Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good Investment?

Tarmac

Hi all

I am currently looking at purchasing a 2000 reg Lexus IS200 Sport (manual transmission) as an everyday car. My current car (DC5 ITR) is becoming more of a track car than a road car and therefore I must put her to rest in the garage until the Nurburgring next September. :crying:

So, I have been asking around about what a good, reliable, and respectable car would be. I've been told by various people that a Lexus IS200, a BMW 325Ci or a Merc CLK Komp would suit best. My own personal preference is the IS200 as it feels very comfortable to drive and rings of top quality (nothing personal against the other two options).

I would appreciate very much if some of you IS200 afficionado's could tell me what I should look out for when purchasing one. Also are there any commonly known flaws with them? Anything else you care to offer in terms of buying advice or feelings towards the IS200 would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Keith.

In addition, have a browse through the forums (and do a search for new buyers) and youll find loads of things mentioned (like corroding alloys, dodgy stereos etc). At the end of the day, the IS's are great cars Keith, and now better value than ever before. Have a look through buy and sell here too as there are a few members cars up for sale too.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you get on... :)

Welocme to LOC :D

Have you test drivent he other two cars out of interest? Also, depends what sort of perfomrance you are after really buddy.

IS is a great drive and after owning one for over 12 months I still love the ride!

As Zee says, the main probs are wheel corroding and stereo problems. Although my stereo is 3 and a half years old and has been excellent!

Good lcuk with the purchase :D

...Have you test drivent he other two cars out of interest? Also, depends what sort of perfomrance you are after really buddy...

As Zee says, the main probs are wheel corroding and stereo problems. Although my stereo is 3 and a half years old and has been excellent!...

Thanks kaz!

I test drove all three cars. I found the beemer to be quite comfortable and a very solid drive - just as good as the IS. The beemer lost out though because there was nothing in it from my perspective to make it stand head and shoulders above the IS and to justify it costing an extra 4 grand! I just didn't like the merc at all - for some reason, I imagined my age increased by 40 years when I started driving the merc. Very inhibited experience altogether.

I'm not looking for performance at all as my current car is an absolute beast and it will now become my track day car as every day wear and tear is too much on it. I like the grunt off the IS200 although it does feel quite sluggish - i.e. it could do with an extra 50bhp or something like that? As said though, it's by no means a point of failure for me as performance is a non-issue for this purchase.

To be honest, if wheel corrosion and some dodgy stereo's are the worst problems that people can think of about a car, then it really does speak volumes about what a truely top-quality car it is.

Many thanks for all comments and thoughts - you've all helped to afirm my hopes that the IS200 actually is as good as I thought it was B)

Cheers

Keith.

...Have you test drivent he other two cars out of interest? Also, depends what sort of perfomrance you are after really buddy...

As Zee says, the main probs are wheel corroding and stereo problems. Although my stereo is 3 and a half years old and has been excellent!...

Thanks kaz!

I test drove all three cars. I found the beemer to be quite comfortable and a very solid drive - just as good as the IS. The beemer lost out though because there was nothing in it from my perspective to make it stand head and shoulders above the IS and to justify it costing an extra 4 grand! I just didn't like the merc at all - for some reason, I imagined my age increased by 40 years when I started driving the merc. Very inhibited experience altogether.

I'm not looking for performance at all as my current car is an absolute beast and it will now become my track day car as every day wear and tear is too much on it. I like the grunt off the IS200 although it does feel quite sluggish - i.e. it could do with an extra 50bhp or something like that? As said though, it's by no means a point of failure for me as performance is a non-issue for this purchase.

To be honest, if wheel corrosion and some dodgy stereo's are the worst problems that people can think of about a car, then it really does speak volumes about what a truely top-quality car it is.

Many thanks for all comments and thoughts - you've all helped to afirm my hopes that the IS200 actually is as good as I thought it was B)

Cheers

Keith.

More grunt? Why not try an IS300? Fantastic 3L engine but same shape as the 200.

IS engine does have to be hard worked and revs kept up but it can motor along nicely!!

Maybe think about an after market Exhaust, induction kit and you would notice some difference both sound and pick up. I myself have just fitted a Kazama zaust from Prolex and love the gurgle she makes :D

I know about adding various bits and pieces to beef her up. The company I use to buy performance parts for my DC5 also stock stuff for Alteeza's and one of my friends has a nicely tuned one.

The IS300 is not an option because our road tax over here is insane. Tax for the year on an IS200 is 537 euro. On an IS300 is is over 1000 euro :(

Also our NCT (our version of your MOT) has a new fail point from next year that aftermarket exhausts that exceed acceptable noise in dB's will be a fail point.

So it'll be a stock IS200 and I'm looking forward very much to owning one having read how happy people are with theirs.

Cheers

K.