Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quality Of Am Stations

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a RX 300 SE Navigator, my first lexus. love it!!

I have found that the quality of AM reception is not as good as the FM stations. I always have to increase the volume, also seem to get some distortion.

Has anyone else noticed this.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Manoj

It's the nature of the transmission used for AM stations.

AM is Amplitude Modulated, i.e. the information (audio sound) sent over the radio is represented by changing (modulating) the amplitude (or "volume") of the radio signal. So when you get a bit where the radio signal is weak, your audio will be quiet, and sometimes when you get a bit where the radio signal is extra strong (this can happen for example where you recieve the original radio signal and a reflection of a building (for example) of the radio signal, then the audio will be very loud..... hence the distortion...

With Frequency Modulated (FM), the information is where the frequency is changed to represent the audio signal, this is why variations in the radio signal strength does not effect the quality of the signal (within some bounds).

There is often a small adjustment at teh rear of most radios to "trim" the antenna to allow for optimal adjustment and therefore better AM reception. I have not noticed this on my IS, but there again, I dont do AM (apart from the footie), so have not realy looked.

Hope that helps :)

I have to say - I`ve had my RX400 for 3 months now and the most disappointing aspect is the rather `naff` sound that comes from the speakers.

It is far better on many more `inferior` and cheaper cars.

Apart from that - I love it.

Gazman :zee:

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a RX 300 SE Navigator, my first lexus. love it!!

I have found that the quality of AM reception is not as good as the FM stations. I always  have to increase the volume, also seem to get some distortion.

Has anyone else noticed this.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Manoj

Get nothing of the sort on the sel - may be it is due to the mark levinson sytem in lieu of the Lexus standard fit - This may sound absurd but adjust the treble/bass settings to your liking and FM/AM will sound just about as good as CD.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Stereo definitely not up to the standard you'd expect for the money. I've heard the one in the SE-L and it is much better than in my SE....pity they don't offer that as an upgrade option on all models, it is one that I would have gone for...