Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wireless Routers

Parthiban

I'm looking to buy a wireless router and as I don't know much about them I thought I'd post on here as people on here normally know something about everything :)

Basically I like the look of this:

Router

Is there anything better than this (this one seems to have all the right numbers :P )

I get my internet from Telewest, will this be fine with that as well?

Thanks in advance.

My experience with Telewest broadband and wireless routers has been bad.......had a wireless Netgear router with Telewest broadband, it was totally :tsktsk: mate, kept loosing my connection, don't bother..........could also depend on location as to why I kept loosing my internet connection.....

That router should do you well

but to make the most of it you'll also need a wireless card in your PC as the built in ones (if it has them) usually dont support 108 mbps.

Ive used lots of netgear stuff in the past and had good results, also used a netgear router with NTL cable with no downtime at all. much more reliable than ADSL.

I'm looking to buy a wireless router and as I don't know much about them I thought I'd post on here as people on here normally know something about everything  :)

Basically I like the look of this:

Router

Is there anything better than this (this one seems to have all the right numbers  :P )

I get my internet from Telewest, will this be fine with that as well?

Thanks in advance.

I use Netgear with no real problems. I have the DG834GT which is a modem and router in one. Be aware that if you use MIMO Rangemax you will still need a Broadband Modem and all your equipment needs to be compatible to take advantage of the extra range offered by MIMO. I have a small 3 story Hotel and my DG834GT is in the cellar. The range extends even to the top floor albeit with a weaker signal and every guests Laptop, including those with Centrino technology, has connected with no problem.

I've got, and have used in the past, lots of Netgear stuff with no problems. Does exactly what it says on the box. Got a WGT624 at the moment and can use my laptop at the bottom of the garden (about 20-25m) and stream video off my desk top.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll just go with that one then. Yeah I realise that I won't get 108 with the built in Wi-fi but I thought this might be more future proof. :whistling:

Not bothered about having a separate router and modem, although I will be able to just plug the telewest modem into this router without needing anymore equipment? :blink:

(Sorry if that's a really stupid question :shutit: )

Just got a Netgear DG834GT on the UKOnline 22meg bundle thing and so far the router part has been total *******!

The wireless side has been rock solid, better than the Actiontec router I had before, seems much more stable which is good, just a shame about the routing side, been having a look around and it's acommon problem with this hardware on the ADSL2+ platform, it negotiates a too high link speed in many cases and isn't exactly great at renogotiating when necessary meaning a reboot is required. Even put an unofficial firmware which is supposed to fix most of the bugs, it's better but not what I'd like to use in a production environment to be honest :(

Pants really.

Also overheats, which I'm not exactly ecstatic about but this is more to do with the fact it is running at such a speed, the best combo I've ever used was an Efficient Networks EN5861 router and then that was linked to an Alcatel wireless device, that combo was totally rock solid, would run for months on end!

Do you need a one box solution?

Have to admit I'm going to scout around at some point for a 2 box solution as it's the best way really!

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll just go with that one then. Yeah I realise that I won't get 108 with the built in Wi-fi but I thought this might be more future proof.  :whistling:

Not bothered about having a separate router and modem, although I will be able to just plug the telewest modem into this router without needing anymore equipment?  :blink:

(Sorry if that's a really stupid question  :shutit: )

Make sure that the connection from Telewest's modem is compatible with the Netgear which uses an ethernet one I believe. Some use USB.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll just go with that one then. Yeah I realise that I won't get 108 with the built in Wi-fi but I thought this might be more future proof.  :whistling:

Not bothered about having a separate router and modem, although I will be able to just plug the telewest modem into this router without needing anymore equipment?  :blink:

(Sorry if that's a really stupid question  :shutit: )

Make sure that the connection from Telewest's modem is compatible with the Netgear which uses an ethernet one I believe. Some use USB.

Better to use the Enet connection, it's much more stable than USB

Yes all you need is the Router and as long as you currently connect your Cable Modem to your PC via an Ethernet cable you can just plug it into the router.

Aido, Have you tried the SNR hacks for the netgear ? I upped mine to 10dB and its been rock solid ever since

Yes all you need is the Router and as long as you currently connect your Cable Modem to your PC via an Ethernet cable you can just plug it into the router.

Aido, Have you tried the SNR hacks for the netgear ? I upped mine to 10dB and its been rock solid ever since

Hi Brettster,

Where would I find this hack? Is it easy to do? I assume that SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio?

Many thanks,

Kent.

You might want to look at a 802.11n router, they offer vastly increased range over the current gen 802.11g routers.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireles...11nprenhome.htm

I use two WRT54gs routers at home running sveasoft firmware in WDS mode so I have a wireles LAN bridge of sorts...

The only problem I have now is that my internet connection maxes out teh actual wireless connection! :)