Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

:duh:

My VIN code is strange. I mean, it is so different from the standard code squence.

17-digit VIN code is standard after 1981.

First two digits are for the manufacturer's country and brand name.

The 4th letter is for Engine and Transmission.

The 5th is for Car Line or model such as LS200, ES300, or LS400.

And the 10th letter shows the vehcle model year. That is one of the most important code, I think.

Other digits (numbers or alphabet) are serial number, check number, and so on.

Here is an example VIN: JT#UF##E#P########. (# is number)

J- Japan

T-Toyota

U- LS400 and AT 4 door sedan

F- LS400

E-Body type

P- Model Year; P- '93 ('91(M)-'92(N)-'94®.... ) No I, O, Q.. for abmiguity.

However, the code of my car is different sequence except first two letters - JT.

My VIN code is like this: JT###UF##########. Two VIN codes are the same.

How can I understand this situation?

Is there anybody knows the meaning of the VIN code correctly?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

:excl:

1st Character: The 1st character of your car's vehicle identification number identifies the country where it was manufactured.

VIN Character 1 - Manufacturing Country Codes

1 or 4 ...2........ 3...... J......... K...... S......... W......... Z

USA Canada Mexico Japan Korea England Germany Italy

2nd Character: The 2nd character in your car's VIN specifies the manufacturer, for example:

VIN Character 2 - Car Manufacturer Codes

...A.... B...... H...... A......... D.......... N......... T..... V...... V

Audi BMW Honda Jaguar Mercedes Nissan Toyota Volvo VW

3rd Character: The 3rd character in your car's vehicle identification number indicates the vehicle type or manufacturing division. This varies among car makes and models.

4th - 8th Character: The 4th through 8th characters in your car's VIN reveals its features/attributes, such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc. Again, this varies widely among car makes, models and equipment.

9th Character: The 9th character in your car's vehicle identification number is a VIN accuracy check digit, verifying the previous numbers within the VIN. This check digit is a single number or letter "X" used to verify the accuracy of the transcription of the vehicle identification number.

There is a precise method for obtaining the check digit; after all other characters in the VIN have been determined by the manufacturer, the check digit is calculated by carrying out a mathematical computation. The correct numeric remainder - zero through nine (0-9) will appear. However, if the remainder is 10 the letter "X" is used to designate the check digit value.

10th Character: The 10th character in your car's VIN tells you the model year. (This varies somewhat among car manufacturers ?)

11th Character: The 11th character in your car's vehicle identification number reveals the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th - 17th Character: The 12th through the 17th character in your car's VIN indicate the sequence of the vehicle for production as it rolled off the manufacturer's assembly line. The last four characters are always numeric.

damn formatting !!!!!

10th Character: The 10th character in your car's VIN tells you the model year. (This varies somewhat among car manufacturers )

VIN Character - Model Year Codes

1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980

...1...... 2..... 3...... 4..... 5...... 6...... 7...... 8....... 9....... A

1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990

...B..... C..... D....... E....... F....... G...... H...... J...... K...... L

1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000

...M..... N..... P...... R....... S...... T...... V...... W..... X..... Y

2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

....1 .....2..... 3....... 4..... 5......6...... 7..... ..8..... ..9..... A

There are two variations on this, the ISO 3779 format (which Dundee has) and the North American standard (which everyone's describing). Both are illustrated here.

My old '86 Corolla liftback had a VIN of:-

JT1L0EE80050550** (last two digits left out)

Unfortunately it's difficult to dig up the correct information from the Internet any more, due to it getting snowed under with more and more fake search engines instead of genuine websites.

• 15 years later...

Alternatively, use the one on the Lexus web site. I did, and it is the only one that A. works and B. produced the right spec. Should hasten to add this was for my Lexus and I suspect it might not work on other brands.