Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Electronic Key And Is250

oldcro

Not sure if this has already been asked, but here goes.

You walk away from your new IS250 with the key in your pocket and the engine still running. Would the engine automatically cut out and the doors lock when you were out of range?

If it's not the case as supplied, could the car be programmed to do this by the dealer should the buyer request it?

Just a thought.

Oldun :blink:

When I had a new GS300 as a courtesy car I tried something similar. I stared the engine, which you can only do if the key is in the car. I then left the engine running put the key outside the car and got back in and drove the car about quarter of a mile.

Once the engine has stopped you cannot restart it without the key.

Food for thought. While I think that the keyless entry is way cool I would be wary to both keep the key in my pocket at all times, and also turn off the engine every time I got out, even if it was to open the boot to remove an item.

I suspect the IS250 operates in the same way.

I dont see the problem - what happens in "normal" car when you open the boot and go to put something in? It is even worse, your key is in the car! And you have to take the key out, and then put it back in again. With smart entry, you simply keep it in your pocket. It is very intuitive system thats pretty smart and after few days you wont want a car without it...

As to the automatic locking, it would be an possible death trap if it was to automatically shut down the engine - for example, woman might put her key in the purse, and then throw the purse to the back, forgetting that key is inside, what happens then? Car stops, she crashes into the wall? :-).

woman might put her key in the purse, and then throw the purse to the back, forgetting that key is inside, what happens then? Car stops, she crashes into the wall? :-).

She shouldn't be buggering about with her purse whilst driving! :P

woman might put her key in the purse, and then throw the purse to the back, forgetting that key is inside, what happens then? Car stops, she crashes into the wall? :-).

She shouldn't be buggering about with her purse whilst driving! :P

The car would not stop as the key is still in the car.

no, car will lose the sight of the key under certain conditions, even if it is the car... for example, in the handbag at the back seat, it should not work... under the seat, it should not work...

shutting the car off while driving is really an "killer" idea...

Smart entry is really convenient and is a bit safer than normal key, it is an win-win choice. Trust me, it is one of the major new features that you will love. I am pretty sure I wouldnt buy an car without it anymore...

Firstly, I too think that Smart Entry is a FANTASTIC idea and one of the many reasons why I have ordered the new IS250.

However, I have started a car while the key is in the car, physically taken the key out of the car and then driven the car for a quarter of a mile (approx.) Surely if this works simply tossing the key on the back seat while driving, or putting it under the seat will still keep the car running?

I am not sure about actually starting the car while the key is under the seat, or on the back seat and additionally the above was tested in the GS but I assume exactly the same system is in use in the IS.

Firstly, I too think that Smart Entry is a FANTASTIC idea and one of the many reasons why I have ordered the new IS250.

However, I have started a car while the key is in the car, physically taken the key out of the car and then driven the car for a quarter of a mile (approx.)  Surely if this works simply tossing the key on the back seat while driving, or putting it under the seat will still keep the car running?

I am not sure about actually starting the car while the key is under the seat, or on the back seat and additionally the above was tested in the GS but I assume exactly the same system is in use in the IS.

It will start as long as the key is within the body shell perimeter.

My question is, what happens when the battery runs flat in the keyfob - how do you start the car / open doors? Or doens't it have a battery in the keyfob?

I'm guessing there is a Battery in the keyfob (in order to use the lock/unlock buttons on the fob) but I think the keyless part of it doesn't use the Battery, its the car that uses power to find the keyfob

good idea which should stop alot of hijacking.. until they click on and then mug you for the key.

I would also imagine that when the car is serviced they replace the batteries as part of the service.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links