Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Internet Provider?

Kazi

Although im currently with NTL and had no problems so far, im looking into getting broadband in my room aswell as in the study.

I wont be going down the wireless route road which is what NTL suggested as they don't do more than one connection per house hold!!!

How stupid is that?!! :blink: Why not just turn down extra revenue?! :angry:

Anyone got any other suggestions, although limited as I have no BT line.

Help appreciated.

Kaz

just buy a router and put a cable to every room you want a net connection, or you can buy a pair of plug in net boxes, basically it looks like a 3 pin mains plug and it transmits the internet signal to any other power socket in the house you just plug in another 3 pin mains plug type thing and plug in your ethernet cable into it and into whatever you want internet on.

but a wireless router is the best option.

Why don't you want to go down the wireless route Kaz?  It's a cost effective option and should you want to add more PCs/laptops, it can be done quite easily....

The current computer im using in the study is my mars and not realy classed as a speed machine and would drastically slow the computer down. Long and short, she said no! :lol:

I know it would be more cost effective to go wireless but its not my choice to be honest. Im on the phone again to NTL now so see what they say again.

what is it you want from NTL, 2 lines? why? a wired router will give you exactly the same but without costing you for 2 lines. if you really must have 2 lines then NTL offer a games console account which is the same as having 2 lines you get 2 seperate ip numbers to use on a pc and an xbox but the xbox could be another pc.

what is it you want from NTL, 2 lines? why? a wired router will give you exactly the same but without costing you for 2 lines. if you really must have 2 lines then NTL offer a games console account which is the same as having 2 lines you get 2 seperate ip numbers to use on a pc and an xbox but the xbox could be another pc.

NTL won't play ball!! As ive said, not my choice. Mum will not let me setup wireless router!

Feeling very frustrated as every other IP requires a frigin BT line!

The current computer im using in the study is my mars and not realy classed as a speed machine and would drastically slow the computer down. Long and short, she said no!  :lol:

why would it slow the machine down?

there is no (real) difference between having a wired network card installed uin your machine, with a cable coming out of it into a second NTL box, and having a wireless card in there connecting to a router by the cable modem.

Although im currently with NTL and had no problems so far, im looking into getting broadband in my room aswell as in the study.

I wont be going down the wireless route road which is what NTL suggested as they don't do more than one connection per house hold!!!

How stupid is that?!! :blink:  Why not just turn down extra revenue?!  :angry:

Anyone got any other suggestions, although limited as I have no BT line.

Help appreciated.

Kaz

I have two NTL points in the house :whistling:

Sudden twist in this little story.............after several phone calls and even telling NTL to cancel the existing TV, Phone and Broadband they still would not agree to another internet point in the house they called me up and an engineer is now scheduled to install it on Saterday!!!

WTF? Does anybody actually know what they are doing at that company or what?

Anyway, im pleased now to have sorted this out. :D

Computer ive bought is as follws;

Philips

3.4 Ghz AMD 64 processor,

Gig Ram

200 Hard Drive

DVD RW/Duel drive

19" flat pannel lcd monitor

wirelss keyboard & Mouse

all for £540, bargain or what........what you reckon?

Similar to my own experience of NTL - you have to take the gloves off before they listen!

When my apartment was renovated, NTL installed two points, one in the lounge and one in the bedroom, but hadn't terminated the bedroom point correctly. It took me several phone calls and threats to take my business elsewhere before they'd come out and finish the job.

But now it's me who's screwing them with my Dbox :whistling:

Similar to my own experience of NTL - you have to take the gloves off before they listen!

When my apartment was renovated, NTL installed two points, one in the lounge and one in the bedroom, but hadn't terminated the bedroom point correctly. It took me several phone calls and threats to take my business elsewhere before they'd come out and finish the job.

But now it's me who's screwing them with my Dbox  :whistling:

Thing is, they still wouldnt budge even after I put my 30 day disconnection notice in.............

The bloke who rang me could not understand why I had problems trying to organise the installation.

Monkies........... :D