Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fifth Gear Is220d Review

saracen

Just seen the review of the IS220d on Fifth Gear and OMG it was completely positive.

The reviewer, Tom Ford, said the car was comfortable, nice bit of wood on the dash, incredibly gadgety, loved the Sat Nav, the seat, steering wheel feel, and the amazing stereo.

To quote the reviewer, you wouldn't buy the car to be edgy. If you have to cover 30K miles a year you don't want a car that only satisfies you 10% of the time, you want a car that really does isolate you and makes you feel comfortable 90% of the time. It is a much better compromise for people like him (and me!) who are not racing car drivers.

To summarise he said the BMW was the faster car but he found talking about all that speed a little vulgar, the IS was the Gentlemans choice.

The car in Argento Ice (silver) with black leather looked phenomenal.

I'm gonna see if I can bring my order forward!

It's repeated on 29/11

MOTORING:  Fifth Gear

Channel: five 05

Date: Tuesday 29th November 2005

Time: 23:55 to 00:55 (starting in 1 day)

Duration: 1 hour.

Another chance to see this week's episode of the motoring magazine presented by Tiff Needell, Vicki Butler-Henderson, Jason Plato and Jon Bentley.

(Stereo, Repeat, Subtitles)

I saw that too and was impressed that a journalist could look past just pure driveability, and take other factors into account. I loved the fact that he said the 3 was a better drive, but the lex was better in every other way :lol:

Seems Lexus may have got this one absolutely spot on, now all they need is a fire-breathing M3 killer :P

I saw that too and was impressed that a journalist could look past just pure driveability, and take other factors into account. I loved the fact that he said the 3 was a better drive, but the lex was better in every other way  :lol:

Seems Lexus may have got this one absolutely spot on, now all they need is a fire-breathing M3 killer  :P

Damn missed it ! Oh, wait.. it's on tonight at midnight! :)

holy lexus batman, a car journalist who actually does a proper car review!!

i`m beginning to rate this Tom Ford bloke as he comes out with proper ownership comments, and his reference to the 90%/10% driving was spot on. His other car reviews eg, flying spur, Rx etc have also been good...they tend to give you a better feel for the car rather than just quick Maxpower insight.

Think he summed up all the qualities in the lexus is250 i found, but it would have been nice to give him some more time in his review slot!

BTW, my love for VBH is unchanged, and she seems to be losing some weight... :blush::flowers: :heart: :wub:

Obviously, we are all biased here :D , but if we are really taking into account the full ownership experience then I have to admit I am disappointed with the new IS.

Some of us current IS owners have families and need a smidgen of practicality. So when I had a good look at an IS250 at MPH05 in London a couple of weeks ago I was disappointed at the limited amount of room in the back. Also the boot is smaller than the old car.

These are both areas which are important to me in terms of the ownership and which I was hoping the new car would improve on.

In both areas the BMW appears to be significantly better. (Don't worry, I would never buy such a pig-ugly :tsktsk: )

Some of us current IS owners have families and need a smidgen of practicality. So when I had a good look at an IS250 at MPH05 in London a couple of weeks ago I was disappointed at the limited amount of room in the back. Also the boot is smaller than the old car.

Haven't had the chance to see one yet, but I thought the new IS had a bigger boot as well as a more useable space

Small boot! Well I love my sportcross, and maybe they'll make a sportcross or estate version one day........?

Same here, I wouldn't consider changing mine for the new one unless they make a hatchback. They have until next November, when mine will be 3 years old.

Only rep's cars have boots, so they have somewhere to lock their chocolate samples and leaflets.... :D

Lexus recently lent me a GS300 while mine was in for service. A small black cavern at the back, no capacity and not even drop down seats...