drivetrians to choose from when Lexus wants to challenge the 3-series, with its very many choices.

And I'm getting around 35, although have only done 200 miles, but it doesn't sound promising.

its winter time and that engine has 177hp. It can not spend less fuel than 130hp Audi or 120hp BMW.

UPDATE - my first tank averaged 36.4mpg on the trip computer, but I calculated at 37.6mpg. My current tank is averaging 38.5mpg on the trip, so definately improving.

And I'm getting around 35, although have only done 200 miles, but it doesn't sound promising.

its winter time and that engine has 177hp. It can not spend less fuel than 130hp Audi or 120hp BMW.

UPDATE - my first tank averaged 36.4mpg on the trip computer, but I calculated at 37.6mpg. My current tank is averaging 38.5mpg on the trip, so definately improving.

A 320d is 163bhp...

Mid 30's is a bit poor, but really it depends on where the majority of miles are done (i.e average speed, number of stops etc).

It should improve by 10% or so over the first few 000 miles. My A4 went from 51mpg on my regular jaunt down south to 56-58 MPg at a steady 70 over 10000 miles...made hardly any difference at any other speeds...Just watch the oil consumption.

• 1 year later...

hey guys, this is my first ever post on this forum, and it is a bit premature (i will explain). the ride on the is250 is perfectly fine, unless you have 18" wheels. drove an se-l auto with 18" 'hoshi' alloys, and it was a bit jiggly on the motorway. then drove an se auto on the standard 17s and it was fine. i was going to go for an se auto in caspian sky, not really liking the se-l wood, and having a portable satnav. however, was offered 27,500 (inc my £2000 part-ex) for an ex-demo se-l with multimedia in brechin slate. fell in love with it instantly, and basically bought it. waiting for the money to be arranged and then will collect it. i think we should all have a sort of 'long term test' type section, where owners can post their experiences. what do you guys think? also put in some pics of my new car!

post-22580-1200837765.jpg

post-22580-1200837787.jpg

• 9 months later...

Heya

I am not exactly a Lexus owner, I am just test driving one. But I was hoping to get this a smy next car. I have taken Lexus up on their offer of the 2 day test drive. I normally drive a VW Polo.

I chose the IS250SE as it is the smaller car and I like nippy small cars with attitude and the Golf is just too expensive for what it is.

I have now had the car for 2 hrs, driven it around South London for a while and I have to say that I am sadly very disappointed and I am even considering bringing the car back early.

Interior style is great and comfortable, though not overly so. I find the ride comfort quite bumpy and thats coming from a Polo with sports suspension. The engine is quiet, but the tyres do make quite a bit of noise. But my absolute main gripe is the visibility ! If the windows would have been any smaller, it could have sold as a tank ! Even the windscreen seem titchy and I have to sit up to see out properly. Worst is the view through the passenger side window. Not only is the front beam (whatever you call it) placed very awkwardly and very thick, at least another 30% of the view is taken up by that massive door mirror. I am 5'4" and I am really struggling, permanently scared to miss a biker as I just wouldn't be able to see them when coming out of a side road. The view inside the side-mirrors is very good though, and I think this is the first car, that I have driven, that doesn't seem to have a dead-spot, I am able to see the whole length of the car.

Rear view is very bad as well, but having a Polo, it's something I am a bit more used to. What is annoying, is the car I am driving has cream interior, which reflects heavily off the back window, directly and through the rear-view mirror, so the visibility isn't clear. Looks like it's dimmed down all the time.

I am driving the automatic version, so can't comment on sticky gear boxes. The automatic performs ok-ish, but it's difficult to get a smooth start, although I am just not used to automatics and always find them a bit weird. Could be just my driving, but you can certainly feel it moving through the gears with a slight powerloss when shifting, not as smooth as my dad's Automatic Merc.

I just can't believe how disappointed I am. It has all the creature comforts one needs for a fraction of the price of a german car, everything inside feels solid and made to last, but it hasn't got the nippyness of the Polo, the seats are more comfortable, but it still feels like a rough ride. I don't mind a rough ride in a sporty car, but it does feel more like a family saloon than a sporty car so I expected the smoothness of a Merc or Jag. And the visibility is just insane, especially as most of my driving is in London rush hour traffic with push-bikes and scooters coming at me from every angle, I need to be able to see them. I am taking the car out on country roads tomorrow and a bit of motorway, see how it feels there, but considering this is not my main use of the car, I really can't see myself getting one.....will have to rethink, sadly :crybaby:

It's obviously not the car for you, but saying it's not as nippy as a VW Polo would cause me to at least question your reasoning on what you expected. :unsure: ...The SE is a small exec/family saloon so why did you think it was a sport saloon?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Thanks a lot for all your comments. I find them very helpful. I'm thinking of buying IS 250 and am trying to get as much info on it as I can. Just a few comments regarding the last few posts:

I think you're very lucky in the UK to be able to test-drive a Lexus for 2 days. I'm about to schedule my test drive and all they can give me is... 15 min in Canada!

Also, it's quite interesting for me to hear the "European" perspective. Originally, I was looking to buy BMW 328/335i, but after taking a closer look at the interior, I was hugely disappointed - it didn't look anything like a "luxury" car. Very basic interior! Then I started to look at the alternatives. Having been to Japan a few times and knowing firsthand about Japanese quality, the choice was easy - Lexus, Infinity, or Acura. Narrowed it down to Lexus.

Now, the more I compare BMW to Lexus, the more I seem to like the latter. I still need to get more info on it before I make the final decision. Don't think it'll be a Bimmer though. Most likely one of the Japanese cars.

Regarding the cabin size and visibility, I agree with Madpiano - it is quite restricted. I have noticed that the windshield in both BMW 3 and IS250 is quite small. I felt I was sitting in a cockpit. Perhaps that's the feel they are going for in these sport cars (in Canada IS250 is advertized as Sport Luxury Sedan).

The seats in Lexus were much more comfortable than in BMW and I liked the interior lights. I'll have to go for a test drive next to see what else I like/dislike about it. Hopefully, there'll be more things to like!

• 2 months later...
Heya

I am not exactly a Lexus owner, I am just test driving one. But I was hoping to get this a smy next car. I have taken Lexus up on their offer of the 2 day test drive. I normally drive a VW Polo.

I chose the IS250SE as it is the smaller car and I like nippy small cars with attitude and the Golf is just too expensive for what it is.

I have now had the car for 2 hrs, driven it around South London for a while and I have to say that I am sadly very disappointed and I am even considering bringing the car back early.

Interior style is great and comfortable, though not overly so. I find the ride comfort quite bumpy and thats coming from a Polo with sports suspension. The engine is quiet, but the tyres do make quite a bit of noise. But my absolute main gripe is the visibility ! If the windows would have been any smaller, it could have sold as a tank ! Even the windscreen seem titchy and I have to sit up to see out properly. Worst is the view through the passenger side window. Not only is the front beam (whatever you call it) placed very awkwardly and very thick, at least another 30% of the view is taken up by that massive door mirror. I am 5'4" and I am really struggling, permanently scared to miss a biker as I just wouldn't be able to see them when coming out of a side road. The view inside the side-mirrors is very good though, and I think this is the first car, that I have driven, that doesn't seem to have a dead-spot, I am able to see the whole length of the car.

Rear view is very bad as well, but having a Polo, it's something I am a bit more used to. What is annoying, is the car I am driving has cream interior, which reflects heavily off the back window, directly and through the rear-view mirror, so the visibility isn't clear. Looks like it's dimmed down all the time.

I am driving the automatic version, so can't comment on sticky gear boxes. The automatic performs ok-ish, but it's difficult to get a smooth start, although I am just not used to automatics and always find them a bit weird. Could be just my driving, but you can certainly feel it moving through the gears with a slight powerloss when shifting, not as smooth as my dad's Automatic Merc.

I just can't believe how disappointed I am. It has all the creature comforts one needs for a fraction of the price of a german car, everything inside feels solid and made to last, but it hasn't got the nippyness of the Polo, the seats are more comfortable, but it still feels like a rough ride. I don't mind a rough ride in a sporty car, but it does feel more like a family saloon than a sporty car so I expected the smoothness of a Merc or Jag. And the visibility is just insane, especially as most of my driving is in London rush hour traffic with push-bikes and scooters coming at me from every angle, I need to be able to see them. I am taking the car out on country roads tomorrow and a bit of motorway, see how it feels there, but considering this is not my main use of the car, I really can't see myself getting one.....will have to rethink, sadly :crybaby:

I have a tip for you-test drive a GS! The difference is vast.

My car an, 05 GS, is in for a service and I have been given an IS250SR. After driving this I am so glad I bought the GS. The IS seats dug into my sides and I was uncomfortable after 30mins driving. The cabin is lovely and so is the car, but to me nothing special, well, I've been spoiled by the GS. You can buy a GS for the same price as an IS, older but In my opinion, better. Don't worry about the size either, you will soon get used to it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links