Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Decomposing Rat....

Jiberjaber

What you are smelling is commonly known as "putrizine and cadaverine" which are decomposed or fragmented protein.  Bleach is well known as a protein destroyer.

tere are several issues here:

1. The flies.

As long as the odor of rotting rat is present, you will have a chronic "fly problem". if not now, if the enviroment warms up! The chemical compounds that give rise to these odors are among the ones that have the

lowest odor threshold for the human nose.

2. The health problem.

The problem is one of putrid smell. There is

not much danger of toxicity from the chemicals themselves, their

concentration is so low. The constant presence of flies is another issue.

hmmm you have been watching Quincy too much!!! :D

:offtopic: Once asked a gamekeeper what was the best way to get rid of a squirrel. He said "a 12 bore" only problem was the little sucker was in the loft :hehe:

Anyway back on topic air gun gets em every time.

As for the smell, how do you know it's a dead rat under the floor :question:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this old thread back up Jason,

I am having the exact same problem now too. I remember reading this thread years ago and did a search to find it.

The pest control man said the smell would last 7-10 days, so im a bit worried to hear it took yours a couple of months to go!!!! Plus its going to start getting warm soon :(

• 1 year later...
Sorry to bring this old thread back up Jason,

I am having the exact same problem now too. I remember reading this thread years ago and did a search to find it.

The pest control man said the smell would last 7-10 days, so im a bit worried to hear it took yours a couple of months to go!!!! Plus its going to start getting warm soon :(

in the end....how long did your rat take to stop stinking

Blast from the past... holy thread revival batman!

Must have been a good 2 and a half months before it was gone. I put up with it for a while but I did try and get under the floor at one point to see if I could find it, but the hole in the outside wall was not large enough and there was a fairly large void with rubble so couldnt find / get to it.

Terrible smell it was!

Moral of the story is, if you are going to poison rats, dont block any entrances and dont have a floor you cant take up!

I would say a good 2-3 months too. It was one of those smalls that you thought you could taste.

I also did not block holes until all sign of rodents was gone, but unfortunately I have solid maple flooring in my front room which I also could not take up :(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links