Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 250 Dealer Discount

Hello :)

I'm new to the forum. I went to my local Lexus dealer to look at the new IS 250, I really fancy one. I've got a test drive booked for next week.

Im torn between the SE and SE-L models, the only options I want on either one is metallic paint and the auto box. With these options, the RRP for the SE is £26,910 and the SE-L £29,510

My question is, what sort of discount could I expect through haggling?

"www.drivethedeal.co.uk" offers a discount of £626.80 on the SE-L and £540.80 on the SE (both of these with the two optional extras above). Can this be bettered? I was hoping to get the £1000 auto box for free :blush: as thats effectively only an approximate 3-4% discount on the total list price. Is this achievable?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers :D

if they won't drop the price to try and match internet price (ask anyway) they will drop the interest APR for the finance....

Cheers mate.

Without me even commenting on the ridiculous interest rate of 13.7% that the salesman quoted, he dropped it to 10% to bring the monthly payments down. Again, he did this of his own accord and no prompting.

I was originally planning to do a PCP, but now I don't think its worth it. I will probably put down something like £20K and finance the rest through a high street bank loan. Just as an example, Nationwide's APR is only 6.7%

As a result, Lexus won't be making any money out of me finance wise (unless they match/better the high street bak APR on loans).

I have not discussed discounts etc with the salesman, I'm going to wait until I've had my test drive :)

Discount................?

I despair, I truely depair.

Thanks for taking the time to post such an informative and oh so helpfull reply, your input is truely valued and most appreciated.

To everyone else, cheers :)

No offence, it just saddens me that before a car is even launched, especially one as superb as the new Lexus, there might be a rogue dealer offering to dicount the product?

The car is excellent, worth the money and already on a growing waiting list.

There is just no need to discount it and risk residual values.

I understand the consumers thirst for a 'deal', I am no different, but c'mon, the car isn't even launched yet!

As for dealers discounting the new GS straight away....? Doesn't show much confidence in the brand or product does it?

I never buy a car without a discount. Risiduals are never protected. I find it better to get money off when buying the car rather than hoping i'll see something back at trade in. I plan to buy an IS250 next year - my 4th new Lexus. If the salesman wants to keep a regular customer, he'll do a deal.

Discount................?

I despair, I truely depair.

Thanks for taking the time to post such an informative and oh so helpfull reply, your input is truely valued and most appreciated.

To everyone else, cheers :)

No offence, it just saddens me that before a car is even launched, especially one as superb as the new Lexus, there might be a rogue dealer offering to dicount the product?

The car is excellent, worth the money and already on a growing waiting list.

There is just no need to discount it and risk residual values.

I understand the consumers thirst for a 'deal', I am no different, but c'mon, the car isn't even launched yet!

As for dealers discounting the new GS straight away....? Doesn't show much confidence in the brand or product does it?

I have to agree with The Mole - if you have a new, unique and in-demand product, why should you slap a discount on it?

I have to agree with The Mole - if you have a new, unique and in-demand product, why should you slap a discount on it?

Because it's probably a damn sight cheaper 20 miles across the channel?

I agree, fair doooos for asking, but its not just cars, any new product that come out is in high demand, why make a quick sale and earn say £20 if you can wait 30 mins and sell for £30!

As time passes and supply meets demand then yeah, discounts are always going to be there on offer. As for things being cheaper over the channel thats just a silly comment to be honest, lets face it, what isn't cheaper? Where isn't cheaper to live etc etc........... I stand by Mr Morse and The Mole on this one......

I never buy a car without a discount. Risiduals are never protected. I find it better to get money off when buying the car rather than hoping i'll see something back at trade in. I plan to buy an IS250 next year - my 4th new Lexus. If the salesman wants to keep a regular customer, he'll do a deal.

I agree with this argument, you might as well try and get a car on the best deal you can at the time, as depreciation is the biggest cost in ownership.

Besides there are other ways of discounting, it all comes down to cost to change, so they can just offer you over the odds for your part ex and keep list price for their car.

I agree with this argument, you might as well try and get a car on the best deal you can at the time, as depreciation is the biggest cost in ownership.

Besides there are other ways of discounting, it all comes down to cost to change, so they can just offer you over the odds for your part ex and keep list price for their car.

Giving you more for your car than it is worth is the same thing to a dealer as giving a discount. They will still stand you p/x on their books at its true value.

Any dealer needing to discount the new IS to sell it needs to assess the quality of their selling staff.

why ask for a discount??

When a manufacturer prices its cars they do so expecting a discount to be given.

This margin allows dealers to sweeten deals for customers so they can sell cars and stay in business and for the manufacturer to make a profit also. By getting a discount you won't be stealing from anyone or devaluing the car or brand.

So to answer the question "why ask for a discount?" - because a level of discount is already built into the price of the car.

why ask for a discount??

When a manufacturer prices its cars they do so expecting a discount to be given.

This margin allows dealers to sweeten deals for customers so they can sell cars and stay in business and for the manufacturer to make a profit also.  By getting a discount you won't be stealing from anyone or devaluing the car or brand.

So to answer the question "why ask for a discount?" - because a level of discount is already built into the price of the car.

The margin accross a car is not there to offer discounts, it is there to pay the staff, bills, buy the coffee, buy the fuel for test drives, take customers on Golf days and other customer events. It is to pay for the excellent service we offer as a business.

Anything left after all that is the proffit for the busniess, and a very modest one at that.

Why do you see so many dealers closing around the country - it's because they no longer are commercially viable because there margins are erroded to unsustainable levels through dicounting to try and match rediculous deals offered from dot coms etc etc.

Peolple want the full customer service, dealer facilities, proffessional demonstration and handovers followed by full customer support, and then want it at a price offered by an intenet company who offer no such thing, with next to no overheads or customer service.

Mr Mole I assume you work in the trade??

To answer 2 questions - there are in effect 2 margins. There is a margin that a dealer can give away, say 5% and a further % available which if given away would remove his ability to pay overheads etc. So in theory if a dealer gives away the whole lot then they will not make any money on a car.

However remember that a dealer will also be making a tidy profit on maintenance and servicing which also pays towards the bills, staff etc. So please don't expect me to believe any sob stories about poor dealers not being able to feed their kids at Christmas because of evil customers demanding discounts - as I said there is a margin built into the price. :)

I assume that you wouldn't negotiate on the price of a house either for fear of putting the estate agent out of business???

Secondly. unless demand far exceeds supply which only happens with very very few exotic cars then a car is not a unique or premium product. It is a mass produced product which may be priced as if it were at a premium. Lexus/Toyota produce thousands of cars a day - certainly not a unique product.

Secondly. unless demand far exceeds supply which only happens with very very few exotic cars then a car is not a unique or premium product.  It is a mass produced product which may be priced as if it were at a premium.  Lexus/Toyota produce thousands of cars a day - certainly not a unique product.

Seconded.... Toyota isn't the biggest / second biggest (depends who you speak to) car company in the world for nothing!

I still think it's daft not to ask for a discount / freebies etc.... Having spent plenty of time abroad, I ask for discounts on most things I buy... Greengrocers, hotels, flights, etc.... Everything has a margin, and most are prepared to bite into this margin even if it's just a token gesture.

I believe you're a mug if you don't ask for a discount to be honest