Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stuff To Do In Manchester

Colin P

Hi People.

First of all, the Lex is going in 2 hours :crybaby:

Second, off up to Manchester for a few days in December with the girlfriend, so, looking for sugestions of places to go to shop and any nice restaurants you lot can reccomend. Staying in the Thistle Hotel near Picadilly Gardens I believe it's called? Also, know of any decent bars in the area?

I will be trawling through the many pages on the net for suggestions too but thought i'd ask people on here for their unbiased views and suggestions!

Apparently you can get the tram to the Trafford Centre my mate reckons so will be doing that, may even pop over to Liverpool for a day just to look around.

Never been that far up north before! :blink::hehe::lol:

Manchester has a fantastic shopping area right in the middle of the city centre and there's also Trafford Park if you like your malls (only a few miles outside the centre).

If you're looking for somewhere nice to eat try some of the restaurants in china town. There's some fantastic curry houses in Rusholme but it's a bit of a trek if you're in the middle of the city.

Pubs in the centre tend to be the usual franchised places so it really depends what you're looking for. There's the Printworks with bars such as Tiger Tiger and the Hard Rock Cafe, or just have a wander around the city centre - there's plenty to choose from.

Picadilly Gardens is a bit odd now that it's all concrete and water features - it seems to attract the wrong element which is a shame.

hmmm, so should I still stay at the Thistle or do you think it would be worth looking at another hotel?

I presume China town is basically in the city centre (like it is in London) or is it a bit of a trek? I will have a car up there so don't mind a bit of a drive if it's worth it (in reference to the curry houses in Rusholme)

As for pubs/bars, just somewhere that looks decent and you can sit down and have a drink in, ideally one that plays decent music too (rules out Wetherspoons) so going by your post i'll just take note of decent looking places while we shop in the day time

I guess it depends what you're used to. Manchester can be a little rough around the edges in places, it tries to be all modern and cosmopolitan but it still has problems. If you know your way around though it should be fine.

If you're driving into the centre of Manchester then be prepared for all the usual big-city-traffic-congestion-problems (I'm used to it now but it can be a right pain in the butt if you've never been there before).

China Town is only about 5 minutes walk from Picadilly.

There's a couple of pubs near the Printworks that I really like, I'll try to dig out the names. (EDIT : The Shakespeare on Fountain Street)

If you fancy a bit of an adventure head over to the gay bars around canal street. :o

Lots in Manchester colin, lots of Bars of every tast :duh: we even got a big wheel (like the one in London). same story with leaving your car in town, dont leave anything on show, most of the hotels have car parks dso you should be ok, If you go into liverpool make sure you have locking wheel nuts on :lol: :P

china town is just mins from your hotel in the centre, if you like curry houses then the curry mile is about 10 mins drive from where you are :D

If im free and you are going for a pint give me a call and i will pop down for a pint with you :winky:

I work right in the city centre, here is my tuppence worth.

Thistle Hotel not the best.

Alternatives try Malmaison or Rosetti, both in the same area, or if you feel very flush the Raddison Edwardian or Lowry.

Loads to see and do. Sorry with two kids can't really recomend bars, but Canal Street (Gay Village) worth an explore or Deansgate Locks. Living Room on Deansgate if you want to play spot the Footballer.

Christmas Markets have just opened in Albert and St Annes Squares and worth a visit and the Big Wheel is at the back of Harvey Nichols and Selfridges.

Food you can get great soup for £2.50 in the Soup Kitchen in the bohenien Northern Quarter. Good pizza at Croma, Piccolinos or Olive Press.

all good advice there lads cheers, I think i'll look around at some other hotels then possibly but it's only for shagging and a bit of sleep I suppose.

Gord, will drop you a PM with the dates when i've finalised a hotel and if you're not doing anything then we could have a Stella or two

oh and the car has just gone, I miss it already :crybaby:

EDIT: Just looked at the Lowry and the Malmaison, they both look nice. Thinking of booking the Lowry out of the two though? The Radisson Edwardian looks pretty nice too actually

Edited by Colin P

all good advice there lads cheers, I think i'll look around at some other hotels then possibly but it's only for shagging and a bit of sleep I suppose.

Gord, will drop you a PM with the dates when i've finalised a hotel and if you're not doing anything then we could have a Stella or two

oh and the car has just gone, I miss it already  :crybaby:

EDIT: Just looked at the Lowry and the Malmaison, they both look nice. Thinking of booking the Lowry out of the two though? The Radisson Edwardian looks pretty nice too actually

Had works christmas do at the Lowry very nice place, 5* too, i think it was over £150 per night to stay :duh:

you can get the tram to the trafford centre but in reality its tram to stretford tram stop and then bus to the t.c. i'd defo visit the printworks whilst you are there and for food and a good stella you have to visit the english lounge, can't remember the street but its opposite the arndale car park near shudehill tram stop and the printworks, lovely real fire on the go this time of year. lots to do and see in manc land, was never a fan of the t.c, much preferred coming into the city centre for shopping, could never get what i wanted at the t.c. deansgate locks, you have to visit there and also castlefield altho drinks are pricey. www.itchymanchester.co.uk will give you some ideas.