Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Performance Discs/pads

mark.w

hi all.....

just a quick one to say that THIS YEAR ALONE i am on my thrid set of front disc,s. So i think that if u drive at " normal " speeds the std set if good. but after this i got DBA disc gold life and when u brake hard at 140mph its no problem.. had to do it afew times.. lol :whistling:

I really wouldnt spend to much on discs as the drilled and groved ones are a waste of time, look good, but thats about it!! :winky:

:driving:

can i ask!! have you tryed any Drilled & Groved discs on your IS ;)

for your Info i have had a set off Groved discs on my IS for well over a year now........and they are as good as the day i put them on the car, and i have been on the Track as well.........and i have done about 13,000 miles in that time ;) , and i bet you they will out last your new ones :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...
I have drilled and grooved on the front and grooved on the back, Black diamond discs. Absolutely fine no complaints at all.

Hey just got some cross drilled DBA discs should i put new pads on as well or will the old ones be ok ???????

I really wouldnt spend to much on discs as the drilled and groved ones are a waste of time, look good, but thats about it!! :winky:

for your Info i have had a set off Groved discs on my IS for well over a year now........and they are as good as the day i put them on the car, and i have been on the Track as well.........and i have done about 13,000 miles in that time ;) , and i bet you they will out last your new ones :whistling:

nope...hes right marcus grooved and drilled discs are a a waste of money, the drilling actually weakens the discs, and serve no real purpose

and grooved discs do wear the pad faster, however grooved do help deglaze the pad, however to be honest on normal road driving, it willl be dam near impossible to glaze the pad.....unless you drive like a plum

Edited by Monster-Mat

nope...hes right marcus grooved and drilled discs are a a waste of money, the drilling actually weakens the discs, and serve no real purpose

and grooved discs do wear the pad faster, however grooved do help deglaze the pad, however to be honest on normal road driving, it willl be dam near impossible to glaze the pad.....unless you drive like a plum

yea i would say they are a waste of money if you only use them for road use!! but a lot off us who have them dont only use them for the road :D i have grooved front discs and std back ones with mintex pads all round, and i have to say they are very good.............discs and pads have done me from the trackday we had last year and in that time i have done over 13,000 miles

before i had Greenstuff with std discs and they was sh;t ;)

Funny you should mention that Marcus as i have the greenstuff pads all round and i find them a lot softer in their braking. That has made me think will they stop HARD if i needed them to? Especially if i am gonna s/c the car?

Apparently greenstuff is ok for cars under 200bhp, anything more and they cant cope. I feel unsure with them with just 153bhp!!

Best thing is less brake dust is definitely noticed.

Someone recommended Redstuff to be better suited to the lexus overall.

Funny you should mention that Marcus as i have the greenstuff pads all round and i find them a lot softer in their braking. That has made me think will they stop HARD if i needed them to? Especially if i am gonna  s/c the car?

Apparently greenstuff is ok for cars under 200bhp, anything more and they cant cope. I feel unsure with them with just 153bhp!!

Best thing is less brake dust is definitely noticed.

Someone recommended Redstuff to be better suited to the lexus overall.

If i was you mate i would get Mintex pads, i have them on my IS and they are 10 times better than the Greenstuff :winky:

what ever you do dont go geting Red/stuff as they are best for Track! who told you they was better suited to the lexus overall ;)

IMO: The stock discs and pads may not be the most aesthetically pleasing, but they are solid and good for twice the standard rwhp, at least.

i'd disagree with that. I've got standard brakes all round, and tbh they suck, i drove my mates alfa the other day, that has standard brakes all round, and boy, did they bite. mine feels like i've got marshmellows as brakepads.

ok, they do the job, but an upgrade certainly wouldn't go amiss.

The guy in cardif has got EBC discs they looked good but from this thread they sound to poo osaka auto design has got a website they do some pretty good stuff if i remember.

Ive got new DBA discs and i they feel better even tho my ABS isnt working, think im gonna get some mintex pads all round

IMO: The stock discs and pads may not be the most aesthetically pleasing, but they are solid and good for twice the standard rwhp, at least.

I don't think you will say no to uprated brakes when u have your 400rwhp..

• 1 month later...

Well i've now had my replacement EBC red stuff pads and discs for three months and they are alot better than the green, however its questionable if there better than the standards. There is'nt a great deal to choose, although over a long run they handle heavy breaking alot better and you dont get any fade or warping like the originals. After chatting with elite direct there now telling customers that you should be looking more at driving style over bhp, the ebc guide lines of anything over 200 bhp needs redstuff is a little weak when you think evos are a definate red stuff car they only have a increased top end of approximatley 20mph. So if like me you live near the twisty bits and you like the occasional hard drive and ebc's are on the shopping list dont even entertain green stuff

The guy in cardif has got EBC discs they looked good but from this thread they sound to poo osaka auto design has got a website they do some pretty good stuff if i remember.

Ive got new DBA discs and i they feel better even tho my ABS isnt working, think im gonna get some mintex pads all round

I've had DBA gold grooved and drilled front discs, standard rear with Mintex pads all round on the IS200 for the last two years and have been extremely happy with their performance.

I've had DBA gold grooved and drilled front discs, standard rear with Mintex pads all round on the IS200 for the last two years and have been extremely happy with their performance.

Can i ask how many grooves you have and how many miles do you get from your pads....oh and a big question are you an aggressive or gentle braker....? thanks

Can i ask how many grooves you have and how many miles do you get from your pads....oh and a big question are you an aggressive or gentle braker....? thanks

Can't answer the first question as the car is a few thousand miles away. The original Mintex are still going after 20,000 and I normally use full braking rather than progressive if you know what I mean. :winky:

i have had red stuff pads on since last August and under heavy braking they are amazing, scrubbing of the speed with ease.

I am upgrading my discs to the Red-dot discs at the moment as they have offered me a realy good deal.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links