Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Manufacturer's Offset Guidelines For Alloys.

Didin

Hi Peeps,

I'm looking into getting some new alloys pronto, and having a look at some of the manufacturers websites, they seem specify that a 8.5 x 19" rim with 35mm offset is suitable for an IS200/300. (eg, Antera & Kahn)

Has anyone actually tried fitting a wheel of this size with a 35mm offset?

Will it not poke out of the arch too much?

I've read up on some of the posts here and the general agreement is that for an 8" wide rim, a 45mm offset is required, which will presumably keep it just inside the arch. So surely if going half an inch wider and moving it 10mm further out on the offset, its gonna stick out like 15mm???

I'm a bit confused.

You have got the idea... But, 35mm will poke out enough to look... well a bit stupid. The stance will be all wrong, the wheels won't line up and will look dead silly.

35mm offset will fit, but don't expect to be able to lower it much, if not at all!!!

Aim for no less than 40mm on a 8" rim, and 42mm on a 8.5" rim

You have got the idea... But, 35mm will poke out enough to look... well a bit stupid. The stance will be all wrong, the wheels won't line up and will look dead silly.

35mm offset will fit, but don't expect to be able to lower it much, if not at all!!!

Aim for no less than 40mm on a 8" rim, and 42mm on a 8.5" rim

What I'm worried about with an 8.5" at a 42mm offset is it hitting the suspension.

Other than your beasty wheels, theres not a lot of 8x19 with a 40mm offset, let alone 45.

What I'm worried about with an 8.5" at a 42mm offset is it hitting the suspension.

Other than your beasty wheels, theres not a lot of 8x19 with a 40mm offset, let alone 45.

You will have to run coilovers i think.

There will be few options if you steer to the right stores, and not the ones who have 'corner bargains'

Mine were made for the car/drop/lippage i wanted. @ £600ea, yeh i paid a price lol but i got exactly the look i wanted.

Alot of ppl spend thousands on bodykits, which imo spoil the cars sexy curves! I spent them on the wheels to fully use those huge archs to there potential :D

You will have to run coilovers i think.

There will be few options if you steer to the right stores, and not the ones who have 'corner bargains'

Mine were made for the car/drop/lippage i wanted. @ £600ea, yeh i paid a price lol but i got exactly the look i wanted.

Alot of ppl spend thousands on bodykits, which imo spoil the cars sexy curves! I spent them on the wheels to fully use those huge archs to there potential :D

I'm already on Tein Coilovers and the current wheels are 19x8 ET45, running 215/35s causes no rubbing on either side, perfect fit.

I just need a new set but can't find any at the same size and offset.

I got 19inch with 42 ET, but had them taken down to 45 ET, fit no problems and no arch mods done, my tyre size is 235 and it dont catch anything :D

With 19inch you will not get away with putting anything less than a 45 ET on as you will have problems 35 ET will need lots of work on your arch :duh:

I got 19inch with 42 ET, but had them taken down to 45 ET, fit no problems and no arch mods done, my tyre size is 235 and it dont catch anything  :D

With 19inch you will not get away with putting anything less than a 45 ET on as you will have problems 35 ET will need lots of work on your arch  :duh:

What width are your? 8 or 8.5?

I can't understand how they are being sold with ET35s! They must be going on cars with standard suspension.

I'm riding mine with the tyres just inside the arches at the mo, must be lowered about 50mm or so.

I got 19inch with 42 ET, but had them taken down to 45 ET, fit no problems and no arch mods done, my tyre size is 235 and it dont catch anything  :D

With 19inch you will not get away with putting anything less than a 45 ET on as you will have problems 35 ET will need lots of work on your arch  :duh:

What width are your? 8 or 8.5?

I can't understand how they are being sold with ET35s! They must be going on cars with standard suspension.

I'm riding mine with the tyres just inside the arches at the mo, must be lowered about 50mm or so.

No 100% sure (but i will look when i get my car back today) 8.5.

someone sold me a set of 18inch alloys with 35 et and i have standard car and would'nt fit mate :angry: would not even pass MOT with them on, as wheel was out of the arch :o

I'm already on Tein Coilovers and the current wheels are 19x8 ET45, running 215/35s causes no rubbing on either side, perfect fit.

You can run 225-235 tyres on the front with that offset and that size wheel.

What 19s have you got, any pics?

You can run 225-235 tyres on the front with that offset and that size wheel.

What 19s have you got, any pics?

Yeah, I know I can go bigger on the tyres, but I didn't want to change the overall radius too much from standard, so went for the 215s.

They're Wheel mania alloys (no sure of the name) but its a 9 or 10 spoke in Anthracite with a diamond cut rim.

I bought them off a member on here a couple of years ago and not they'r looking a bit tatty - no pics I'm afraid.

Its my wife's car, so admittedly I don't fuss about it too much and take pictures of it (unlike my car ;) )

Was just speaking to a Alloy wheel dealer who reckons he's put loads of 19x8.5 ET38 on the ISs with only minor rear arch rolling. He said the fronts fit perfectly flush with the arch and don't stick out at all. He actually said we wasn't allowed to sell any wheel that sticks out of the arches.

Mmmmmmmm....

I think he's pulling your chain mate.

Look at this,

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

1mm further inward clearance

13mm further OUTWARD

Thats based on your current wheel.

7mm further inward clearance

33mm further OUTWARD

Based on OEM 17"

Any chance u just referb your current wheels?

Mmmmmmmm....

I think he's pulling your chain mate.

Look at this,

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

1mm further inward clearance

13mm further OUTWARD

Thats based on your current wheel.

7mm further inward clearance

33mm further OUTWARD

Based on OEM 17"

Any chance u just referb your current wheels?

He did mention I'll have problems if the car is lowered, so Like I said, those with standard suspension probably get away with those shallow offsets.

Refurb, well thats where the saga started ........

The wheels went off to the refurb place on Monday, They got sand blasted and ready for painting when I got a phone call yesterday telling me that one of them has a "crack" on it. The refurb guys will not complete the job until it is repaired as they do not want to take any liability if the wheel falls apart. So they are on their way back to me - should have them by tomorrow to have a look at this crack.

I thought I'd rather get a new set than have it repaired.

So now the car is up on axle stands in my garden, and my wife is back from the States on saturday and needs to use it for work on Monday!!

So I need to get some new wheels on it by the weekend!!

The nearest one I've found that "may" fit is a 19x8.5 ET 43, but I'm still not sure whether to risk it.

I just can't find any 19x8 ET45s anywhere, they're not even listed by the manufacturers. :(

You are desperate arent yah!

If so, you should take Gord up on his 19s, 45mm offset with tyres 8x19s

basic guide,

OFFSETS

FRONT

width | offset | tires range (width)

7 = 40 and up 215-225

7.5 = 42 and up 215-235

8 = 43 and up 215-235

8.5 = 45 and up 215-225

REAR

7 = 40 and up 215-225

7.5 = 40 and up 215-235

8 = 42 and up 215-245

8.5 = 45 and up 225-265 (255-265 requires rolling or having lip)

9 = 49 and up 235-275 (MAY require rolling or shaving lip)

9.5 = 52 and up 245-285 (MAY require rolling or shaving lip, 285 may require more modification)

10 = 45 and up 255-315(requires pulling fender)

Or, you could just put the OE wheels on...

Yeah, I've had a look at your wheels gord.

Nice, but not what the Mrs would go for - she wants a split look with polished/diamond cut rim - these women eh !!

But I'll deffo keep them in mind as I may not find anything by the weekend.

I'll keep looking in the meantime.

Look in the but/sell part for pic's of my wheels  :D

19inch with ET38 will not fit  :nuke: you will have problems that you wish you never had  :o

Right, sorted it guys.

7.5x19 ET45 with 225/35 tyres.

They should go straight on without any faffing about with arches, and the Mrs can drive the car as low as she wants.

Went for Kahn RS-Vs.

They're not quite what she wanted, but settled on it to be "different".

Thanks for all your re-assuring advice - will post pics once they're on.

Cheers

Diddn