Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Import Help

Walt

Hello,

I'm new here and really looking for some help.

I have a question regarding the NAV. I just bought a brandnew GS300 AWD as well as an IS 250 AWD before I went back home to Europe (I used to live in the US for 5 years and now I have my own business in Europe). I took both cars with me to Europe and now I have a problem.

Now, as you probably know the Navigationsystem won't work, probably since the US is using a Denso unit and here in Europe Lexus uses Aisin. Anyway, someone told me that even replacing the ECU unit won't work since the plugs are different but I cannot believe that.

I was told that your Sat-Nav converter would do the trick, right? Where can I get one?

Anyway, do you have a solution on how to get the US-NAV to work in Europe?

Thanks!!

Sincerely,

walt

• 8 months later...

I just received the same message from the Swedish representative. I have brought a Lexus RX330-05 from US to Sweden when moving. The Navigator will not work here and the Swedish dealer do not know how to convert. They state the electronic and connectors are different.

If anyone has seen a solution to this problem I would be very interested to the degree where I replace the electronic.

PeO.

Surely the GPS would work as GPS is a global positioning system - can you not just buy a European satnav disk for your systems from the dealers in the USA?

Agree with you. GPS is global. My handheld GPS worked in both Europe and US. I assume it is just a matter of maps.

I will try your suggestion. Perhaps there is something to find. I have also tried to contact the manufacturer but don't keep my hope very high. They will probably not respond directly to an end customer.

http://www.globaldensoproducts.com/ic/car_nav.html

If I am successful I will write about my findings. Until then I appreciate all help.

PeO.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been in contact with Lexus US, Lexus Sweden, Denso Netherland and Denso U.K. The message I have gotten is that a Navtec map DVD that fits my Lexus RX 330 does not exist.

All have provided good answers. I am positively surpriced about customer service from all of the companies. However I still think this is a market limiting decision more than anything else. I have looked at Navtech DVD's for Europe (not working in my unit though) and compared file structure with myUS DVD. It is the same type of files, same structure, everything. If they wanted to provide a Denso compatible European map I really think they could do so with a minor effort.

The reason Aisin is not pin compatible is due to TP-RDS enabling traffic jams to affect the navigation routes. That is only available in Europe. So even if I would spend £4,000 I have no solution. The only remaining alternative is to buy a £200 unit and have it loose in the car.

PeO.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have the ability to design/build custom interfaces then there are options open ;)

I have been in contact with Lexus US, Lexus Sweden, Denso Netherland and Denso U.K. The message I have gotten is that a Navtec map DVD that fits my Lexus RX 330 does not exist.

All have provided good answers. I am positively surpriced about customer service from all of the companies. However I still think this is a market limiting decision more than anything else. I have looked at Navtech DVD's for Europe (not working in my unit though) and compared file structure with myUS DVD. It is the same type of files, same structure, everything. If they wanted to provide a Denso compatible European map I really think they could do so with a minor effort.

The reason Aisin is not pin compatible is due to TP-RDS enabling traffic jams to affect the navigation routes. That is only available in Europe. So even if I would spend £4,000 I have no solution. The only remaining alternative is to buy a £200 unit and have it loose in the car.

PeO.

• 2 months later...

PeO.

I imported a 2004 RX330 from the US to Norway and got the nav system to work after swapping computer and DVD. The connectors/pinouts were identical for the US and the euro computer, although they are different brands. It was a fairly simple procedure. Picked up a euro computer/DVD on eBay for $900. Expect I can sell my US computer/DVD for about the same.

I initially ran into problems trying to get help from Lexus Europe. "No data exist on that" "Never heard of someone doing this" etc.

Talked to my local US lexus tech rep, and he suggested trying swapping the computer and DVD after he checked the diagrams....and he was right on.

Maybe in your case you could get the system to work without the RDS feed.

Good luck!

• 9 months later...

That is very good information. However, I gace up and bought a handheld device. I still think it is interesting information though since Lexus in Sweden were not able to change the car parameters such as how the locks should act, follow-me-home-light etc. That probably should work again if I got a European computer/nav system. Not a bad idea at all!

PeO.

• 1 month later...
That is very good information. However, I gace up and bought a handheld device. I still think it is interesting information though since Lexus in Sweden were not able to change the car parameters such as how the locks should act, follow-me-home-light etc. That probably should work again if I got a European computer/nav system. Not a bad idea at all!

PeO.

I made some adjustments to the "personalized options" you are talking about after import. The norwegian Toyota/Lexus dealer shrugged his shoulders when we first mentioned it, but after I brought in the U.S. Lexus brochure highlighting all these options, they looked into it and made the requested adjustments free of charge. Everything on my car works exactly as advertised after swapping the computer and disk.

• 3 weeks later...

"Picked up a euro computer/DVD on eBay for $900"

Wow... 900$...

Actually, this is not a problem

You can buy (or copy :) ) an original european DVD with maps, and "mix" with US one

There are many Russian owners of imported (from US - IS250 AWD for example, or IS350) cars, and they are using modified (once again, this is software solution! no any additional hardware!) DVD disks with european maps...

The procedure is pretty simple - everything that you need is a:

1) European DVD

2) US DVD

3) Blank DVD-R DL disk

4) DVD-R DL writer

5) Some knowledges :)

In short, you should replace files

ALLDATA.KWI

INDEXDAT.KWI

and IDX catalogue on the US dvd image with files and catalogue from EU dvd image...

btw "DVD-R DL Verbatim MKM-001" is works 100%

• 8 months later...
"Picked up a euro computer/DVD on Ebay for $900"

Wow... 900$...

You can buy (or copy :) ) an original european DVD with maps, and "mix" with US one

There are many Russian owners of imported (from US - IS250 AWD for example, or IS350) cars, and they are using modified (once again, this is software solution! no any additional hardware!) DVD disks with european maps...

1) European DVD

2) US DVD

3) Blank DVD-R DL disk

4) DVD-R DL writer

ALLDATA.KWI

INDEXDAT.KWI

and IDX catalogue on the US dvd image with files and catalogue from EU dvd image...

HI Shapa

I was looking for some information and I came across your comments on this forum.

Please help, I have recently imported a sc430 from the USA, I need to get the sat nav to work, I assumed that it was a simple case of replacing the American DVD with the European version, but I have been informed from various Lexus forums that this is not possible. Then I read your comments and I am very interested to know what exactly I need to do and please can you explain to someone like me who is a complete computer idiot.

Also do you have any ideas on how to resolve a problem with the radio, it currently seeks in decimals of 0.2, therefore it seeks in 95.1, 95.3, 95.5 etc, so obviously I can’t pick up Capital radio on 95.8 etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am in London for 2 weeks and then I shall be returning to Spain. If you want we can meet and I can buy you a drink whilst you explain.

Best Regards

Saj

I do not have any experience for the SatNav problem. I gave up and bought a hand held device.

On the radio problem I bought my shifter from http://www.edl.co.nz/ConvertersHP/pb1000-10Mhz.htm They were very good to talk to and shipped to Sweden within five days. It works good but not until I realized the radio unit uses two antennas. So firstly I attached the shifter to only one antenna with lots of noise as a result. But when I finally found out I disconnected the second antenna and now have a good sound. Be aware that the radio will not have the same sensitivity as standard. So driving far from cities will mean bad radio reception. Also the RDS does not work and the radio scanning has problems due to the shifter creating two carrier frequencies for each channel.

PeO.

• 2 weeks later...
I do not have any experience for the SatNav problem. I gave up and bought a hand held device.

On the radio problem I bought my shifter from http://www.edl.co.nz/ConvertersHP/pb1000-10Mhz.htm They were very good to talk to and shipped to Sweden within five days. It works good but not until I realized the radio unit uses two antennas. So firstly I attached the shifter to only one antenna with lots of noise as a result. But when I finally found out I disconnected the second antenna and now have a good sound. Be aware that the radio will not have the same sensitivity as standard. So driving far from cities will mean bad radio reception. Also the RDS does not work and the radio scanning has problems due to the shifter creating two carrier frequencies for each channel.

PeO.

Hi PeOR

I will have the same problem as you. I will import a RX400h. I will try the software mod as SHAPA told us. Please contact me direct as I live in Stockholm so we can discus the problems. My email: nils@nira.se

Nils

1) European DVD

2) US DVD

3) Blank DVD-R DL disk

4) DVD-R DL writer

ALLDATA.KWI

INDEXDAT.KWI

I tried this procedure and it didn't work. Any suggestions?

• 3 months later...

1) European DVD

2) US DVD

3) Blank DVD-R DL disk

4) DVD-R DL writer

ALLDATA.KWI

INDEXDAT.KWI

Does it need to be a - or does it works with a + disc as well?

Do I need to burn it region 1 or doesnt that make a difference?

• 1 month later...

1) European DVD

2) US DVD

3) Blank DVD-R DL disk

4) DVD-R DL writer

ALLDATA.KWI

INDEXDAT.KWI

I tried this procedure and it didn't work. Any suggestions?

First of all you need to use good quality DVD and good quality DVD dual layer burner. Also you need software that decodes the protected DVD. First make a copy of your existing navigation DVD and if that works you know you are on the right track. What worked for me getting US Navigation DVD upgrade were Memorex DVD+R DL media and Pioneer DVR-215DSV burner. Software used was DVD Decripter version 3.5.4.0.

I have not succeeded yet in making a European DVD for US navigation. My 2006 Lexus GS300 has US generation 4 navigation DVD. I need to get the corresponding European maps to try to make one as described here by Shapa Nov 27 2007. I would appreciate an advice how to get the needed European maps for gen. 4 navigation DVD. Anyone who has successfully made a European DVD for US navigation please share your knowledge. You can email me at jfkn@cox.net

:shifty:

• 4 weeks later...

Wow... 900$...

1) European DVD

2) US DVD

3) Blank DVD-R DL disk

4) DVD-R DL writer

ALLDATA.KWI

INDEXDAT.KWI

Shapa

Wow, if you have cracked the code on this one, you are the man. My wife and I are moving to Italy this summer and I have been all over the internet trying to find a solution for updating our navigation system with European maps. My wife has a 2007 ES350 and I have a 2004 RX330, needless to say we both need the update. I can see that you have been busy with this forum, but if I could get your help, it would save me from having to buy a European PC or a portable GPS. I'm not sure where to get the European DVD and had a question about what type of DVD Burner you used. My email is gdinofrio@knology.net if you can assist. Greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Wow... 900$...

1) European DVD

2) US DVD

3) Blank DVD-R DL disk

4) DVD-R DL writer

ALLDATA.KWI

INDEXDAT.KWI

I now have a working Hybrid DVD for European countries: Czech Republic, Finland, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Romania, and Slovakia. It does not look like it is as simple as described above. However using this disk I am positive I could make hybrids for the rest of Europe if someone gives me copies of the European disks. You can email me at jfkn@cox.net

• 3 months later...
Jo Balle, plese send me your valid email, cac85@isuisse.com does not work! jfkn@cox.net

Wow... 900$...

1) European DVD

2) US DVD

3) Blank DVD-R DL disk

4) DVD-R DL writer

ALLDATA.KWI

INDEXDAT.KWI

I now have a working Hybrid DVD for European countries: Czech Republic, Finland, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Romania, and Slovakia. It does not look like it is as simple as described above. However using this disk I am positive I could make hybrids for the rest of Europe if someone gives me copies of the European disks. You can email me at jfkn@cox.net

Hi guys! I'm driving '07 Lexus IS250 (5th gen navi.) here in Poland. I've imported it from the USA. I had hard time trying to run European version of navigation maps, but I finally did it. I've used "Toyota - Lexus navigation map Russia 2008-2009 ver.1", you can easily google it if you want. It contains maps of "Finland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Romania, the main road of European part of Russia". I guess that if I managed to run this maps in US car, you can run UK and other maps in your cars. I've used standard Verbatim DVD+R disc (not double layer) and Alcohol 120%.

Original DVD that I had in my car was U31D (v.6.1)

• 2 weeks later...
Jo Balle, plese send me your valid email, cac85@isuisse.com does not work! jfkn@cox.net

Wow... 900$...

1) European DVD

2) US DVD

3) Blank DVD-R DL disk

4) DVD-R DL writer

ALLDATA.KWI

INDEXDAT.KWI

Jo Balle, please send me your valid email, your server @isuisse.com is rejecting my emails. Create email with different domaint like Yahoo.com jfkn@cox.net or call my cell 420 736 204 412. There is not much time left, I am returning to US mid September.