Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I'm having problems checking my autobox oil level.

I ran the car for 20 mins, parked the car, ran through the gears P to L and back to P again Ran to the fron of the car and pulled out the dipstick which read dead on the H level.

I then wiped the dipstick and took another reading and this time is was about a 0.75cm above the H level.

Would anyone know which reading is the right one????

Just one more silly question, how can I detect when my auto is slipping.

Any tips gratefully received.

Thanks

Your doing the correct prep for getting the correct readings, not sure which model your is but normally you'll need to remove the dip-stick, clean and place back again, wait for a 10 secs and then remove, clean and re-check, on this one you'll get the correct measurements. The reason you do this a few times is to let the oil level settle after circulating and also to remove any oil residue on the stick, the residue will lead to an incorrect measurement.

One sure way of detection of the pads slipping is during gear change, you'll get either 1 of 2 symtoms - either the car will lurche forward during change of gears or you'll have a slight vibration during the change. This is down to the friction pads slipping while the solnoids engage to change the gears. Not really noticable during kick-down or when O/D is used but mainly during the first to second and second to third.

You can check if the box is slipping when you check the level, you can detect a hint of burning if you put some of the oil onto your fingers, also the colour could be a give away - brownish in colour rather than a nice redish colour.

Hope this helps

BR

Paul

The reason you do this a few times is to let the oil level settle after circulating and also to remove any oil residue on the stick, the residue will lead to an incorrect measurement.

The fluid will always be circulating, the engine should be running when you check the level.

A little too much oil shouldn't do any harm, the trans must have a breather and will vent it if needed ( common fault on Cosworth Scorpio's ).

Auto transmissions work by hydraulic pressure applying clutch packs. The ratio's are achieved by epicyclic gear sets. Slipping can be caused by low pressure ,worn seals and or worn clutch plates.

There is a breather seal, but not always a good idea to relay on this breather seal to vent excess oil.

With worn seals, you'll also feel problems with the G/B with moving from "P" through the gears and back again while keeping your foot on the brake and not moving the car, if you have the door open, you'll here a clonking noise.

With Low Pressure, I think the tell tale signs are a burning smell when you remove the dip stick for inspection of the level, there may be other signs but not sure which they are.

But you're right 88b, all these things can cause problems

The fluid will always be circulating, the engine should be running when you check the level.

You know what I mean Colin, :P , the oil would have a chance to settle enough to give a more accurate reading.

Thank you all for your advice.

I removed some oil form the G/B and re-checked the level.

I used the same method P to L and back to P again and left the engine running. Quickly, popped the hood and checked the levels.

Removed dipstick and looked at first reading which showed it was dead on the H level.

Cleaned the dipstick and checked again and it showed just above the L level.

one minute later checked again an it was the same ..just above L level, noting that it was in P and the engine was running.

I presume the last two reading are the ones to read.

In relation the G/B. I resett the G/B memory to ensure the G/B used my driving style. But I have very gentle with the car and as such the changes are a little more jerky. But this could be due to the fact that I bought the car about a month agao and it's my first auto,co it could be that I'm noticing the changes more than I did.

I think I'll reset the G/B settings again and be a little less gentle.

Many thanks

• 2 years later...