Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To Supercharge Or Not To Supercharge?!

Derwood

Hi

Bit of a newbie, just got my IS200 sport the other week and its gotta b the best car ive driven!

Anyway, ive heard alot about the supercharger modification offered by TTE, but i was just wondering if anyone in here has had it done and if its worth the money? Im being quoted around £3000 and im considering it for an early bday present next year!

Cheers

Daz

It does make a hell of a whinning noise mate, I would recomend hearing a car fitted with one first before you decide.

Noise might be a concern for you though

I'm not for all this noise either, but Gord's car (when it was s/c'd) was quieter then mine and seemed more refined because he didn't have to push it as hard to get the same results. On idle it did sound different - sort of more menicing but I wouldn't say its louder at all.

On the other hand Aidos car with twin exhausts and the induction kit positively screamed!! :duh:

Think its up to you how far you go with it. With just the S/C and a standard or may HKS Hiper exhaust it shouldn't be any louder really.

It does make a hell of a whinning noise mate, I would recomend hearing a car fitted with one first before you decide.

Noise might be a concern for you though

I'm not for all this noise either, but Gord's car (when it was s/c'd) was quieter then mine and seemed more refined because he didn't have to push it as hard to get the same results. On idle it did sound different - sort of more menicing but I wouldn't say its louder at all.

On the other hand Aidos car with twin exhausts and the induction kit positively screamed!! :duh:

Think its up to you how far you go with it. With just the S/C and a standard or may HKS Hiper exhaust it shouldn't be any louder really.

True mate true, with the standard TTE supercharger kit and standard exhaust, the noise is not much different to standard car :D

Anees, being plat ice it will be more refined than a green one :P

I too have also considered fitting the TTE supercharger next year to my car, would like to know the best place to buy, you mention PROLEX but looking around the site TDI look cheaper (any difference).

will it make the car more difficult to insure (limit the number of people who will insure me).

does it also affect reliability of the car, have noticed Gord has a problem with his car (sorry to hear) and heard of other members taking the supercharger back off the car.

Get it done mate. Have a search on the site as there are loads of posts about it. Everybody knows how great they are. It makes the car what it should have been in the first place. :driving:

Prolex could get it fitted for you in London if you were to buy from them. PM Prolex-Uk and Dave should be able to sort you out :D

There's not alot of difference in noise unless you have the induction kit fitted with it. You might want to change your exhaust aswell because its very restrictive. I had a Kazama fitted when i had my supercharger and it wasnt loud at all. A little louder than standard but sounds excellent :D

I too have also considered fitting the TTE supercharger next year to my car, would like to know the best place to buy, you mention PROLEX but looking around the site TDI look cheaper (any difference).

will it make the car more difficult to insure (limit the number of people who will insure me).

does it also affect reliability of the car, have noticed Gord has a problem with his car (sorry to hear) and heard of other members taking the supercharger back off the car.

The problem with my car was not down to the supercharger, i took the s/c off B4 the problem started, dont know of any car with s/c thats had engine problem that the s/c has caused :D

The last time i was on TDI site the supercharger kit was £3000 + vat + £900 +vat all fitted, i think Prolex is £3000 all in fitted, not sure but please check :D

The TTE kit is the same kit from TDI or Prolex :D

Yes YOUR INSURANCE WILL GO UP :D

my personal reccomendation it go for prolex - dont know why tdi charge different rates for older cars - they said it used ti take 2 days ;) but i did mine in a parking space in 8 hours - as gord says it the same job,

get the kit and fitting thru prolex or gord - it will be a top quality job without any complications - unlike others!

I had mine done at TDI North in Warrington and Paul did an excellent job fitting it. Took his time and ensured it was perfect - wouldn't give the car back until he was 100% happy with it. Both TDI (mark) and Prolex (dave) offered excellent prices and were very helpful.

Where abouts in the Nort West are you?

looks like i will be looking at TDI warrington for supercharger/ possible fitting (may actually do myself) as i live nr Chester ( actually 5mins from Lexus garage).

Still wondering if difficult to insure car once modified???

Would also like to see/ hear a car with supercharger fitted early next year, will keep my out for one of the club meeting in this area!!!

Thank's again for all information and help..you all sound like a good bunch / excellent club.

The actual supercharger doesn't make that much extra noise (if any).  I believe it's if you attach the iduction kit to it...then your ears bleed!  :D

So I must have only heard cars with an aftermarket induction kit as well, come to think of it that could be the case, Aido's on his car then Nick's and Chris (Don), Bazza's, obviously modified induction.....hmmmm

perhaps I've not heard a standard TTE supplied airbox :unsure:

looks like i will be looking at TDI warrington for supercharger/ possible fitting (may actually do myself) as i live nr Chester ( actually 5mins from Lexus garage).

Still wondering if difficult to insure car once modified???

Would also like to see/ hear a car with supercharger fitted early next year, will keep my out for one of the club meeting in this area!!!

Thank's again for all information and help..you all sound like a good bunch / excellent club.

How old is your car mate :question: might cost you more if its older :o and look-out for the VAT :winky:

car is 2002.

As statred earlyer dont know why there is a price diffrence depending on how old the car is ???

will contact both TDI and PROLEX for price and fitting ( may do myself), nearer the time

just a few more things to think about before final decission

Insurance

Noise

and getting the funds......

car is 2002.

As statred earlyer dont know why there is a price diffrence depending on how old the car is ???

will contact both TDI and PROLEX for price and fitting ( may do myself), nearer the time

just a few more things to think about before final decission

Insurance

Noise

and getting the funds......

On the insurance, give them a ring :D

Noise, if using standard tte kit (airbox) its just like standard car :D

Funds, go to bank :D

If you thinking of fitting yourself, you could ask if someone with fitting instructions to email you 1st, so you can see how to do it :D