Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Boiler Needed

dlayen

my boiler is struggling and making lots of strange noise's been meaning to get it replaced for some time now

if there is any plumbers here can you recommend a good boiler to buy and where best to buy from?

it's for a 3 bed semi.

fargo-t is a plumber

Gas Engineer if you dont mind Mat,,,

Stay away from French and Italian stuff (biasi, duval etc) may be cheap but they will give you headaches for the rest of the time.

Personally id go for Valiant or Baxi Solo.

Who will be fitting the new boiler,, only reason i ask is that if you go to british gas or servowarm or the the like they will tell you you need a condensing boiler to comply with the current building regs (energy efficitioncy drive n'all that) and condensing boilers are expensive (but will pay money back over the years to come)

if you go private then you can get a combination boiler which youcan pickup now for 300/400/500 odd quid.

if you want someonw to supply and fit for a GOOD price then let me know and myself and my 'team' can sort you out...

as fargo said i aggree steer clear of the french and itallian gear, its cheap to buy and expensive to maintain due to the spares and the requirment for their servicing engineers,

Me and my dad use Alpha boilers (for gas) due to the effeciency, ease of fitting and they use non dedicated parts (keeping servicing cost a whole lot lower than those who dont), though again as fargo stated after march next year all new boilers need to be condensing, and the alpha condenser isnt up to sratch, however the ferolli is, though it uses dedicated parts. Depends when you are doing the swap, for about the size of house you have with out mesurements etc etc take a look at the Alpha CB50

we used alpha (and sime befroe the started to go down hill) before i joined the mob and my dad still does mostly due to the non dedicated parts if i find the link to the alpha site i will post it for you to take a look, i know city plumbing and pps were doing a good deal on them earlier this year

http://www.alpha-boilers.com/products/CB50.html

http://www.alpha-boilers.com/products/CB24CB28.html

http://www.alpha-boilers.com/products/comparisonst.html

until march ish you are looking at the standard effeciency boilers, afetr then you need a high effeciency boiler(condensing) which cost a lot more to install and again as Fargo says they save money in running the system eventually once the cost has been offset

thanks for all the replies what kind of figure would i be looking at for a condensing boiler to be supplied and fitted?

to supply either a valiant or worcester approx 2k or under.. depends of course on viewing the job before hand to make sure neither of us will get any nasty surprises..

I too am looking for a gas fitter to connect a gas hob.

Hopr you don't mind Fargo I have just sent you a PM.

no problem, have replied.

thanks for all the replies what kind of figure would i be looking at for a condensing boiler to be supplied and fitted?

to supply either a valiant or worcester approx 2k or under.. depends of course on viewing the job before hand to make sure neither of us will get any nasty surprises..

I too am looking for a gas fitter to connect a gas hob.

Hopr you don't mind Fargo I have just sent you a PM.

no problem, have replied.

Looks like Paul's going to be busy :D

how did you find your current boiler was to heat up the house.. if that was fine then you could go for maybe the same. have a look onthe boiler and see what the Max Heat Input is, in Kw, or BTU's

but considerations should be made for:-

How many in the household.

how many bedrooms and bathrooms have you got.

whats your water pressure like.

also with a combi or codensing boiler you can do away with the hot water storage tank, freeing up more space for you..

Also you will do away with the expansion tank in the loft.

where in essex are you

existing boiler is crap and has been installed since i moved over ten years ago.

it is made by wickes and has the number 40 on the front of it.

only me most of the time in my house and 3 days a week my daughter also.

3 bedrooms

1 bathroom

water pressure good

i'm 5 miles from southend , Eastwood

i assume all condensing boilers are combi type so re plumbing of heating and ch system.

would say then that a 24kw would be plenty for you guys.

there will be a certain jiggery of the pipe work needed, mainly to convert from an open vent system to a completly sealed system.

how old is the house.. hope it hasnt got old steel pipes, as they tend not to hold up to a pressurized sealed sytem to well..

copper is good..

let me know if you want a supply and fit, and ill talk to my partner in crime...errr i mean associate about what we can do (with regards seeing the job to price acurately.. as we are the other side of the M25 near heathrow..

• 1 month later...

This Thread is being resurrected!! B)

As some may know we have been having an extension built on the house for a few months now (seems like forever!) We need a new boiler and would like some advice please.

Mr Fargo has been very kind in a PM I exchanged with him and he recommended a few brands. The extension has cost a fortune so money is pretty tight, but I know the false economy of buying a cheap boiler now and then having the pain in the backside when they go constantyly wrong.

The builder is going to be fitting the boiler, so I am just after the boiler on its own (with flue and clock I assume?) He said he can get one but its extra, and I bet its just some cheap crap. Rather buy my own decent one. Has to be a condensing Combi Boiler due to building regulations.

Have 5 people in the house with 10 Radiators (2 large ones that "curve" around with the bay windows and two small (about 600mm wide), the rest are average size. Once the work is done we should have 5 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and 1 cloakroom/shower room. No idea about the water pressure but I assume its good. Oh also have a Washing Machine and a Dishwasher (if its relevent). (Plus an outside tap so I can acutally clean my car :P )

From ringing up places like Harrison McCarthy and Co they have said 30KW or over is what I require :duh:

Had a look on eBay and seen a few that seem good and well priced:

ARISTON MICROGENUS CONDENSING 32KW COMBI BOILER

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARISTON-MICROGENUS-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: Was the favouirite, but just seen Paul's comment earlier in the thread to avoid Ariston boilers.

Baxi/Main Combi 30HE Gas Central Heating Boiler New

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Baxi-Main-Combi-30HE...1QQcmdZViewItem

Condensing Combi Boiler HE flue, timer Brand New BOXED

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Condensing-Combi-Boi...1QQcmdZViewItem

Another Edit (after a search on Google Groups)

Total bollocks. You have never seen one. Alpha and Ariston have revamps

their whole ranges and give long guarantees. The older models were not that

brilliant, yet I know some who always swore by Alpha. The Alpha CD50 has a

FIVE year guarantee with a stainless steel water vessel and the Ariston

Microgenus has a 2 year guarantee with 5 years on the plate heat exchanger.

I have had a Microgenus for 3 years and it has been perfect. At the time it

was the smallest cased combi around. It is also has a very simple layout.

The main heat exchanger slides in and out. A doddle to work on.

Thanks,

Anees :D

So you are after a new boiler :D you said you was not going to get married :D

I like the bit where you said that you will be washing you car :lol: :P

If you want sean number send pm or give me a call :D

:P :P

Will see you on Tuesday mate (once I get the car cleaned to a somewhat decent standard) ;)

stay away from ariston,, dont care if they have had a revamp,, still problomatic....

baxi/main,,, also few problems.. although baxi do haev good boilers..

that guy who says the migogenus heat exchanger slide in and out,,, why mention such a thing unless he has had to replace it..

vaillent is where is put my money to be honest..

also there are no boiler police,, so if you dont get a condensing boiler,, who is gona know...