Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200/is300 Price Drop?

Mattie

Used Lexus IS prices have taken a big drop recently,I have had my IS300 NAV on Ebay and advertised locally for the past week or so but not much interest at all,even at a price much lower than I paid for it in June this year,seems I am going to have to reuce it further and take a big loss.

People know there is a new model due out and are using this as a bargaining tool to try and get the original IS at a much lower price.

Was yours the blue one with Styling Kit on a few weeks back?

No mine is Platinum Ice and is re-advertised on eBay at the moment,had lots of emails making silly offers but I am not desperate to sell at a silly price.

Okay, cool, good luck with the sale, if it was the blue one, then I might have had a few words with you. :winky:

Reasons cars depreciate.....

1) New model due later in year makes some owners sell early to avoid loss, market begins to flood and prices fall a little.

2) New model news causes lack of confidence in the current model so used car buyers want a deal.

3) New model makes dealerships who employ "order takers" rather than salesman start to discount and distress sell the last of the current stock causing similar drops right through the used market.

4) Arrival of the new car means that from the launch date, the network becomes flooded with part exchanges overnight, again causing prices to drop.

5) Finally, when the 1st privately owned new models hit the used car scene after about 12 months, old model prices fall a little further.

We are just coming up to part four......

On a slightly different note, and I really don't want to offend anyone here, but unless Mr Parker is willing to send you a cheque in the post and come and collect your car, his guide is best left amongst the comics at Sainsbury's where it came from. Same goes for all the other "guides"... and yes, Glasses too!

I feel sorry for car buyers, the media do a really good job of confusing and making the whole car buying experience far more complicated than it needs to be.

Yes information is power, and yes there is lots of valuable info out there to help inexperienced buyers avoid traps and pitfalls - that stuff is great, but all the car values in the mags and guides that people buy really isn't worth the paper it is written on.

I wish I'd thought of Parkers guide, then it would be called "Mole's Guide" and I'd be rich instead.

A used car, retail or part exchange, is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Simple as that.

If we have six similar cars for sale and none of them sell, they are too expensive, if we lower the price until they start to sell, that is what they are worth at that particular time, the guides are meaningless.

Same for your part exchange. Parkers comic may say that your car is worth £4k, but if we phone 5 of our most reliable underwriters with an accurate description of your car, and the underwrites all say it is worth between £2800 and £3200, that is what it is worth.

Problem is, most people buy a car every two to three years on average and shell out a few quid to buy a price guide. Who cares if it isn't accurate, no ones is going to take it back for a refund?

Moral of the story, well, I'm not sure there is one other than don't take too much notice of "guides".

2nd hand prices for the 99/00 models are all over the place.  They jump from around 5.5k to all about 7k within a few weeks.  If people can't sell I don't know why the prices aren't coming down.  I have been after a nice example for upto 7k since Easter and I am still without one.

In light of the new IS250 being released, what price would you think reasonable for a 2004 (registered 2005) IS200SE Nav & full beige leather with 2k on the clock?

Well on the basis mine is 8000 miles, one year old, mint!!! I have just traded it in for an estate car, which I am not going to tell you the make to avoid all the ribbing! And I was offered 12k for it!!! 12 stinking K!!!!

I advertised it at £14,995 ono and would have taken 14.5k and did not get a single call.

These cars have depreciated something terrible!!!

However saying that, it is approaching Xmas and the new model has just come out, so who knows, sales may pick up in time, but I doubt it....

Be prepared to lose some cash buddy, I just bit the bullet and went for it, managed to get £13,250 on the trade in and I think the garage was being generous to close the sale.

Recently went to the IS250 launch preview at my local Lexus dealer - nice enough motor and IF I was in the market for a new car, Lexus would be first choice.

They have been trying to persuade me to upgrade, but to get the IS300 Nav spec in the new model is going to set me back well over £30K (remember, the only way I can get HIDs on the new car is to go for the eye-wateringly expensive SE-L option). Thing is my '300 cost me around £30K back in March 2003. I dread to think what the dealer would offer by way of p/x.... £10K perhaps? (The car is mint and has done just 22K miles).