Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlights Staying On

Just spoke to Lexus and they say a new relay is......wait for it........£52.38!!! How much!! for a relay - you have to be joking!!

/quote]

That's about the right price, I bought a headlamp relay from Lexus for £55 two years ago. In my case, the relay was deffo the culprit, as I hadn't had my windscreen replaced.

See if you can get a headlamp relay from a local motor factors cheaper?

yeah was thinking about that, or if its the fuse/relay board by driver feet the maybe getting one from an online salvage company?

I really don't tthink its the relay, as put it back in tonight to drive home, and all was well. Even when turned it all off when got home, lights remained off. Took relay back out again, just incase later on tonight it plays up.

Will have to try to see where water might have got in etc and .. well .. dunno really. Wait and see. :-(

I took mine to Lexus Reading and one of the workshop staff had seen the problem before - he just had to clean the contacts on one of the plugs connecting to the fuse box in the driver's side foot well - I think it was the middle one (of five). Touch wood the problem has gone away!

If you can turn the lights on and off when the ignition is on, it means the relay is working fine and doesn't need replacing.

Andy

Hi everyone

I have been having the same problem, i recently had a new windscreen replaced by Autoglass once i had read the forum i took it back to Autoglass to get them to re-seal the windscreen. Since then i have still had the problem and after a lot of studying and messing about i think i have solved it. I took the drivers side kick panel out and took the plug out that runs the instrument panel (2nd up from bottom on the left). I noticed that the connector was green, i have sprayed some contact cleaner on the plug and the FLSH relay that sits behind the connector and it seems to have cured the problem.

I will let you know if it happens again. If any one needs any pics or wiring diagrams then PM me.

Has anyone checked to see if there is a voltage going to the coil contacts of the relay when the ign is off?

If it is, then it is before the relay and not the relay itself... that's only switching 12v into the light circuit.

If there is no voltage at the coil then it is a sticky relay. Lexus dealer can check this easily.

I had a look over the weekend and had some water in 3 of the connectors. All on the left hand side, one grey and the other 2 white I think.

Gonna give autoglass a call and get them to sort it. Wish I had used RAC now!

Anyway, thanks to Kevin and Ben at ABM for the techie help too, greatly appreciated.

Got the same/similar problem here! IS200 Sport - 2001.

Parked the car yesterday, only to be told later I'd left the lights on... you all know the rest ;)

My light relay was making a hell of a noise, so replaced that today in the hope. But no, problem still persists and I'm £60 down already (Lexus Poole).

With the ignition ON, and lights turned on - they work OK and the relay (old or new) is quiet and normal. If I select "Auto" the lights just dim up and down, and after a few seconds the relay starts buzzing away. Same if I select "Off" too!

With the ignision OFF, it doesn't matter what I select for the lights - they come on after 2-10 seconds.

So at the moment I have the relay out, to ensure the lights stay off.

I haven't had the windscreen replaced. There is no water in the fuse/relay box, bone dry and clean in there. Haven't checked the one in the drivers footwell yet though ???

Will check there tonight, but having spend out on 4 new tyres this week and I dont fancy a new fusebox too! Doh!

Check the drivers on, I can guarantee it will be in there. If you could look face on the board in the footwell, then its most likely to be the connectors on the left hand side. I think theres one grey one (harness comes from the RHS) and above that, 2 white (?) (harness from above LHS).

There might not be that much water in there, but it should feel wet.

With mine, AutoGlass have checked the windscreen and water tested it and say its fine, so dunno where mine is coming from. I seem to have more condensation than normal too.

Hi all I still have this same problem, have not had the time to try re sealing the windscreen under the scuttle plate after all its been a bit to wet to do anything, for now i find if i dont use the auto feature at all its working fine no neighbours knocking to say lights are on....

if weather holds out i will be removing scuttle plate and re-sealing this weekend. i had my windscreen done at RAC in september they claim it was done to a high standard at the dippy girl on the phone wouldnt even entertain the idea of having the car back to check, not impressed :crybaby:

However i do have the same problem wth way to much condensation in the car wasnt there before the windscreen was replaced but is there now :unsure:

i think its time for a few SIlica packs ubder the dash area to absorbe the dampness

If we get a solution i think we should sell it to the windscreen compnaies after all they cant do it right in the 1st place

Silica packs - good idea - wheres my old trainer box!!!!

I doubt it would be the bit under the scuttle plate as water doesn't usually up hill!! i.e. the bottom of the glass and the seal is below the body work - so that the glue can seal against something!!! :-)

Still, you never know.

Some one mentioned it in an earlier post about this problem, and it cured them its where the wires goin in from the heater elements on the drivers side it creates as short apparently the companies dont seal around that point correctly and that bit is under the scuttle plate, but there is only one way to find out lol

i ahve loads of silica packs i might have to stick them on eBay

Is200 condensation fix

Quick And easy to install rectifies condensation over night

any ideas guys lol lol

ummm, autoglass told me that there is a connector that comes from under there, and when they fit new screen, they just inplug the old one and plug the new one in, sounded like they didn;t have to seal around it! But then I guess the wire would go to the back of the glass, so maybe.

Would be interested to see what you see when you look at yours.

Will take some pictures when i have the scuttle plate up and try the old water test im sure i will have the hose out as well

Fingers crossed this is the problem im getting fed up with having to turn the lights on and off my self that what the auto bit is for lol

OK, cheers that would be good.

Ha ha, never use it myself - am a "manual man". Though I got fed up of having to take the headlamp relay out etc - when dark and raining, tis a pain to get back in!!

dont get me wrong i have had many cars where you turn the lights on and off your self but lexus is a luxury model and it has this auto feature that i cant even use lol

yeah taking the relay out in the rain isnt fun i ws doin that but for some reason i dont have to i mean i did at 1st but now it seems ok strange hey

Mine seems OK with it back in (fingers crossed), but I have dried my connectors out with hair dryer.

Bizarre! Put mine back in after work tonight, so I could have the luxury of lights on the way home - and since parking it on the drive 3 hours ago, lights remain off. Mmm.. All I did last night was poke around the fuses for any sign of wet, didn't actually find any.

Hi Guy's,

Thought I would post and thank you all for this thread. YES!!! I too am joining the 'head lights that don't switch off' club. Going out now with my wifes hair dryer to see if I can find where the water is that's could be causing the problem. I only get the problem when the rain is heavy so all your posts make sence that water ingress is the problem.

Oh! Yes, I too have have a new windscreen. Bugger!

Will let you know if I find a solution.

Cheers

JaySea

Got the same/similar problem here! IS200 Sport - 2001.

Parked the car yesterday, only to be told later I'd left the lights on... you all know the rest ;)

My light relay was making a hell of a noise, so replaced that today in the hope. But no, problem still persists and I'm £60 down already (Lexus Poole).

With the ignition ON, and lights turned on - they work OK and the relay (old or new) is quiet and normal. If I select "Auto" the lights just dim up and down, and after a few seconds the relay starts buzzing away. Same if I select "Off" too!

With the ignision OFF, it doesn't matter what I select for the lights - they come on after 2-10 seconds.

So at the moment I have the relay out, to ensure the lights stay off.

I haven't had the windscreen replaced. There is no water in the fuse/relay box, bone dry and clean in there. Haven't checked the one in the drivers footwell yet though ???

Will check there tonight, but having spend out on 4 new tyres this week and I dont fancy a new fusebox too! Doh!

hi all, the problem is defo in the drivers side board a couple of my conectors were also wet and green and after cleaning and drying , fingers crossed fixed! just going too seal round the bulk head as i dont want this prob again!

where around the bulk head though - where the harness comes through the main grommet??

hi i could only see were the main loom goes throgh the grommet ive had scuttle off and could not see any other way in so ive sealed it all the way round with tigar seal and sprayed the inside with white spray greece fingers crossed ive got the right way the water goes in, if anybody knows please let me know!

• 6 months later...

blimey!!!!!

just been reading my old posts on this headlight staying on after car is off issue.

first time ive read this topic in like 2 and a half years .

wish i knew back then what i've read in this topic about this problem....coz it would have saved me £600 pounds at lex manchester!!!!! RIP OFF B*****DS!!!

blimey!!!!!

just been reading my old posts on this headlight staying on after car is off issue.

wish i knew back then what i've read in this topic about this problem....coz it would have saved me £600 pounds at lex manchester!!!!! RIP OFF B*****DS!!!

ive had this problem twice now and got it sorted,its come back again now but the garage im usings having it back next week had a new fuseboard and alarm/light ecu, how did you sort yours?

blimey!!!!!

ive had this problem twice now and got it sorted,its come back again now but the garage im usings having it back next week had a new fuseboard and alarm/light ecu, how did you sort yours?

lex manchester sorted it...just like what u said a new fuseboard and something to do with alarm...and cost 600!!!!but been fine since then and it's been like 2 anda half years now.

• 3 months later...