Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This is exactly the solution I want - but Lexus Milton Keynes just shrug their shoulders!

keep your eyes on the fourm next week then ;)

very easy to fit, simply plugs into the back of the stereo - and does exactly what it says on the tin - lets you play your ipod through the OEM stereo. Complete with track details on the OEM screen.

very, very cool B)

Matt - are you talking about the VAIS Technology Soundlinq? It looks like it does the trick.

If this solution would also work for the RX400h then I would be very interested indeed. Its my only complaint on the car. The tape solution is better than the FM one but what we really need is the Ipod delievring the quality sound we all know it has. Looking forward to the seeing details on this product....

So are you doing a deal with them on price or do I just order direct?

we are doing a deal with them on price - ie a "Group Buy".

we (as members) buy X amount of units - and we get a discount on the price.

I don't want to hassle you Matt but I am getting heavy metal withdrawal symptons - is this deal coming off soon and if so what's the procedure?

I don't want to hassle you Matt but I am getting heavy metal withdrawal symptons - is this deal coming off soon and if so what's the procedure?

I dont know Roland :blush:

I have told the supplier there is interest in this, and he does want to run a group buy - but I've not heard from him for a few days now :blush:

I'll email him now

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

I've just been in touch with the Vias guys - who said they didn't sell internationally - then i did a search on here and found this post!

Matt, count me in if you can get them to send to us in the UK.

I've got an IS300 without the sat nav so the SoundLinQ (Model SLU) i think (hope!!!) would do me!

Hope they go for it!

Si

• 1 month later...
I have a ipod unit in my GS430.

I shall be launching a group buy on these very soon.

the unit integrates flawlessly into the standard Lexus stereo. The ipod can be controlled using the touch screen, or the steering wheel controls.

I love it - it is a fantastic unit. Utterly stealth - there is no sign of the ipod anywhere, and you control it just like you would any other audio device.

I am about to buy a new shape ex-demo GS300. I would like to put the Vais auxiliary Input Adapter as you have shown. Although vasstech do not ship outside the US I have a friend in New York who could take delivery and then send onto me

My question is how easy is it to get to the "audio harness" to plug in the adapter as shown on the website? Is this something I can easily do or do I need to ask my Lexus dealer to do it.

Thanks

TudorDoc

Couldn't wait for the group buy guys, so my friend in Boston ordered it and shipped it over. Arrived yesterday (took 6 weeks by air mail!) so I'm taking it down to the Milton Keynes dealership next week (for my "free" Spring safety check) and ask I'll be asking them to fit it. Let you know what happens.

By the way, I thought the Customs & Excise gestapo would have intercepted the parcel and added import duty and VAT (21%) but they didn't, despite it being correctly described on the customs dec. If you get one shipped over, bear in mind this might happen.

• 3 weeks later...
Couldn't wait for the group buy guys, so my friend in Boston ordered it and shipped it over. Arrived yesterday (took 6 weeks by air mail!) so I'm taking it down to the Milton Keynes dealership next week (for my "free" Spring safety check) and ask I'll be asking them to fit it. Let you know what happens.

By the way, I thought the Customs & Excise gestapo would have intercepted the parcel and added import duty and VAT (21%) but they didn't, despite it being correctly described on the customs dec. If you get one shipped over, bear in mind this might happen.

HAve you had the unit installed? What was the cost? I was wondering that since I have a Sony MP3 player, I would be happy to have the power and line in lead put through to where the cupholders are in the central console. I wonder if that would make installation easier than getting the leads into the glovebox

TudorDoc

anything ever happen with this group buy for IPOD adapter?? If not, anyone know what is the kit called and where can I order it from??

Cheers!

You can get from here http://vaistech.com/sli.html but you'll need a friend in the US who can send it onto you. At present I am just using a cassettte adaptor and the sound its pretty good.

TudorDoc

Just wondering... In the pics it is labeling the tracks with disc numbers. What's up with that? and how does it work? Looking at my ipod I can pick by song, artist, genre etc. and see multiple choices on the screen. Is that how this would work?

Tim

Had Lexus Milton Keynes fit the VAIS unit last week. They charged £160 for the privilege, but it was worth it. The head unit thinks it is another CD changer and you switch over to it using the Mode button. The Ipod sits in the glovebox connecting to a cable which leads to the head unit. The VAIS unit keeps the IPOD charged and when you switch off the ignition, puts the IPOD into sleep mode, so you can leave it in all the time. One issue, though especially if you have a very large CD collection. The VAIS unit allows a maximum 99 playlists with 99 tracks in each. i.e. 10,000 tracks and treats each playlist as a separate disc. It won't play randomly across playlists, only within them. So you can't have true random selection. You could completely randomise your collection and then load up the playlists accordingly but then you would never be able to find anything! I have created 20 playlists specific to my favourite bands and the other 79 playlists are totally random and include all my favouriute bands again, a reasonable compromise. One final note for anyone shipping from the States. The box contains a license agreement specifically prohibiting export ( I guess they don't have a license) so make sure your US mates know this or they could end up in Guantanamo!

I have a Sony MP3 player. I do not think I could get the iPod integration. At present I have a cassette adapter. For reasons that are not clear, the volume has to be racked up considerably - which I did not have to do when I used the same adapter and MP3 player in my old IS200.

It strikes me that all I really need is a line-in point to the audio system fed to the cupholder compartment. Are there input sockets on the back of the radio that could take the ends of a lead from the MP3 player. It would be a small matter to feed from the back of the radio to the cupholder I would have thought

TudorDoc

I assume there is only one input to the head unit and that is used by the CD player. The VAIS gizmo replaces the line into the head unit with a dual connector, one for the IPOD and one for the CD player, as well as integrating the IPOD with the car stereo controls.

VAIS don't just do IPOD connectors though. They provide an auxiliary input for other makes, its just that they may not have the same level of integration.

• 5 weeks later...

A few days after I got the VAIS gadget fitted, the SatNav stopped working (lost the GPS signal). Took it back to Lexus MK, who said it was probably the navigation disc (doh!). Sounded odd to me but I let them put in a new one and still it didn't work. Took it back for them to pull out the sound system again and they said the gadget's control box was interfering with the GPS signal so they moved it (last Thursday). SatNav worked fine over the weekend, then started to flicker yesterday and by the afternoon the GPS symbol had disappeared altogether. Working my way up to frazzle over this - but I can't believe it was VAIS's fault. Have emailed them to query it - will keep y'all posted.

Had this response from VAIS re the problem with the SatNav:

We had this problem back in January, and have already fixed it, all we

need is to get your unit here for one day.

--

Best regards,

Eugene Kaspin

VAIS Technology

phone: 720-733-2348

e-mail: info@vaistech.com

Oh boll :tsktsk: ks ! I'll just drive on over then.............

Having said that, the GPS signal came back and whilst it flickers from time to time, the car hasn't got lost yet. Still, y'all had best be aware.

I know it`s not so neat and tidy as having an Mp3 player 'installed' so to speak but I just use an FM transmitter with my Sony walkman and it works fine. The unit can still sit in the glove box if so desired, out of the way but of course awkward for skipping tracks etc.