Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 - Diary

koshime

It's a shame the new IS250 doesn't have a full size spare.

I had a similar incident when I just got my IS, my dad kerbed the front wheel going through those tight bollards :tsktsk:

Took the car down to my dealer, and they swapped over the spare wheel (and tyres around) for free.

Then when some of them started corroding, they changed the whole set :D

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

full size spare only adds weight to the car.. alot of owners remove it and take a can of tyre weld with them.

Is that legal Steve ?

What would happen if you were pulled over, your car was just randomly checked and they found a can of tyre weld in the hole where your spare should be ? :blink:

full size spare only adds weight to the car.. alot of owners remove it and take a can of tyre weld with them.

Is that legal Steve ?

What would happen if you were pulled over, your car was just randomly checked and they found a can of tyre weld in the hole where your spare should be ? :blink:

Perfectly legal, some vehicles come that way from the manufacturer.

Personally I wouldn't like it, tyre weld will get you by with a simple puncture, but if the tyre is badly damaged then you're knackered.

I once ran over a brick on the motorway and it tore the sidewall out.

Perfectly legal, some vehicles come that way from the manufacturer.

Personally I wouldn't like it, tyre weld will get you by with a simple puncture, but if the tyre is badly damaged then you're knackered.

I once ran over a brick on the motorway and it tore the sidewall out.

Now you've mentioned it, I'm pretty sure you're right.

I think the RS Focus got tyre weld and not a spare.

I don't like the sound of driving over a brick on a motorway. Was it a bad accident ? :blink:

I don't like the sound of driving over a brick on a motorway.  Was it a bad accident ? :blink:

No, I didn't like the sound of it either (BANG) - scared the life out of me.

Fortunately, only the tyre was trashed. The rim had a slight ding in it, but otherwise OK.

I don't like the sound of driving over a brick on a motorway.  Was it a bad accident ? :blink:

No, I didn't like the sound of it either (BANG) - scared the life out of me.

Fortunately, only the tyre was trashed. The rim had a slight ding in it, but otherwise OK.

Sounds like luck was on your side that day. :D

What car were you driving ?

Sounds like luck was on your side that day.  :D

What car were you driving ?

I would've felt luckier if I hadn't hit it at all :D but you're right, it could have been very nasty.

T'was a Vauxhall Vectra (about 5 yrs ago).

Incidentally, for the MOT I think if you carrying a spare it has to be legal, but if you don't have one at all it doesn't matter.

car looks great - and you obviously are very happy with it!

good for you  :D

Maintenance - this little baby has AI that will tell you when something needs replacing...how mad is that. Just like the management screen in Gran Turismo! Heh heh!

img_3918.jpg

just thought I would point out that you need to enter the information for servicing into this screen - it does not "automagically" tell you that an (eg) air filter change is needed.

You say at what mileage each maintenance item is due - and the car will remind you.

If it's a similar system to LS there is even a calendar/diary in there so you can put reminders in for Birthdays and stuff :)

Here is an Excerpt from Autospies!

Use at own risk *grin*

Lexus IS Has Secret Cheat Code

This makes sense when you think about it. Cars have computers and computers have always had hidden Easter eggs and cheat codes, so it was inevitable that someone would find a cheat code hidden inside a car. Case in point: here’s way to disable the traction/skid control systems called VDIM on the Lexus IS:

***“start the car with the parking brake on ….then foot brake twice….(keep the foot brake down)….then parking brake twice (keep it down )and repeat till skid light is on the dash…..it will reset when you restart the car”

Source: Realtechnews.com via VW Vortex forum post

Here's an update from one of the forum members over at IS350forums.com

I just got back from an attempt to confirm it and I think I was successful. Here is what I did:

1. (VDIM ON) As stated above, I set the parking brake and started the car. Pumped the brakes twice, set and reset the parking brake twice. I pumped the brakes twice more and the TRAC-OFF light came on the dash.

2. (VDIM OFF) From a stop, I turned right. I started slow but went to full throttle before I was fully into the turn. The RPMs went way up when it shifted to second and I felt I could hear the rear wheels losing traction, but it was not a "squeel".

3. (VDIM OFF) I found an emtpy parking lot. Stopped the car and turned the wheel all the way left. Went right to full throttle. The back end slid out and I did doughnuts. The wheels didnt "squeel", but the RPMs where up and the rear-end had 0 traction.

4. (VDIM ON/TRAC-OFF) Shut down the car to reset. Set TRAC-OFF. Did the same as #3. The back end never lost traction but there was a LOT of "squeel".

5. (VDIM OFF) From a red light, I made a left turn. I immediately went to full throttle and completely lost the rear end and had to counter steer. Some "squeeling".

6. (VDIM ON/TRAC-OFF) I did the same as #5 at the same light. The rear end started to slip. I Heard 4 beeps in quick succession and the rear end got traction and was back on track.

I didnt bother doing VDIM-ON/TRAC-ON as I think #5 and #6 prove it.

The key here are the 4 beeps. Using this method to disable VDIM will let you completely lose the rear-end and smoke the tires. You'll NEVER hear the beeps.

Alright - 3 to 6 washes later....Its a pain trying to keep the car clean

I can - opt for a total Zymol protection system adn send it to these guys to detail

http://www.sportscarprotection.com/prices.htm

or I can grab a few complete kit sets and work at it myself.

What do you guys reckon?

Some engine details to follow