Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After picking up the car, filled up with Super Unleaded, settled into an easy 65mph drive on the M4 with cruise control set.

Filled up at other end (just wanted to see what it was like), and found I'd got 42mpg. I had to recalculate 3 times to make sure.

Maybe the lowered Sport suspension makes the car have less drag at speed?

Absolutely shocked, but in a good way!

Hope your right Maneesh, the most I got out of mine is 36MPG, your not far wrong Steve, BUT I was driving carefully with no heavy braking, but was boring as well, will stick to the 29MPG with playing with the TT's as well,

Glad your happy with your NEW GS Maneesh.

Happy Motoring :D

Hope your right Maneesh, the most I got out of mine is 36MPG, your not far wrong Steve, BUT I was driving carefully with no heavy braking, but was boring as well, will stick to the 29MPG with playing with the TT's as well,

Glad your happy with your NEW GS Maneesh.

Happy Motoring :D

Cruise control saves about 10-15% on fuel consumption, plus it was super unleaded which is supposed to give you an extra 1-2 mpg.

I got 32mpg on my 170,000 mile LS400 at a steady 70mph with cruise control. With cruise control set, you have less of the minor fluctuations in throttle input that you would when pressing the gas pedal with your foot.

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmm - can see a little experiment happening here me thinks, do a fair bit of motorway driving, will have to take some notes during the next couple of re-fills.

I remember when cruise control first came, they use to surge when keeping a constant speed, but this was on an old ford serria (2.3 version) though.

Will post up some results when I've done this

Cruise control saves about 10-15% on fuel consumption, plus it was super unleaded which is supposed to give you an extra 1-2 mpg.

I dont think CC saves fuel - as it constantly feed fuel into the engine.

its a comfort / driver aid feature - not an ecomony feature.

I'll bet you would get better mileage with a gentle and careful right foot than you would with CC

I dont think CC saves fuel - as it constantly feed fuel into the engine.

its a comfort / driver aid feature - not an ecomony feature.

I'll bet you would get better mileage with a gentle and careful right foot than you would with CC

I beg to differ dude..In my experience of cruise control, it has always resulted in better fuel economy, even the Dutch Government thinks so too! See the links

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...39/ai_108875681

http://www.cleanairwisconsin.org/ecodriving.php (scroll down to cruise control)

A Land Rover Discovery in the US even got 14% better economy at 70mph with Cruise!

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/01/Autos/tips...as_saving_test/

CC works best on flat roads, better to use right foot when driving on hilly roads/inclines.

I think your calculations are wrong, you won't get that mpg from a GS and certainly not a sport with it's wider and heavier wheels/tyres.

There aren't too many places in the UK that are flat so what the Dutch government found isn't really relevant. Also some CC don't maintain the set speed 100% so it slows a little on a hill which aids economy, however the Toyota system always stays within 0.5 mph and when it does use the throttle is does it harder than a driver may choose to.

I've tested this a few times on my old GS300 and my GS430 and I can get better economy by not using the CC.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like my figures must have been wrong. Been doing about 50% town driving and 50% country lanes at 40mph average. First tank got me 18mpg. With second tank, keeping the ect switch off, and keeping revs below 2,000rpm has LED to an increase to 19.5mpg. Oh, I usually have the climate control on too. Damn, it's a thirsty for a 3 litre!

After picking up the car, filled up with Super Unleaded, settled into an easy 65mph drive on the M4 with cruise control set.

Filled up at other end (just wanted to see what it was like), and found I'd got 42mpg. I had to recalculate 3 times to make sure.

Maybe the lowered Sport suspension makes the car have less drag at speed?

Absolutely shocked, but in a good way!

Which Car are we talking about GS430 or GS300?. My GS300SE gave at best 34MPG, averaged over the 4K I had it this year 27.6MPG :unsure: and I live in the sticks!! :tsktsk:

19.5MPG :angry:

Thats more like it, horrendous eh, I got shot of mine, not enough go for the buck! :yack:

The laugh is I had the stealer in Norfolk on the phone to me today offering me a new LS430 saying it will average 25/27MPG locally :shutit:

Needly to say............................ :nuke:

the new LS has a 6 speed transmission which helps but it has always been more aerodynamic. On paper the LS is worse than the GS300 but owners seem to report about the same mpg. Maybe LS drivers are just more gentle on the throttle?

I have seen the new LS on the Tokoyo motor show review, I do fancy one.

Must have a test drive new year. It will have a 4.6V8. :)