Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Or Toyota

chriso

If the IS200 had been a Toyota, would you still have bought it?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. If the IS200 had been a Toyota, would you still have bought it?

• Yes
    • No

In the discussions about the new IS250 there has been a lot of talk about the IS200 "not being a proper Lexus, just a Toyota with a badge stuck on".

Personally speaking, having owned an utterly reliable Toyota for years, the fact it was a Toyota is what attracted me to the car.

Would you have bought a Toyota IS200?

(obviously we know the answer from you Altezza guys.... :D)

I've fancied a Lexus for years, because (a) it's posh, and (b) it's Toyota. If it's not a Toyota Motor Corporation vehicle, I'm not particularly interested in it.

If it was a Toyota Aristo, and there was no such brand as Lexus, then yeah, I'd have gone for it.

i disagree that its not a proper lexus. Personally, I think the IS200 is more of a lexus than the ES300.

To compare, the Lexus IS200 and Toyota Tezza are 2 totally different beasts..... it may look the same from the surface.. but thats where it ends. REALLY!

Its a totally different car ..... the IS is extremely quiet and smooth. ALL my tezza club members tell me this everytime. There is no comparison. The build quality is great (typical lexus), and the cool interior (2 tone/suede "looking" electric seats) are great. The auto box is solid.

Of course, there are downsides .. like the bit about performance (im hoping the SC kit can solve that :-)) ...... but that would be the same regardless what brand u buy ... ie if u buy a mercedes E240 (this is available in asian countries) ... the new(ish) model (in MIB2) .... its performance is about the same as my IS (if not worse). I dont think anyone would doubt that the E class is not a proper merc ... rite?

Just my 2 cents. I think the Toyota Tezza is a great car. I think my IS200 is a great car too.

Back to the question ... did I buy it for the badge or for the car ..... the simple answer is BOTH. I bought it cos of its lexus badge, and also cos the car is smooth as ice .... and looks great!

i disagree that its not a proper lexus. Personally, I think the IS200 is more of a lexus than the ES300.

To compare, the Lexus IS200 and Toyota Tezza are 2 totally different beasts..... it may look the same from the surface.. but thats where it ends. REALLY!

Its a totally different car ..... the IS is extremely quiet and smooth. ALL my tezza club members tell me this everytime. There is no comparison. The build quality is great (typical lexus), and the cool interior (2 tone/suede "looking" electric seats) are great. The auto box is solid.

Of course, there are downsides .. like the bit about performance (im hoping the SC kit can solve that :-)) ...... but that would be the same regardless what brand u buy ... ie if u buy a mercedes E240 (this is available in asian countries) ... the new(ish) model (in MIB2) .... its performance is about the same as my IS (if not worse). I dont think anyone would doubt that the E class is not a proper merc ... rite?

Just my 2 cents. I think the Toyota Tezza is a great car. I think my IS200 is a great car too.

Back to the question ... did I buy it for the badge or for the car ..... the simple answer is BOTH. I bought it cos of its lexus badge, and also cos the car is smooth as ice .... and looks great!

I bought the car for the car, its conforting to know that its fundamentally a Toyota, but the Lexus badge is the icing on the cake IMO

If I'm honest I doubt I would have paid £22k if it had a Toyota badge on it.... or would I..... hmm I dunno

The Aristo's got a Toyota badge on the back, and the wheel center caps are Toyota, but on the Grille there's the Lexus badge (changing it soon to Toyota). I think that says it all, reason I bought it was because of Toyota being the "parent company" and well anything that's from either Honda, Toyota or Nissan says to me reliability will definitely be there.

Mostly bought it cos of how rare GS300's/GS430's are and even still the Aristo's are even rarer. Still not seen another one on the road yet. Also comfort and reliability were a top factor as well as performance and a sleeper. Not to mention the previous owner Syd is one very honest guy who's babied the car like no other, so taking all that into consideration...I'd do it all again if I was looking for a car.

I'd have bought the car anyway if it was Toyota :D

I have had 4 Toyotas and (in a momentary laspe) a Mitsubishi............. and never had any serious problems with any of them, there is no disputing Jap reliability

From the first glimpse I saw of the IS in 99 (at that stage I had the Carisma) I immediately thought to myself "I want one of those!"...... don't think I even knew who made it......... then I found out it was a LEXUS........ that just sealed it for me cos in summary you have

A) The unmistakeable looks

B) The reliability synonomous with Toyota

C) The Lexus prestige

Slam dunk!

At 22k possibly not, but as Ibought mine used at half that price then I think its a good deal regardless of badge.

As mentioned the badge was the icing on the cake! Although strictly speaking it is more like a Toyota than any other model Lexus have launched.

I loved the look of the car before I even knew who manufactered the car and despite my friends winding me up about the fact that Toyota is splashed all over the car, they love it and when I give them the honour of driving it, their like a dog with two tails! :D

I bought the IS because I liked how it looked, first time I saw one I thought that is what I want. Didn't even know what a Lexus was back then so would still have bought the car.

Also agree with Bernard's comments on the Altezza, defo rougher and less refined than the IS but a lot quicker :D

Difficult question to answer that!

At the end of the day it is a Toyota and the new IS250 is still a Toyota and people will always say that. Lexus or not the parent company is Toyota.

Mine was bought on value for money, spec and being different, I would have definitely bought it even if it was a Toyota, especially as I also looked at the Celica.

To answer the question where £22k justifies a Toyota IS200, well what about the Celica ST for £23k and the great Supra for £30k+ !

Funny thing is, Toyota dealers wont touch it with a barge pole as far as servicing goes, well my local ones anyway. Something to do with Insurance purposes.

Bet servicing would have been cheaper if it was branded Toyota though!

I don't think I bought the car because of badge. I always loved the looks - wouldn't have cared what badge was on it. Just like my Tezza now, don't care if it's a Toyota or Lexus - it looks the part and goes well... :)

Bought my 200 SE 6 years ago when they were new, purely for the way it drove and the spec. Badge was irrelevant. Also there were good reviews in the car mags. First car I actually had real fun driving. Provided an ideal transition from motorbikes!

Now got a 300 Sportcross, which solves the minor niggles I had with the SE, namely limited boot and tame engine (ex-biker).

Only other niggle was the snow performance, but hopefully I have some wheels winging their way to me for winter rubber, so that'll be me sorted. Good job, it's blizzarding outside!

I'm happy!

IanB :D

I would have brought the car if it had a Toyota badge. I still believe Toyota GB made a mistake by badging the IS and a Lexus. They could have taken 2k or 3k off the price and sold loads.

The IS never fitted in with the Lexus image in 1999 when it came out.

There are only a couple of Lexus badges on mine.... but it is virtually covered with the Toyota brand on every part. Fine with me, I was only looking at Mazda or Toyota at the time and this was just something different - and still what I was looking for ;)

I love the IS200 from when I 1st set my eyes on one

best looking 4 door in it's class IMO

the only reason I've got a tezza is for the extra 55 pony's under the bonnet :D :D

this was the cheapst way plus got a nice TRD body kit to

oh yeah and the sound it makes!!!!!!!!

smilie_cheesy1.jpg