Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is250 Test Drive

I am no Journo.. but here is a brief write up.. please feel free to ask me any questions. If you wanna see pics then see this gallery.. I will add more plus I shall be uploading VIDEO..yeeehaaah!

Click Here to See IS250 Test Drive Gallery

2nd November 2005

Test drive he new Lexus IS250 by Steve

gallery_1293_0_650196.jpg

Raining miserably all day was not going to put me off driving the new IS, afterall its another newborn baby to LOC and probably a car that has atracted more attention lately than any of the other line up, so rain or shine... we must get the info to those dying to see more info.

On first thoughts I liked the look of the new IS although the colour was not to my best liking. But thats your choice when purchasing I guess.

Upon approaching the car I was informed that the key fob had perimeter contolled locking. This means I can keep the keyfob in my pocket.. when i approach the car it detects the fob and all I do is simply open the door. No locks or fumbling with keys, just simply open the door and get in.

First impression of the interior was how good the interior was on this car. Even though we had the basic audio system with no Sat nav the layout was well spaced out in my thoughts and quite easy to use after a few minutes. The non Sat Nav option has LCD displays which is not that bad. As I am tall and the seats is right back on the runners I still do not have to lean across to use the buttons and everything seems to be in reach.

gallery_1293_0_96453.jpg

Even though you could not swing a cat inside the cabin area you certainly could swing a kitten. I felt there was more room than the previous IS.

My gripe about the cabin area is the electric window console is placed at a strange angle and did not feel that comfortable to use. You certainly could not rest your hand in that area and could be a fumble point.

The perimeter contolled fob still has its uses even while your sat in the car. Again no keys to fumble or no clanging keys whilst on rough ground or road, Simply press the START button on the dash and the car starts automatically... This is a very good feature to this car.

The almost silent engine pulls very nicely and you know you are in an elegant car as you would expect, but Lexus really have done well with the cabin sound proofing. Road noise is apparent due to the low profile tyres as much to be expected but it was not that bad at all even at 70.

gallery_1293_0_821272.jpg

Rear vision is restricted quite a bit on this car. I did feel the side window line was quite high leaving the back area quite hard to see out when reversing and that back pillar is much too wide. You will definatly need reverse parking sensors for this car as I just just could not estimate the rear end. Another bad point was that any light interior cloth on the back parcel shelf reflects on the back window making it hard to see out of the rear unless your looking through centre rear view mirror.. the reflection then disspears. I guess dark interiors would be a better option to eliminate this.

gallery_1293_0_159599.jpg

Driving through country roads was great and the handling was good although I could not test that much due to bad weather road conditions. Braking was superb in the wet weather too.

When powering up the engine had quite a bit of power and I felt happy with the power the car delivered. The high end engine notes were quite pleasing to the ear too. I liked the paddle change gear box alot and something to do when you are bored of driving an auto. Gearbox gave nice smooth transisitions.

Audio

For a basic audio system in this car it is not a bad one neither so goodness knows what the Mark Levinson system would sound like.

Seating

The drivers seats are very comfortable and supportive on the back of the legs and the back of the chair comfortable and supportive. Soft leather which doesnt creek or groan like the old Lexus Leather. All electric with Lumbar control as usual.

Rear seating was as comfortbale but stingey for leg room and I found getting out the back doors were restricted by the rear wheel arch in your ribs, but then a plump guy like me has problems getting out of bed! its roll off and land on your feet.

Rear Boot

BIG!... certainly fit grandma on that vacation and even a couple of noisey kids too! Lexus have given a large boot unlike the old IS, So should be more family friendly with those prams etc.

Features I liked

Speedomter changes brightness when it gets dark outside

Speedmoter displays a amber ring when you go over 70

Trip computer was someting i liked.. always nice to know how much fuel your using.

Split temprature controls, so passenger can have different temprature to the driver.

Strap brakcets and Pockets in the boot

Perimeter controlled fob (good quality fob too)

MP3 Compatable stereo unit

I liked the whole blimmin car dammit!!!!

Dislikes

Anything to do with looking out the back, the rear view was not to my liking.

Rear Window Reflection

Electric Window Console positioning

Would I buy one?? YOU BET I WOULD!!!

Click Here to See IS250 Test Drive Gallery

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good point mate... also how far do you have to be before it no longer works

It is good though as you do not need to use your keys at all.. infact there is no key hole at all.

So how's it locked? Just get out and walk away? :duh:

black button on the handle or you can control by fob as well. You do have buttons on fob so i guess it can be controlled.. also boot release

I think you have to be actually next to the car for it to actually open the door... i reckon about 2 or 3 feet.

The key forb needs to be with you as you touch the car for it to unlock apparently. It also senses when you sit in teh drivers seat, then you just push down the break pedal and press teh start button...

The only think I wasn't too keen on was the Renault style start button. It is exactly the same as can be found in teh Laguna and Meganes with key card, except this doesnt have the card slot.

It's a shame the one you were in didnt have the media package in. The reversing aid is amazing, it even has a parallel parking mode!.. MAD!!!

Audio is excellent, all touch screen. Sat Nav appears better also. Lumber support is nice as well!...

Shame I didnt take it out for a spin up the road and back realy! :(

If you have sat in the new GS300, this is very very similar. Cant comment on the window controles etc myself as it was chucking it down so didnt bother with them, just spent 10 mins playing with the touch screen system :)

Oh and the dials when they come on are very nice also :) They guy I was in the car with mentioned something about being able to adjust teh colour, though I think he may have been on about the actual brightness instead.

There is a fleet of 3 moving around the dealers for test drives prior to the actual launch date.

On recollection one of the comments I made about teh paddle shift was that there was only 1 up and 1 down and not a pair on each side of the wheel... (if that makes sense). For the old 1 handed driving gansta's amongst us this may be a problem as we'll have to move both hands onto the wheel to chenge up/down instread of finger and thumb on one hand whilst the other hand is polishing one's bling ;) :lol:

I must admit I took a double if not tripple take at the rear of the cars as I thought I was seeing things, not expecting the 250 to be in the dealers yet!.

Steve, how long had you had your test drive organised? You kept that quiet ;)

On recollection one of the comments I made about teh paddle shift was that there was only 1 up and 1 down and not a pair on each side of the wheel... (if that makes sense).  For the old 1 handed driving gansta's amongst us this may be a problem as we'll have to move both hands onto the wheel to chenge up/down instread of finger and thumb on one hand whilst the other hand is polishing one's bling ;) :lol:

I must admit I took a double if not tripple take at the rear of the cars as I thought I was seeing things, not expecting the 250 to be in the dealers yet!.

Steve, how long had you had your test drive organised? You kept that quiet ;)

I only knew i was gonna be driving one about 18 hours before hand

2 Videos.. not exciting but shows you powering up and yuou can hear some engine tones.

Please note it may sound noisey but this was where the camera was mounted. You can here my fingers rub the sterring wheel which indicates how quiet it actually is... especialy the second video.. both are between 10-13 meg in size

First Video of IS250

second video of IS250

Third Video of IS250

fourth Video of IS250

Ahh I actually speak in this video... how to open a door and start an engine LOL

More to follow

2 Videos.. not exciting but shows you powering up and yuou can hear some engine tones.

Please note it may sound noisey but this was where the camera was mounted. You can here my fingers rub the sterring wheel which indicates how quiet it actually is... especialy the second video.. both are between 10-13 meg in size

First Video of IS250

** Removed second video**

More to follow

Be careful with that second video steve, it shows a couple of naughty things ;)

I do like the red line indication by lighting up a red circle in the instrument though :)

Here are all the vids in one post.. I am all vidoed out as I am tired.. will try and do more later

Been a long day and I hope you like the photos and video i got for you folks.. hope you enjoy... just wished it was a better day.

First Video of IS250

** Removed second video**

Third Video of IS250

fourth Video of IS250

Ahh I actually speak in this video... how to open a door and start an engine LOL

drive by.. not as good as i wanted it to be