Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

One of my light bulbs has gone in the Dashboard. Lexus want £95 plus vat to fit a £5 bulb. Is it possible to replace it my self.

Or do you know someone in the Wiltshire/Hants/Surrey area who can do the job for me.

What year is your car? is it a mk1 or 2.

£95 is daylight robbery to fit a bulb :lol:

Im explaining about the mk1 GS300 hope thats the model you have.

:excl: First check where abouts on the dash/speedo the bulbs blow or you will be changing the wrong one,put it all back together and so the job again :excl:

To get the dash display out you have to remove the trim cover that sort of sits at the bottom infront of the dash/speedo,the trim just unclips..

Theres 2 screws to undo at the bottom now youve removed the trim and theres another 2 screws at the top of the display/speedo to remove.

Now just CAREFULLY pull the dash out a little and remove the electric plugs so you can take the speedo unit out.

The bulbs should just twist about 90 degress and lift out.

At the most it wont take more than 1 hour to replace the bulb.....

Good luck

Chips.

Hi - I hope Shanice won't mind me sort of hijacking this thread but it's about the same thing so it may be useful.

If all goes to plan, I should be picking my GS up next week (Mark 1). Now I know for a fact that a bulb or two has gone but I can't remember for the life of me whether it was the dial bulb or the needle itself. I know that the needles are irrepairable but I have a question. (Well two!)

a) Where can I get the normal dash bulbs from? I don't have a clue where the nearest Lexus dealer is although I'd guess there's on in Liverpool but even then it'd be a fair trek. I would be happy to wait if I could order them off the net.

B) I've been reading about the needles and I almost wet myself (laughter wise of course) when I read they want 1200 quid for a new cluster. Ha! I was thinking - is it not possible to stick "normal" needles off another make entirely that would be lit by the other normal bulbs or not? Why are the electroluminescent needles so special?

Alright - 3 questions!

Thanks,

Adam

A hour job to change the bulb,thats if youve never done the job before,so at the dealers id say 30 minutes labour tops and round it up to a hour :D as they sort of work on some sort of points system.

And you know what points make.....

Adski Im sure the bulbs will be for sale on the net somewhere,not sure of the type,model number.

As to the main speedo needles etc,mine werent working when i bought the car.The trouble is the case of the needle which the l e d light lives is black,so its black on black when they dont light up :D

All i did was to take the speedo dash front out and paint the needles bright white :winky: cheap fix for now :)

Cheers chips.

One of my light bulbs has gone in the Dashboard. Lexus want £95 plus vat to fit a £5 bulb. Is it possible to replace it my self.

Or do you know someone in the Wiltshire/Hants/Surrey area who can do the job for me.

What year is your car? is it a mk1 or 2.

£95 is daylight robbery to fit a bulb :lol:

Im explaining about the mk1 GS300 hope thats the model you have.

:excl: First check where abouts on the dash/speedo the bulbs blow or you will be changing the wrong one,put it all back together and so the job again :excl:

To get the dash display out you have to remove the trim cover that sort of sits at the bottom infront of the dash/speedo,the trim just unclips..

Theres 2 screws to undo at the bottom now youve removed the trim and theres another 2 screws at the top of the display/speedo to remove.

Now just CAREFULLY pull the dash out a little and remove the electric plugs so you can take the speedo unit out.

The bulbs should just twist about 90 degress and lift out.

At the most it wont take more than 1 hour to replace the bulb.....

Good luck

Chips.

I have a mark 1 also

many thanks

chips

Hi - I hope Shanice won't mind me sort of hijacking this thread but it's about the same thing so it may be useful.

If all goes to plan, I should be picking my GS up next week (Mark 1). Now  I know for a fact that a bulb or two has gone but I can't remember for the life of me whether it was the dial bulb or the needle itself. I know that the needles are irrepairable but I have a question. (Well two!)

a) Where can I get the normal dash bulbs from? I don't have a clue where the nearest Lexus dealer is although I'd guess there's on in Liverpool but even then it'd be a fair trek. I would be happy to wait if I could order them off the net.

B) I've been reading about the needles and I almost wet myself (laughter wise of course) when I read they want 1200 quid for a new cluster. Ha! I was thinking - is it not possible to stick "normal" needles off another make entirely that would be lit by the other normal bulbs or not? Why are the electroluminescent needles so special?

Alright - 3 questions!

Thanks,

Adam

:)

Yesterday i went to a Lexus dealer to order the dashboard bulbs, to my amazement there are about 4 different bulbs all ranging from around £0.60p each so i said order one of each that way you can't go wrong.

hope this helps

:zee:

If all goes to plan, I should be picking my GS up next week (Mark 1). Now  I know for a fact that a bulb or two has gone but I can't remember for the life of me whether it was the dial bulb or the needle itself. I know that the needles are irrepairable but I have a question. (Well two!)

Alright - 3 questions!

Thanks,

Adam

:)

Yesterday i went to a Lexus dealer to order the dashboard bulbs, to my amazement there are about 4 different bulbs all ranging from around £0.60p each so i said order one of each that way you can't go wrong.

hope this helps

:zee:

Good luck.........

Shanice :zee: