Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

R.I.P = George Best!

MrADeveci

I'm way too young to have seen him play but he was said by Pele to be the greatest footballer ever!

I've seen a few highlights of his play (1968 European Cup Final) - what a player he was! :excl:

Shame things have ended for him this way..........RIP :crybaby:

I'm way too young to have seen him play but he was said by Pele to be the greatest footballer ever!

I've seen a few highlights of his play (1968 European Cup Final)  - what a player he was!  :excl:

Shame things have ended for him this way..........RIP  :crybaby:

Well, if you've seen those highlights (where he scores the only-winning-goal,) you'll have seen me, in glorious Black and white (no colour TV then!!!) as part of the Stretford end crowd leaping in the air to acknowledge his genius!!

I was at Art College in Manchester then, and often chatted to him outside his Boutique where my bus stop was in 'The Village'.

Apparently I told him to be thankful to be doing something he loved when most people did jobs because they HAD to, to live.

Years later, he told me he'd remembered that always!!!

Don't judge him by the scandal sheets! All the madness he was 24/7 surrounded with that I witnessed in those days would have turned ANYONE'S head. (And the girls could have turned MY head any time!!) His charisma has lasted for 34 years he HASN'T played!!

I've seen a lot of football and no one has been better than Best. You were on edge waiting for magic each time he got the ball. He'd take a throw-in, bounce it off an opponents shin to get it back himself....shimmy past somone..twice....

A Legend in a small select group.

Thanks George.

What a fantastic life he had.

As for his liver going elsewhere then you have to look at all the great charity fundraisers he did for other people.

He earned it.

He brought joy to 100,000s of people.

May he Rest In Peace.

The best player I ever saw...................During team talk Matt Busby used to send George out of the dressing room for a few minutes.Then told the other players to give the ball to George.

R.I.P.

i feel for his family.. BUT....... he was an ungrateful selfish man given a second chance and threw it away......

Yet i had to watch my old man die in hospital cause they wouldnt give him a heart transplant cause he smoked and as i found out, had a drink problem (due to his marriage going down the swanny)

rule for one and a rule for another......

i have no sympathy for his death but only for his family..

as was said before that liver he got could have given another person a real chance in life and not the booze companies more money..

let the peace be with his family now and let the awful press leave them to greave

I am staggered by the the deluge of ill informed critisism of George Bests Liver Transplant. I have cirrhosis of the Liver caused by excessive social drinking when I was younger and although I have been teetotal for over five years there is still a better than even money chance of further problems developing which will leave only transplantation as a possible treatment. The nationally agreed guidelines for acceptance into the transplantation programme are that patients should be accepted for transplantation only if they have an estimated probability of being alive 5 years after transplantation of at least 50% with a quality of life acceptable to the patient. Should the patient’s condition deteriorate whilst waiting for a liver so that these criteria are no longer met, the patient should be removed from the list. Other medical and social factors (such as alcohol or drug mis-use, age or antisocial life style) are not directly relevant other than whether they affected the above criteria; In other words it was felt that George had at least a half chance of a reasonable quality of life for five years following a transplant. A minimum period of abstinence from alcohol of 6 months is required and whilst you would not be offered a liver if you told the doctors that you intended to carry on drinking afterwards the fact is that nobody intends this. When you consider that he died of multiple organ failue triggered by a bacterial infection of the colon which spread and ultimately proved untreatable due to the immuno-supressant drugs he had to take and that he lived for almost three and a half years following transplant then his undoubtedly foolish lifestyle afterwards did not, in the end cause his death. Amost 20% of recipients die in the first year following transplant and this rises as each year passes. Only a Post Mortem will establish the damage, if any, to George Best's new liver and I await news of that with interest.

So, all of you who have never smoked, done drugs, driven a car too fast (or drunk), climbed mountains, worn shoes too tight for you, eaten too much, crossed the road, played sport, contacted VD, or in any way contributed to your own ill healh can look forward to being treated in empty wards with doctors and nurses fighting to take care of you. After all, if we don't treat those whose lifestyle is a little dodgy then that's what will happen.

I remember reading once that he never tried to blame anyone else for his problems...admitting it was all his fault.

If youngsters today took the same attitude rather than blaming others then modern Britain would be a better place in which to live.

Aside from that he was a great footballer............pity he didnt play for West Ham !

Well said Kent

I remember reading once that he never tried to blame anyone else for his problems...admitting it was all his fault.

If youngsters today took the same attitude rather than blaming others then modern Britain would be a better place in which to live.

Aside from that he was a great footballer............pity he didnt play for West Ham !

I agree with both. He said that he lived his life the way he wanted, if any body had a problem with it then its their problem not his; I say fair play. The doctors cured his liver problem NOT his alcoholism.The amount of money he gave and raised for charity more than makes up for "His wasted Liver".

He was one of the best, if not the best footballer in the world. What he did off the pitch in time will be forgotten and he'll be remembered for what he was....

One of the best footballer's in the world EVER.

Pity he never played for Liverpool as they were / are more succesfull.

:offtopic: Sir Matt Busby used to play for Liverpool = FACT - more facts but

another thread

Rest In Peace Georgie.......Thanks for the entertainment..You'll never be forgotten :crybaby:

And you'll never walk alone :winky: