Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Legal Quandry

hucklewoo

Waiting at a red light at a two-lane one way road, pavement to the left and right so no opportunity to squeeze left or right, a police car rushes up behind, blue lights flashing and needs to get through. The police car is too big to squeeze between the traffic so the only way to let it through is to drive through the red light. What's the right thing to do?

stay where u are, then you wont get flashed and then spend months trying to prove otherwise - they will prob only be going to the chippy before it closes anyway

or they are probably late for their tea break :excl:

Don't quote me on this but I think the only emergency vehicle you have to move for at red lights are ambulances.

No - fire & rescue vehicles only. They are the only emergency service which is obliged to comply with response times

Aha. I knew it was only one of the services, but wasn't sure which. :blush:

Saying that though, I think I'd still move for an ambulance wouldn't you ? There could be someone in the back of it near to death.

I'd move onto the junction if necessary, then fight it later if an NIP comes through the post.

you must not commit a motoring offence to let an emergency vehicle pass you, this includes driving through a redlighted junction, driving onto pavement etc. if in doubt, wait until your signal is clear. you must not endanger other road users. although the majority of drivers would try their best to allow an emergerncy vehicle pass even if it meant moving through a red light, and argue their case in court if it came to it. highway code simply states 194: Emergency vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights, headlights or sirens. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of the emergency vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but do not endanger other road users.

perhaps it mught be good idea to try to memorise the number plate of the emergency vehicle you moved for, just in case...

Consider the route of the emergency vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but do not endanger other road users.

thats an interesting one, not so long ago i was driving along when an ambulance came round a sharp corner, overtaking another car...with lights and no siren on.....

ON my side of the road, causing me to swerv out the way.......on looking at the driver, a woman, she was waving and mouthing something.. :tsktsk: at me to move out the way.....like it was my fault....stupid cow

which i had no choice to do..............she was driving like a ****!! :tsktsk: , and dam right dangerous

Edited by Monster-Mat

ON my side of the road, causing me to swerv out the way.......on looking at the driver, a woman, she was waving and mouthing something..  at me to move out the way.....like it was my fault....stupid cow

she was prob on the handsfree talking about makeup n stuff, the guys at the depot prob turned the lights off for her when she got back

(im just kidding, women are very good at driving :unsure: )

stay where u are, then you wont get flashed and then spend months trying to prove otherwise - they will prob only be going to the chippy before it closes anyway

Whatever - have you ever had to ring police ? Just think, next time either you, or someone you know / friend / family is getting there head kicked in, or is in big trouble and need the police, that the person blockin access to that police vehicle trying to get to YOU won't be able to because someone has the same attitude as you.

or they are probably late for their tea break :excl:

Yeah - because you are really talking from experience arent you ?

Don't quote me on this but I think the only emergency vehicle you have to move for at red lights are ambulances.

Wrong.

cornwall - its also strange how the lights switch off as soon as they get onto the exit sliproad

Strange? No it's actually called "being cancelled as other units are on scene" or I suppose you are talking from experience are you ?

To answer you question ........... I wouldn't worry about it.

The Red light camera will see you were only doing 0 - 5mph, and the call the police were going to will also be logged. The fact that they set off the red light camera, will also be logged.

you did the right thing by making way for the police vehicle.

Whatever - have you ever had to ring police ? Just think, next time either you, or someone you know / friend / family is getting there head kicked in, or is in big trouble and need the police, that the person blockin access to that police vehicle trying to get to YOU won't be able to because someone has the same attitude as you.

Wrong.

To answer you question ........... I wouldn't worry about it.

The Red light camera will see you were only doing 0 - 5mph, and the call the police were going to will also be logged. The fact that they set off the red light camera, will also be logged.

you did the right thing by making way for the police vehicle.

I personally would move for any emergency vehicles (providing it don't put me in a vulnerable position at the lights). Like you put, the camera only picks up that you were doing 0-5mph anyway. And I did put "don't quote me on this" on my post as I wasn't completely sure about which emergency service was allowed through red lights. ;)

As you put above, it could be you who rings the emergency services for a quick response next time, and if some berk is sat at the lights and won't let them through you have to ask yourself if you would forgive the person at the lights.

cornwall - its also strange how the lights switch off as soon as they get onto the exit sliproad

Strange? No it's actually called "being cancelled as other units are on scene" or I suppose you are talking from experience are you ?

oohhh it seems to have touched a nerve! and yes i am actually speaking from experience - i did move out of the way for a cop car, got flashed and did spend ages sorting it out!

also 2nd point used that road i refer to many times a day at various times, only time u see a copper with lights on is between 4 and 5, they get onto the slip road exit, and then pull into the depot and then stroll out to the office - how do I know, because I have seen it many many times. yes strangely enough always seem to be between 4 or 5, mmmm but as you say as they get on the exit ramp they must get the call to say other units are on the scene

oohhh  it seems to have touched a nerve!  and yes i am actually speaking from experience - i did move out of the way for a cop car, got flashed and did spend ages sorting it out!   

also 2nd point used that road i refer to  many times a day at various times,  only time u see a copper with lights on is between 4 and 5,  they get onto the slip road exit, and then pull into the depot and then stroll out to the office - how do I know, because I have seen it many many  times. yes strangely enough always seem to be between 4 or 5,  mmmm  but as you say as they get on the exit ramp they must get the call to say other units are on the scene

You haven't touched a nerve at all, I'm giving you factual replies.

You chose not to like them ? and instead reply with Opinion based replies.

Between 4-5pm you say ? Well that's strage, because the shift pattern for police officer do not fall between that time, neither to police officers have lunch / tea at that time.

Police vehicles all have an IDR (black box) which is downloaded to check if all blue light calls were made for the right reasons, if any are found not to ... the driver will get prosecuted, I suppose you knew that too ?

Obviously not.

and in future no i wont move, am i being selfish, ignorant?- probably

Yes you are.

Like I said in my previous post, one day .................. you will want the assistance of the police.

I Just hope that day, it doesn't put anyone else at risk of life and death.

Like I said in my previous post, one day .................. you will want the assistance of the police.

when they do arrive...2 maybe 6 hours later, they will only give you a hard time and a crime number anyway rob :)

forgot to add......if they even bother to turn up that is......i mean, your a real criminal