Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is250 Test Drive

Must agree with all your comments , I have had an IS 250 SEL for a couple of months now and im still thrilled every time I drive it, it has the Mark Levinson stereo and multiDVD player etc and of course the magic parking aid . All Fantastic , it has the black leather so no reflection problems and the heated seats are fabulous when your stuck in the snow .. :whistling: go on treat yourself !

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a fairly long test drive over 4 years and 60k miles from new in the IS250 SE Auto with multimedia pack. :D

My verdict is that overall the IS is a 'Good' car, however this will depend largely on what you are personally looking for..

The Not so Good:

Cabin noise levels could be quieter particularly at speed, there is a little too much tyre roar.

The subjective performance (throttle response) is just adequate for a car in this class, unfortunately the engine lacks

low end torque (pull) and you need to drop gears or use revs to get the IS moving. It does have power but it's not pleasantly

accessible.

Steering is sharp and precise but can become fatiguing on long runs. You have to constantly input minor corrections, this has been an issue

in all the IS's I've driven to a greater or lesser degree. Later cars do appear to have a little more steering 'self centering' and you can have the toe

adjusted to help tram-lining but it could be better.

There are various rattles and creaks in the cabin that come and go with temperature, it all feels well screwed together but on my

particular car they can be annoying at certain times of year, very hot or very cold. Cabin wind noise could also be improved at speed,

the door acoustic seal performance is not as good as some other cars I've owned in the same class.

Ride quality is very dependent on road surface quality and speed, ranging from good to quite poor. Damping is good at speed but poor when

travelling slowly over uneven roads.

Wheel corrosion is a problem on the 17" SE alloy wheels, I've had three sets under warranty and the last set within 12 months are starting

to bubble again. This is really poor given Lexus's stated commitment to quality! :angry:

The Good:

The car has been superbly reliable in virtually every respect. Everything just keeps working like new. The car does not feel much

different to a brand new IS loan car after 4 years and 60k of normal driving. :)

Wheels aside the exterior of the car still looks fresh. Paint and trim seems to have weathered well.

The economy for a 2.5 V6 Auto has been very respectable, it has dropped a little since new but is still averaging 35 mpg on mixed

driving and can reach 40 mpg + on extended motorway runs.

The 6 speed auto box is very smooth and makes the car relaxing to drive in stop start motoring, it's also more economical than the manual

and results in very little engine noise at all speeds.

The Multimedia Nav/Phone pack although now dated in not having the very latest features (no full digit post code search, A2DP steaming on Bluetooth etc.)

is absolutely brilliant in its reliability, quality of graphics and sound.

The heating/ventilation and climate control is so good you don't even think about it. The programming seems perfect in that the windows are always clear,

you are never too hot, cold or blasted through the system unnecessarily.

Seats are comfy and easily adjusted if a little on the narrow side, I'm not large :hehe: ! Controls are well placed, work smoothly and the instrumentation

is beautifully clear.

Brakes are effective if lacking a little progression, they are too ON/OFF but you get used to them and they stop the car well.

The IS is a relaxing car to drive and own. The IS does not entice you into being aggressive :devil: and you feel quite content just going with the flow. :driving:

Other drivers also let you out of side turnings and don't harass you on motorways which is a bonus.

All in all I would give the IS 7.5/10.

If the steering was a little less twitchy, the low speed ride a little smoother, wind noise better at speed and the engine more willing at low revs then it would be

close to perfect for a small compact exec. Lexus dealers are also great even after you've purchased the car, they are exceptional compared to all the others I've come into contact with.

Would I buy an IS again from new - absolutely NOT, second hand - absolutely YES. Hope this is helpful to somebody :)

I must say I agree with pretty much all of that......but then I did buy secondhand! Had I paid new money for the car I would be seriously disappointed with the downmarket feel that all the creaks and rattles give the car. I can't really comment on reliability yet but the one trip to the dealer due to have squeaks/rattles cured and the door mirror fixed is one more trip than I have needed in the past six years with Subarus.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links