Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tte S/c Group Buy?

Now i am lost guys with this ecu business??

Can someone please shed some light on the subject. I have read through the posts that this black tte ecu had bother (is this the one that comes with the kit?) and a silver tte replacement is needed. What is the difference and is it really required?

Which is best to have out of all the choices that tdi mentions(HKS, APEXI etc? and the costs) Just looking for a definitive answer and to know as much as possible on the entire s/c route. Dont want to be unaware of hidden costs involved.

The black one comes with the kit, works ok, but some people have had problems with it (TTE will replace it for free if it *****up)

The silver box is about £300, lowers your rpm at red line.

HKS FCD is about £117 and works the same as both black and silver.

You have my number :D

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now guys i am lost with all this ecu business??

I take it a 'piggyback ecu' is needed to run the s/c correctly?

Can someone please shed some light on the subject. I have read through the posts that this black tte ecu had some bother as far as i am led to believe (is this the one that comes with the kit?) and a silver tte ecu replacement is needed. What is the difference and is it really required? (something to do with RPM limiter by any chance?)

Which is best to have out of all the choices that tdi mentions(HKS, APEXI etc? and the costs).

Just looking for a definitive answer and to know as much as possible on the entire s/c route. Dont want to be unaware of hidden costs involved as i hope you understand.  :winky:

As far as i know (but not 100% sure) the kit comes with the black tte ecu ( which is unreliable) this can be replaced with the silver tte ecu ( at a cost of about £300 am LED to belive) or as TDI have said the black ecu can be replaced by a HKS alternative at a fraction of the cost.

would have thought that tte would now be supplying the silver ecu if the black one is unreliable !!!

credit avalible? :D

there is at TDi

FREE, then after 6 mths 29% :duh:

Serious 29% or just joking

yup :sick: thats what it says on the tin

The way this deal works is this:

You can get 0% (interest free) "buy now - pay later" credit for a period of 6 months. TDi are the company able to offer this facility. You then have the following options:

1. Pay it off without paying any interest.

2. Transfer the loan to another cheap rate.

3. Pay the balance off over a period of up to 36 months at a rate which is normal for credit cards and most other unsecured loans. You can pay it off at any time without penalty. For example if you paid it off 1 week after the 6 months it would cost you only 0.55%.

We also have a very professional fitting centre with dyno etc in Warrington if that is of any interest.

I hope that helps :)

Humm slowly buying one in my head.Whats the payments and how long for? :winky:

I would have thought the same TTE200??

So there are hidden costs that they should have corrected??

It makes no sense at all, other than these s/c units have been in storage, produced ages ago and sat around. So TTE cant be assed to recall??

Why are they unreliable?

Need some comments from Prolex and TDI since they stock them and can answer all my questions fully.

A Few Facts....

the kits that are being sold off at TGB, were sold to TGB by TTE/TMG about 6 years ago, ( i dont remeber the date of the top of my head)

they have been held in storage for all these years by TGB, due to the fact they didnt want to sell them, as TGB have NOT sanctioned the supercharger for UK sale.

Even though extensive trials were conducted in the Uk at millbrook proving ground, the cars were kept at the Old Milton keynes dealership, in total 5 uk cars were converted, of which only 1 remains.

The Monster was actually the first "Official" UK car supercharged as it was done at TTE in 2001

the superchargers that are supplied by Prolex and TDI in the uk are supplied from this dwindling stock held by TGB

all these kits are as sold 6 years ago, which means they all come with the black ecu old style spring,

In mainland europe where TTE fit the kits, the superchargers come with steel cats and the silver ecu, uprated bypass spring.

so, to clarify, the issues with the black ecu are not TTE's issue, but the issue that the kits have been in storage for so long by TGB

TTE swapping faulty black ECu's is really only a goodwill excercise

TTE = Toyota Team Europe

TMG = Toyota Motorsport Germany

TGB = Toyota Great Britian (parent company of LGB = Lexus Great Britian)

Edited by Monster-Mat

I would have thought the same TTE200??

So there are hidden costs that they should have corrected??

It makes no sense at all, other than these s/c units have been in storage, produced ages ago and sat around. So TTE cant be assed to recall??(scumbags)

Why are they unreliable?

Need some comments from Prolex and TDI since they stock them and can answer all my questions fully.

read my post above, the issue has bugger all to do with TTE...TGB purchased the supercharger kits from TTE......

TDI and Prolex do not stock them, they purchase them from TGB

facts are a wonderfull thing!!

so it would be nice to retract your uncalled for comments regarding TTE considering what TTE do, they do because they want to, not because they have to

Edited by Monster-Mat

TTE, TGB should have sorted it then between themselves.

So what would you recommend to have a trouble free s/c experience then mat?

what has it got to do with TTE...read the post.....really read it.!!

TTE sold the superchargers to TGB6 years ago

TGB decided they were not going to put them into cars..they actually scrapped a few kits....There only selling them now to recoup some of the initial outlay........and ive seen the invoice!!

the black ecu problem is due to storage, and is solely TGB problem, has bugger all to do with TTE

lets take a little scenario.....

so if i sold you a ......computer, you keep it in storage for 6 years, then sell it to someone else, who then turns it on and says.....it dont work, am I to blame.

NO

Edited by Monster-Mat

So what would you recommend to have a trouble free s/c experience then mat?

stop blaming TTE for a start....cos if you did have a problem......they will always be the first to REALLY help you.

secondly, i think 1 in 20 of the black ecus have failed, if it does send it to TTE and within 1 week a new one will be at your door.

or go for the HKS one, or the silver one...entirely upto you, none of the black ecu;s ive fitted have failed

Edited by Monster-Mat

Ok comments understood and comment retracted. :winky:

Do you work for TTE by any chance lol?

So do TTE out of GOODWILL replace the black ecu with a silver one or just replace it?

What would you recommend then? Buy the HKS ecu instead?

It seems you are faster on the keyboard than me as you have answered my question.

That is good to know that only 1 in 20 have failed.

Out of goodwill i will send you some valium LMFAO ;)

Ok comments understood.

Do you work for TTE by any chance lol?

So do TTE out of GOODWILL replace the black ecu with a silver one or just replace it?

What would you recommend then? Buy the HKS ecu instead?

no they do not replace black for silver, its black for black...as ive said the black ones that fail....circa 1-20, are the ones that have been in storage, none of the replacement black ones have failed

i wont recommend anything.....ive personally never had an issue with fitted black ecu's, my car when it was supercharged had a silver ecu, so never had an issue there, and i cant comment on the HKS one

i dont work for TTE, however i have good friends and connections there, and have been closely involved with "things" .I have also been privy to working practices and infomation and have been shown the correct way of doing a fair few of the instalations, including the IS200 supercharger. I used to spend at least 1 day a month in Cologne, when i was in Germany, and i am planning on going back in the new year to work on another project

TTE have in the past and continue to help and assist me with the drift car, One of my claim to fames is having done some work on the IS430....the real one, not the Rod Millen one

Edited by Monster-Mat

If i were you mate, just buy the s/c kit and you should be fine with the black ecu. There are only a few people who have had problems with them and some of these have occured after the s/c was fitted to a car, sold on and then refitted to another car. In the unlikely event something does happen, then as Mat has said TTE will replace it free of charge and a very quick delivery service too. :D

I'm sure Prolex also sell the kit with the uprated by-pass spring also. Not sure about TDI as my s/c was from Prolex :D

I will always take my hat off to ppl whom are techically minded in this area and know their s*** because i dont and am the first to admit it.

Now do you think TGB will give me a s/c if i ask nicely, since its 6yrs old?? lol

Thanks for the reassurance ad77 :winky:

Probably looking into the bad too much.

Mat is absolutely correct.

The only thing that may be worth while adding is that the price of a kit from TTE today (with silver ecu etc) is a LOT more expensive than those at TGB. The first kits that TDi installed were from TTE not TGB so we were charging more for them. The other issue is that the price that TGB charges us has changed a fair amount over the years too.

We have only seen problems with the black ecu's after a year or two, but still consider the HKS FCD to be considerably better as they will not let you down EVER.

We have only seen problems with the black ecu's after a year or two,

The only problems ive seen have been when the black ecu is swapped between cars

That's interesting Mat. We don't really get involved in swapping (compressors not wives) ;) and have seen quite a few fail. I think it's just a quality issue more than anything :)

I fitted my kit about 3 years ago and have had no probs with the black ECU at all. The only prob i had was a slight hole in the SC output duct where the casting marks were filed, but a bit of welding cured that.

Quick Q - when the black ECU fails do you have to send it back to TTE?

I fitted my kit about 3 years ago and have had no probs with the black ECU at all. The only prob i had was a slight hole in the SC output duct where the casting marks were filed, but a bit of welding cured that.

Quick Q -  when the black ECU fails do you have to send it back to TTE?

Don't know about anyone else, but we haven't been asked to send any back to TTE.

ok - because the circuit is a very basic gate ( just reverses the original input signal) so it would be very easy for people to make their own ECU'S in case of a failure, if TTE ever decide to stop replacing the Black ECU'S.

You just need to have an original one to see what type of gate /components are in there.

The only problems ive seen have been when the black ecu is swapped between cars

Yeah I think Matt is onto something there!

RX-MEN8 and Jasper both come to mind as they both experienced problems with the ECU. What they got in common you ask? Well both their SC kits to the best of my knowledge were previously installed in other cars.

i've been askin the same question for like a month now ..... I was the one that initiated the GB ... so thats 1 ...... I see u r interested too... so that makes 2.

I recall there was also 1 or 2 ppl that said they will be only interested in the new year ..... well its the new year now.

I think 3 ppl can kick start the GB... with more ppl in ... we can get a better deal.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links