Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bluetooth Issues

Hi All,

I had mentioned the other day that I was perfectly happy with my new RX400h with the exception of the Bluetooth system which doesn't seem to work with any of my phones despite them being on the list. This problem is now being investigated by TMTI, but their first impression is that it's a software fault on the car.

Anyway, for information, here are the results of the tests with three phones (one phone with two different firmware versions) which have been provided to TMTI to investigate. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most grateful.

I have tried this with three different phones:

Nokia 6680 3G (firmware version 4.03.27 (02/2005) ):

Initial pairing works. Initial connection after pairing will connect, but then immediately disconnects. Upon attempting to reconnect, it fails. It will only reconnect if the pairing is deleted on both the Lexus system and the telephone, and repaired. However, it just does exactly the same thing again – pairs, connects, then dies. Telephone detects the Lexus as a “Handsfree car kit”.

Upgraded the 6680 3G to latest firmware (version 4.04.07 (8/2005) ):

With the newest firmware version, the phone and lexus will not even pair at all. They see each other, but will not pair. Attempting to establish the pair results in a timeout -- the phone does ask for the security code set in the Lexus system, but it times out after entering it.

Nokia 8910:

Phone will pair with the Lexus. Connection is made, but ANY telephone function (including attempting to make or receive a call) causes a disconnection. It will reconnect after turning off the ignition of the vehicle and turning it back on again (effectively “rebooting” the car), but again any telephone function disconnects and fails to reconnect without “rebooting” the car. Telephone detects the car as a “Headset” (as opposed to a “handsfree car kit”).

Nokia 6310i:

Phone will pair and connect. Connection is stable, but in-car phone functions do not work. Button on steering wheel has no effect on the telephone (shows on the screen with "Check Bluetooth Phone"). Voice is not redirected through the system, and the lexus system does not even detect a call being made or received. Attempting to dial a number from the screen of the Lexus results in “Check Bluetooth phone”. The telephone detects the Lexus as a “Handsfree Car Kit” (as opposed to a headset or other Bluetooth device). Despite this, the phone IS able to transfer contacts from the phonebook to the Lexus.

I have a “cheap and nasty” [generic] Opticom Bluetooth Handsfree unit, which looks a little like one of those plantronics conference spiderphones, but in miniature, as well as another generic one which just sticks into the cigar lighter socket as a whole unit, and these both operates perfectly with all three handsets, including transferring the phonebook on the Opticom one (the generic one doesn't have phonebook options).

I find it rather odd that all three work with the Opticom unit and the generic (even cheaper and nastier one), but none will work with the Lexus at all, despite being on the compatibility listing. Ideally, I would rather it work with the 6680 3G since that is my primary phone.

Just a thought ............ have you got the phone "paired" settings ........ so that it does not require an authorisation to connect ................. let it auto connect?

Yes..but you can only get to that stage if they pair initially in the first place. Once paired, you can flag it as "authorised". It's the pairing in the first place which is the problem on the latest version of the firmware on the 6680, and they pair fine as "authorised" o the other three scenarios.. just the connection disconnects.

L.

Can't give you any advice on those but can confirm: Sony Ericsson T630/610 works fine, can download the whole phone book no problem. Motorola V50 works fine but can only transfer phone book one at a time. Blackberry V7100 works as a phone but you can't download any phone book entries due to security paranoia. And once the security timeout lock kicks in on the blackberry, then you can only call by entering the password on the phone which is a major bugbear....

6310i/8900 - these handsets are way too old and have too many Bluetooth bugs. I would not use these for testing.

6680 - although this is a new handset, sorry to say that this one too is known to have a number of issues. I am not sure about it's Bluetooth stability but I know it has lots of memory issues.

Also, bear in mind that most of the Nokias have issues transferring your complete phonebook, you have to transfer one-by-one.

You should borrow one of the recent Sony (V600, K600, V800, K750) and see if you get any issues. I am near certain that it could just be the phones you have.

I've tried it this evening with a friend's Sony/Ericsson T630 and it has exactly the same result as the Nokia 6310i. (i.e. will pair, will connect, but still doesn't use the in-car system for calls).

:tsktsk:

L.

Just flitting in here as an ex RX300 owner and now owner of an SC430 - in reply to an earlier post - the K750 is a total dud I'm afraid - at least with the SC it is. I can transfer okay but the phone or car keeps dropping the connection. I have to think it is a Lexus problem frankly and they just can't work it out.

Well.. I've now tried with all of the following:

Nokia 6680 (THREE different firmware versions)

Nokia 8910

Nokia 8910i

Nokia 6310i

Nokia 3230

Sony/Ericsson T630

Sony/Ericsson T610

Sony/Ericsson K750

Sony/Ericsson P910

Motorolla A780

My Lexus doesn't work with ANY of them... TMTI are looking at possible ways of upgrading the software in the vehicle.. apparently there is a chap at Lexus GB qualified to do so, and they're waiting on responses from Lexus GB on this.

:tsktsk:

Leland

Update...

Went to the original dealer and we tested my phones with my vehicle as well as several other vehicles. The fault is with my particular vehicle, and I have been invited to make an appointment for the vehicle to go to the dealer for a day to check/repair the system. The phones all fired up first time with no problems on another 400h and an RX300 they had sitting there. Managed to get my phones to actually pair up with my vehicle, but it was not stable, and didn't pair up every time, pointing to an intermittent fault.

Now just gotta make that appointment...

L.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update...

My RX was booked in to have the Bluetooth system looked at/repaired on the 19th... you can see from the previous posts that from the day that I got the RX400h there were several Bluetooth "issues" with every phone I tried... My main phone being the Nokia 6680 3G smartphone...

Well.. 'lo and behold, got into the car at 6.30 this morning for my drive up to Birmingham, and was shocked to see "Bluetooth connection complete" on the screen less than five seconds after starting the ignition/hybrid system. Remember that it had a problem first with pairing and then after I finally managed to get it paired, that the connection itself was very flakey, and certainly could not be established automatically from the car to the phone.. had to initiate the connection from the phone itself and then it would only work maybe one in five times.

Well.. this morning I was shocked that it worked immediately with the car establishing the connection to the phone automatically. Just to make sure I wasn't dreaming, I shut everything down and tried it again.. worked again.

Shut down again when I stopped at Northampton services on the M1 for a coffee, startup up again, and it connected immediately automatically. Just for good measure, I decided to try transferring the phone book to the car. That also worked fine.

All day, every single time it worked perfectly.

Does this mean that the gremlins which it seems Lexus added into the included options list have decided to go pick on someone else (hopefully with the new IS250 ;) ) instead ?!?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeird

Leland

(Happy Camper now, but still perplexed as to why it's all of a sudden working perfectly...)

You will find perhaps that the software is now upgraded - I say this because my original paring was under the name of "Handsfree" and now under "Bluetooth handsfree". Care to check ?

Kinda hard for the car to upgrade the software by itself... unless someone from Lexus came out in the middle of the night, broke into the car and upgraded it that way ;)

The name of the pairing is configurable from the telephone settings menu...

Handsfree

Bluetooth Handsfree

Integrated Handsfree

and something else which I can't remember off the top of my head.

I've been using the name "Integrated Handsfree" from the day I got the car.

Still.. it's been working perfectly all day today as well.. must have been a bunch of gremlins who decided to :tsktsk: off and find another car to mess up :)

Leland

You will find perhaps that the software is now upgraded - I say this because my original paring was under the name of "Handsfree" and now under "Bluetooth handsfree". Care to check ?

Kinda hard for the car to upgrade the software by itself... unless someone from Lexus came out in the middle of the night, broke into the car and upgraded it that way ;)

The name of the pairing is configurable from the telephone settings menu...

Handsfree

Bluetooth Handsfree

Integrated Handsfree

and something else which I can't remember off the top of my head.

I've been using the name "Integrated Handsfree" from the day I got the car.

Still.. it's been working perfectly all day today as well.. must have been a bunch of gremlins who decided to :tsktsk: off and find another car to mess up :)

Leland

Very clever, still laughing !? anyway, my car has been to the dealership and been upgraded. That has also resulted in the identifier being changed. Drove a brand new GS last week and that had the same identifier as what mine now has after the upgrade - just putting 2 and 2 together. No changes carried out by me.

Not laughing.. just that when I took it back to the dealer I was with the guy the whole time testing various phones. They didn't actually do anything else and certainly didn't upgrade any software. Plus, that visit to the dealer was over a week and a half ago, which would not explain why my system would suddenly start working by itself on Thursday morning at 6am when it didn't work before or even after the visit back to the dealer...

The Bluetooth name identifier is, however, configurable.

I'm still perplexed as to why it's working now and didn't work before when nothing has been done to either the car or the phones in the interim time... very weird.

L.

Not laughing.. just that when I took it back to the dealer I was with the guy the whole time testing various phones.  They didn't actually do anything else and certainly didn't upgrade any software.  Plus, that visit to the dealer was over a week and a half ago, which would not explain why my system would suddenly start working by itself on Thursday morning at 6am when it didn't work before or even after the visit back to the dealer...

The bluetooth name identifier is, however, configurable.

I'm still perplexed as to why it's working now and didn't work before when nothing has been done to either the car or the phones in the interim time... very weird.

L.

Interesting - I had my RX in for some warranty work to be done on it. Bluetooth related issues were on the list - conectivity, compatibility and sound quality/volume. Now I seem to have stable connections with a 6310i, V3 and HP H6365 PDA and sound quality is good with scope to increase volume without distortion.

Good yours is working and hope it stays that way - in traditional terms it sounds line a loose connection (!) problem.

Tony

6680 - although this is a new handset, sorry to say that this one too is known to have a number of issues. I am not sure about it's bluetooth stability but I know it has lots of memory issues.

Also, bear in mind that most of the Nokias have issues transferring your complete phonebook, you have to transfer one-by-one.

6680 should work. I have used a few with no problems.

The newer Nokia handsets are now including the fucntionality to allow transfer of your entire phone book. Used my N90 the other day and worked a treat.

br

D