Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Decomposing Rat....

Jiberjaber

Sorry to put you guys (and gals) off your food.... but I have a dead rat I can't get too and the smell is nearly forcing me out of my home... any ideas how long I will have to put up with the smell ?

This is the little fella in next door's back yard.... (1 Sept)

Caught him in the Kitchen one evening early October, put a load of traps down whilst I was on Hols, but no luck. Came back from hols to find he had eaten the power lead off the fridge freezer and a few of the mains' twin and earth cables and also eaten his way through the front and rear air bricks of the house.

So I decided enough was enough and put down some poison as he defo wasnt taking the peanut butter baited traps.

Looks (smells) like the poison has worked. But... I have laid down a few hundred quids worth of wooden flooring which wont come up without damage / destroying and I dont have any spare to replace it with... so unless the body is in reach (which I have been unable to find all day Sunday) then it looks like I am going to have to live through the stink..... unless the smell is going to last for months... I can even taste the smell now!!! yack! :sick:

So any ideas on how long I will have to live through this.... it might mean I ewnd up spending a grand at this rate to get rid of the smell!!!!! :sick::sick::sick:

Maybe I should have saved Tony's cat from teh kickings and borrowed it for a few weeks :)

Ah this is a question I'd like answering as I have one of the little gits rummaging around in my attic on occasions at 5am. I've tried traps both inside and out to no avail. I've put down poison everywhere (in the box things so no cats or dogs get it) I'm worried that I'll end up with the blighter cacking it in the flat roof section of my attic which would put me in the same predicament as you.

Seriously......

Pour a pint of maggots somewhere where they can get to the corpse  :sick:

I think I'll stick to ripping up the floor before I do that ;) :sick:

Hotel booked for tomorrow night anyway now!...

Mike check you mini-meet thread :)

My sodding rat won't touch chocolate, or grain bars, or cheese, or meat, or anything else you put in a trap. It also avoids the sodding poison like the plague as well. Its not been back for a whiles since I had a hetty fit and sprayed 3 full cans of Raid fly spray into the flat roof section of the attic where the git was hiding :)

try baiting the trap while wearing  rubber gloves, could well be it has been caught before and doesnt like the smell of humans on dodgy looking things.

they are clever!

Mine's not... it's smelly :)

your right about the human smell though, gloves and the tray of poison did the trick (a bit too well).

My sodding rat won't touch chocolate, or grain bars, or cheese, or meat, or anything else you put in a trap. It also avoids the sodding poison like the plague as well. Its not been back for a whiles since I had a hetty fit and sprayed 3 full cans of Raid fly spray into the flat roof section of the attic where the git was hiding :)

try laying an intricate web of tubes and flaps, it wont catch the rat, but it will be interesting.........and fun

I wonder if I were to set a small fire under the floor might get rid of the smell ;)

yep, and help assist in the redecorating of the lounge in a dark, but sultry shade of soot, the new smell may not be quite to your ...tast though.

practice on a small cardboard box, it wont really simulate setting fire under your floorboards but it will be intresting, ......and fun

if its decomposing, maggots will already be there,

u can simulate this by leaving some liver in the garden.....ok its not a rat and wont smell...quite the same but its fun and very scientific if you keep data

Edited by Monster-Mat

What you are smelling is commonly known as "putrizine and cadaverine" which are decomposed or fragmented protein. Bleach is well known as a protein destroyer.

tere are several issues here:

1. The flies.

As long as the odor of rotting rat is present, you will have a chronic "fly problem". if not now, if the enviroment warms up! The chemical compounds that give rise to these odors are among the ones that have the

lowest odor threshold for the human nose.

2. The health problem.

The problem is one of putrid smell. There is

not much danger of toxicity from the chemicals themselves, their

concentration is so low. The constant presence of flies is another issue.

Edited by Monster-Mat

always had luck with the humane type of traps, after trying all sorts of things on usual spring traps, resorted to a humane one and caught 2 in 2 days, you can always shoot them with an air gun if you want them dead. doesnt help with your dead one, but maybe usefull for future pests, and chocolate worked the best for me.