Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Printer Servers

Steve

For the techy minded.

I have 3 pc's (2 on lan and 1 on wireless) and I want then all to be able to use my printer. The printer is a USB Brother Laser.

What printer server should i get that will work with a USB printer?

Also would a wireless printer server be any good?

cheers

I've used a few printer servers generally found dlink to be pretty reliable and work well. Thing I have found with them however is that under heavy load they all seem to just lock up and require restarting usually once a month - the dlink ones have been pretty good in this respect.

As for going wireless thats your call - I personally wouldn't bother and would prefer the enhanced reliability of a cabled solution.

The BEST and most reliable print server I have every used was ironically the cheapest! Got it off eBay for £25! :lol: Used it for about 3 years and never did it crash or require a reboot. Now I have passed it on to a mate that uses it in his business with this colour laser printer and again not one issue. Was made by a company called Axis (Axis 540+ Printer Server) and hands down its the best one I've ever used. They also do USB versions of the print server but Axis from what I can gather are very expensive - I was just lucky to pick up the Axis 540+ off eBay!

Info here:

http://www.axis.com/products/print_servers/

is this the printer you use to print out those nasty "your subscription is due" :crying:

ok best way is to place in bath and then fill said bath till full !!

add some mr matey for full effect !

ok so im not techy minded :blush:

my office computers are networked and so are the printers, each computer can just choose which printer to use

all through network cards and XP

cheap as chips :D

Not exactly what you're looking for Steve.......

but I'm using a wireless HP 3310 all-in-one scanner/fax/printer/copier on a wireless network with a PC and two laptops with the new Belkin Pre-N wireless router and it's all working great!

Do you ever find the BELKIN Pre-N locks up on occasion?

I found going to bbc.co.uk, then trying the 5 day forcast link, has this amazing abilty 7in10 of making me require a reboot of the router..........bloody ODD!!! :ph34r:

Not exactly what you're looking for Steve.......

but I'm using a wireless HP 3310 all-in-one scanner/fax/printer/copier on a wireless network with a PC and two laptops with the new Belkin Pre-N wireless router and it's all working great!

Do you ever find the BELKIN Pre-N locks up on occasion?

I found going to bbc.co.uk, then trying the 5 day forcast link, has this amazing abilty 7in10 of making me require a reboot of the router..........bloody ODD!!! :ph34r:

i'm on a belkin pre-n wireless router too, no probs at all! :D

im sharing my printer thru win xp pro on a wireless network, working fine, even with the macs! can you not just do that?

Yeah but then the PC is acting like a print server and so needs to be on all the time to allow print jobs to complete; a seperate print server is just a neater solution. :D

im sharing my printer thru win xp pro on a wireless network, working fine, even with the macs! can you not just do that?

Yeah but then the PC is acting like a print server and so needs to be on all the time to allow print jobs to complete; a seperate print server is just a neater solution. :D

my pc and macs are on all the time anyway, didnt really think of it that way!

OK all you lot with the Belkin Pre-N...

1. what firmware are you all using?

and for 2, can you go to the bbc.co.uk, and play around with the weather links........."local 5 day forcast", "24 Hour forcast" etc........and tell me if anythink happens?

Honest, i don't know why it ONLY happens when i hit those links.......FREAKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links