Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Broadband........ I Got It 'not'......

Tony-Bones

What's happened to good luck?.... has it been privatized :excl:

I have a 'restricted' understanding of PC's in spite of the fact i have my own web-site, and having my tail pulled time and time again about my 'Dial-up' i decided to upgrade :D ..... :crybaby:

Go 'Broadband'....... 'it's the mutts'........! ( is it? )

An engineer from NTL 'landed' in my home yesterday........ the event was more like a 'drive by shooting!'... ELLO Wheres the PC.... 'Right' i will put the cable through here and...............here.

After Drilling the 'Chunnle' through two walls he then produced a cable, now to be honest i thought it was the tube on his vacuum cleaner ( he's going to clean up the mess ) NO! that's the cable :huh:

Whilst i was still wondering how to repair the caverns in my wall he appeared and said 'All done ears ya disc ( slam ) '

Busy man me-thinks :duh:

Got disc.... i can do this....me gunna get some broadband :D

Got a cable modem a flashing.... cd a loading.....

And guess what......

It don't work!

It says 'Network adapter error'....... :duh: now it's phone time with NTL and all the crap in between......has good luck been privatized!

On the cd there is a set-up area for the engineer :ohmy: i feel?........ well i really feel!........l this was his job not mine.

Anyhoo, typical example for a worker under a time schedule, and typical luck on my side..........Cats airborne...........( South South East )

Tony,

I've been on NTL for a few years and when I started they didn't give you a disc and I had to do the wiring myself too! :ph34r:

Once it is up and running it is very good I have found.

Can't really help you specifically because it has been ages since I had to reconfigure NTL but you should have an ethernet cable with an end on it like a telephone plug but abit bigger. One end should be in your modem (the thing with the flashing lights) and the other end should be plugged in the back of your PC. To check that the PC is connected with the cable modem correctly the port on your PC where you plugged the ethernet cable into should have two lights lit up - one green and the other orange.

I have found NTLs technical support line to be pretty good once you get through. Sorry I cannot be more helpful but it have no idea how the new NTL installation works.

Are you using Windows XP? It would be worth checking in device manager too to make sure your network adapters drivers are installed correctly. To do this just right click on My Computer and select properties. Then click on the hardware tab and click on the button that says device manager. The next window displays the devices on your PC. Have a look under network adaptors for any yellow exclamation marks indicating problems.

PS Take it easy on the poor cat - Nasa have reported a UFO in space and I'm sure its your poor car! :P

I had similar experience. Engineer was late and spent about 5 min in the house travelling a million miles an hour. Cable to PC was a bit too short and it didn't work so had endless fun on the phone trying to get it working.

I got my broadband through Tiscali and it was quite painless until i moved :angry:

I have been told it can take 20 working days to transfer my broadband to my new place (which is only 200 metres from where i moved from).

Tiscali have also said that i should keep an eye on my e-mail for information!!!!!!!!!!!

That may be difficult :blink:

I got my broadband through Tiscali and it was quite painless until i moved :angry:

I have been told it can take 20 working days to transfer my broadband to my new place (which is only 200 metres from where i moved from).

Tiscali have also said that i should keep an eye on my e-mail for information!!!!!!!!!!!

That may be difficult :blink:

Can you not check it online at someone elses house or work ? http://www.tiscali.co.uk/login/index.php?u...email/index.php

I found Tiscali to be particulary crap when I moved...ended up cancelling and going with Eclipse....soooooo much better. I also use bigfoot to bounce my email to who ever I'm with, so if I fall out with the ISP I don't have to change email addresses.

Tony,

I've been on NTL for a few years and when I started they didn't give you a disc and I had to do the wiring myself too!  :ph34r:

Once it is up and running it is very good I have found.

I have found NTLs technical support line to be pretty good once you get through. Sorry I cannot be more helpful but it have no idea how the new NTL installation works.

Are you using Windows XP?

PS Take it easy on the poor cat - Nasa have reported a UFO in space and I'm sure its your poor car!  :P

Until now NTL have been very good, their charges and so on are some of the best, and i must admit the Technical area also have been exemplary ( with me ! )

Windows XP....... i wish :unsure: ..... WIN98 is my baby........but she has problems.. :duh:.....( i feel there may be a PC Death very soon )

How's this for an up-date? I phoned NTL an explained my problem and they said 'We can sort it for you' once i have the 'WELCOME' code you recive after installation :unsure: ..... but the installation was not complete so i have 'NO' message!.. 'Try to re-install' and we can take it from there!

So i have!

and again!

Still no BB!

Now what!

As things stand, at the moment Dial-up seems quite good.

As for 'Tigger ( AKA ) the Forum flyer' he now has his 'own' post code.... :ohmy: GPO! on behalf of Tigger 'we Thank You'

Think the engineer was meant to leave me a code or something but didn't then I phoned and they gave me one but it didn't work so they had to give me another or something. Basically just sit on the phone with them til they get you working.

Think the engineer was meant to leave me a code or something but didn't then I phoned and they gave me one but it didn't work so they had to give me another or something. Basically just sit on the phone with them til they get you working.

I have...... over an hour!, they have had me 'inside/ outside and beside' my PC... 'I think i have just lunched a Satellite'... :ohmy: ( not Tigger )

Anyhoo after all this the conclusion is......... 'the modem is f***ed'...... 'OH' :ohmy: well thanks for that!...... i was wondering why it didn't :tsktsk: 'WORK!'

Soon I'm sure NTL will 'disconnect' my 'dial-up' and i will be off-line for a year or two or at least until i can get thisi sorted ( holding of breath not recommended )

Cats ( South, South, West )..... slight 'spin' sorry :duh:

Windows XP....... i wish :unsure: ..... WIN98 is my baby........but she has problems.. :duh:.....( i feel there may be a PC Death very soon )

Windows 98...yikes... I did not know anyone used that anymore...well out of date !!

Sounds like time for a new operating system, though that will probably mean a PC good enough to run XP also....

Windows 98...yikes... I did not know anyone used that anymore...well out of date !!

Sounds like time for a new operating system, though that will probably mean a PC good enough to run XP also....

:lol::lol: Thats how to make him feel better! :P

You can still have a look at device manager in windows 98 to check for any errors but if the conclusion is that the modem is faulty then I suppose you may as well hope the new modem fixes the issues.

The code you are talking about is the PID I think which the engineer should have left you or they should be able to give you it over the phone. I have lost/forgotten mine a few times and been able to get it over the phone.

:lol::lol: Thats how to make him feel better! :P

You can still have a look at device manager in windows 98 to check for any errors but if the conclusion is that the modem is faulty then I suppose you may as well hope the new modem fixes the issues.

The code you are talking about is the PID I think which the engineer should have left you or they should be able to give you it over the phone. I have lost/forgotten mine a few times and been able to get it over the phone.

I had just written the most 'Educational' explanation ever! a 'eyes wide open', never knew that sort of content existed ( tell me more! ) reply :ohmy:

Then my PC 'Crashed' ( locked )

now with this poxy cable modem flashing 'power on' USB this and SYNC that' i'm to fed-up to expand.

Other than, Sat 26th!..... now that is bad customer service don't you think.

So on your cable modem, with it only plugged into the power and the thick wire that NTL installed

you should have "power" "sync" and "ready" lights lit up and solid

if your connecting it to your PC using the USB cable, make sure to install the CD before plugging the modem into your PC

if any of the lights are flashing on the modem with no other wires plugged into it then the modem is goosed.

if the modem is all lit up as it should

im sure we can get you up and running between us :)

So on your cable modem, with it only plugged into the power and the thick wire that NTL installed

you should have "power" "sync" and "ready" lights lit up and solid

if your connecting it to your PC using the USB cable, make sure to install the CD before plugging the modem into your PC

if any of the lights are flashing on the modem with no other wires plugged into it then the modem is goosed.

if the modem is all lit up as it should

im sure we can get you up and running between us :)

Thanks... :crybaby:

At the moment i an still on dial-up.

The cable modem shows the following

Power ( green )

USB 'flashing' ( green )

Enet... blank

Send...blank

Recv 'flashing' with equal force as the USB ( green )

sync ( solid green )

ready ( solid green )

Remember today i have installed the 'pin' codes on the PC so i cannot use the installation disc now..... :crybaby:..... at this point i can install up to a point were i have an 'explorer' error .... then the only option it to terminate.

ANY IDEAS ( cats back :D )

Is it really a USB connection to your PC from the NTL modem? Bad idea if it is as you will be on USB 1.0 on an old machine and you will be running at 10% even if it works. If it's a 1394 connection ad described above ( like a phone but fatter ) then try start ( bottom left ), control panel, netwok connections, then look at 1394 connection=, if you have onedoes it connected or disabled or what? If you don't does it say local area connection and what's against that? ...............

Is it really a USB connection to your PC from the NTL modem? Bad idea if it is as you will be on USB 1.0 on an old machine and you will be running at 10% even if it works. If it's a 1394 connection ad described above ( like a phone but fatter ) then try start ( bottom left ), control panel, netwok connections, then look at 1394 connection=, if you have onedoes it connected or disabled or what? If you don't does it say local area connection and what's against that? ...............

:crybaby: OK..done the panel, found network, and there is nothing resembling a 1394 connection..... :crybaby: i hate all this comp stuff....that connection is that the USB?

Tony

Have been reading your thread.

I am with NTL and have been for many years now. They have their bad days and when things go wrong their service is crap but as the saying goes you get what you pay for and as you mention their charges are very good.

I have found from experience that the best way to get their broadband service is through their set top box which also gives me my cable tv.

Do not use the USB connection as it will be sooooo ssslllooowww, you need an Ethernet connection to get the full benefit of the speed available.

If your PC is more than 5 years old it is likely that you may not have an Ethernet port available so it would be wise to invest in an Ethernet/Network card at a cost of a tenner or so from any PC shop. You should not have too many problems using Win 98 in my opinion.

Once the card is installed and operating it really is just a question of 'plug and play' so long as you are able to install NTL's software and log-in your password details.

I have had no trouble with their telephone troubleshooting service and find it best to call them between 9.00am and midday when they are not so busy and have the time to help you in more detail.

Don't loose heart, when you get yourself up an running you will see a mega improvement on your old dial-up service.

Well Tony

it sounds as if your Modem is working and the problem is with your PC

if your not sure what an Ethernet connection looks like, check on the back of your NTL modem, it may have a sticker over it. loosk like a big phone socket, see if you have one of them on the back of your PC to match and then plug in the cable with the clear plugs at each end.

if you dont have that type of socket on the back of your PC then you'll need a card as Keith suggests.

The USB will work, but its not the best option, do you have other USB devices that work ok? just to eliminate the idea of your USB sockets not working on your PC?

I'm with Telewest, they came and put a cable modem in 10 minutes, I plugged in me wireless router and 2 minutes later, I've got wifi internet all over the house.

Now I have to work out the security settings to stop the neighbour's nicking my signal ;-)

Tony

Have been reading your thread.

I am with NTL and have been for many years now. They have their bad days and when things go wrong their service is crap but as the saying goes you get what you pay for and as you mention their charges are very good.

As i say i don't belittle the charges from NTL only the engineers, and i do understand that the set-up they are trained for is no doubt on 2000 or XP ...way before my baby was born (98)..... 'BUT I am hostile with the outcome..

Here's me Granny Smith (AKA TONY THE COMPUTER PLANK)

'Wheres the PC Gran!'

'Need to drill a few holes love?'

'Don't worry about the mess......... you can clean that up later?'

'Here's the installation CD and... enjoy!'

OK I'm not Granny Smith but i don't understand PCs so i would expect to be dealt in a professional fashion (fair comment i feel)

Keith! this is not your fault only and my reply is 'NOT DIRECTED AT YOU'.... If people within NTL could see the distress and Bad advertising broadcast here online how would they react? When i had the Modem installed Tuesday, i didn't work? i went through all the paper work? i didn't work, Wednesday i phoned NTL TECH, and they talked me though......... even more PC topics that i didn't understand?and that..... didn't work!. Now i have to wait until Sat 26th for an engineer to correct the problem. And how funny is this 'IM PAYING FOR THIS SERVICE'

Boy 'Dial-up' seems much less stress.

When its all up and running you'll forget all about this Tony :)

and when it comes to customer service, NTL are are quite good, try out bulldog or UKonline then you'll know how good NTL really is, some people have been on hold for over 6 hours trying to get thru to UKonline :(