Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashboard Noise When Vehicle Is Cold

Guest Jay Tayler-Webb

I only get this noise when the car is cold. It sounds as though one part of the plastic is creaking and rattling against another when going over a bump in the road. Once the inside of the car has warmed up, everything's OK. Anyone know how to fix it?

Are you sure it's the dashboard? - mine does this and it appears to be coming from the sunroof - which is a documented problem with the GS. I figure the glass expands a little when it's warm and the noise goes.

I can make the noise stop by pushing upwards on the glass.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Are you sure it's the dashboard? - mine does this and it appears to be coming from the sunroof - which is a documented problem with the GS. I figure the glass expands a little when it's warm and the noise goes.

Thanks for that Rodders_uk, had noticed a squeek when the car was cold and couln't make out where it was coming from, tried pushing on the sunroof and it stopped.

So does anyone have a cure?

Are you sure it's the dashboard? - mine does this and it appears to be coming from the sunroof - which is a documented problem with the GS.  I figure the glass expands a little when it's warm and the noise goes.

Thanks for that Rodders_uk, had noticed a squeek when the car was cold and couln't make out where it was coming from, tried pushing on the sunroof and it stopped.

So does anyone have a cure?

I've seen Lexus TSBs for this - if you take it in and rant enought they may fix it for you

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jay Tayler-Webb

I'm pretty sure largepants is right. I've asked the dealer to look at it and will let you know what he says. Because the rest of the car's so good, this kind of thing drives you mad. The catch on the sunglasses holder rattles (quietly) too.

Yes the dash on the gs300 does rattel on one on of the ones in question i took the fake wood around the gear stick ect out put a bit of foam in it whitched helped a bit.

It not the first one that ihave had doing that.

The trouble is the car is so quite in the first place you here every littel rattel

Hope this helps

Nice one Rodders! - I was wondering for ages where that rattle was coming from. I was convinced it was something in the glovebox or a CD in the door, but I fiddled with the sunroof cover (velour jobby on the roof) and its now gone!

Gold star for Rodders! :D

• 2 months later...

Hiya,

Does anyone get a rattle from the console with the sunroof and light buttons? Anyone know how to fix it? Its driving me mad. When the Velour sunroof cover is open it goes...Strange!!!

Also, had some bad luck with my air fresher..it leaked all over the finish around the sat nav system and has peeled the rubber finish on the housing. Anyone know of any good repaires or can suggest a way of repairing the damage as ive been told i have to change the whole sat nav unit as Lexus doesnt sell just the housing. Please help anyone.

Mani

I get the creaking in the dashboard on my Aristo Vertex Mk.ii / GS turbo.

It only happens when it's freezing, sounds like it's coming from the steering wheel as I turn it.

Once the car warms up, gone!

I complained to Lexus Sheffield about stupid noises from inside my Oct 99 GS300 SE with extended warrenty till May 2003, Sheffield said it was not covered by warranty so I emailed Lexus and they said all faults were covered, sort that one out. :(

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd reopen this thread...

I've got a 2000 GS300 with exactly the same rattling / creaking noise coming from somewhere at the back of the dash. The dealer claims to have 'insulated' everything but in cold weather it always seems to come back. Recently it's started to do it more often, even when the car's warm.

I've been lookg at a US website http://www.clublexus.com - there are lots of people with similar problems there but unfortunately no solutions.

They reckon the problem is much worse with cars build in 1999/2000.

There are some excellent articles on fixing other rattles / wind noise etc. though, if anyone's interested!

I've tried everything I can think of - even WD40 down the back of the dash where it joins the windscreen but nothing seems to help.

Any ideas? And does anyone know if rattles are covered on the approved used vehicle warranty?

If it's a creaking noise then it comes from the windscreen air vent rubbing against the dashboard not the back of the daskboard against the screen.

I've had this on both of my GSs. I've started to pack mine out with felt all the way around the vent. Done one side which made an improvement but now it's started making a noise in warmer weather. Just need to find time to do the rest.

I don't think the used car warranty will fix this sort of thing but you could ask.

• 1 month later...

I am getting exactly same noise from the windscreen de-mister vent. I confirmed this by touching it when driving - doesn't take hardly any pressure to stop the buzz.

I would be very grateful if you could give any tips on removing, packing a replacing this without doing any damage to the dash or fixings.

:question:

My GS Mk 1 sometimes gets a high pitched buzz from what sounds like behind the glovebox. It's definitely vibration from dash/bolts etc. rather than anything mechanical (it's not that high pitched).

It's not all the time but it is very noticeable when it happens (much louder than the sunroof rattle.

Anyone else have this?

• 10 months later...

hi there. you seem to have the same issue as me. there's a rattling that just began yesterday in my dash console. could be a/c motor, i'm thinking or heating unit. can you help me out? have you resolved it? thank you.

I also have the same sound - I think i've tracked it down to the grill for the heating built into the dash for the front screen. It's hard to reach while driving so yet to be proved  :D

I also get a small rattle from the sun roof screen.

Anyone think of a fix let us know.

largepants@hotmail.com