Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Plumbing Question

Fidgits

Okay - my circulating pump off my boiler has started 'chugging' (sounds a bit like a tractor). Its not that loud close by, but the noise is travelling through the pipes, which is annoying.

Its only just started tonight...

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong - or causing it, and how much its going to cost.

I switched off my heating, and it carried on for 10 mins, and has just stopped chugging, but if the pump is on its way out, i want to be prepared...

Okay - my circulating pump off my boiler has started 'chugging' (sounds a bit like a tractor). Its not that loud close by, but the noise is travelling through the pipes, which is annoying.

Its only just started tonight...

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong - or causing it, and how much its going to cost.

I switched off my heating, and it carried on for 10 mins, and has just stopped chugging, but if the pump is on its way out, i want to be prepared...

could be air in the system

Could be an air lock in the pump causing it to cavitate, try bleeding the pump.

i wouldnt know how to do that? :blush:

Usually a big screw in the middle of the circular bit of the pump housing. Slacken it back slowly and listen for air hissing out. If you hear air wait till some water drips out and tighten back up again.

Usually a big screw in the middle of the circular bit of the pump housing. Slacken it back slowly and listen for air hissing out. If you hear air wait till some water drips out and tighten back up again.

i have a plastic type screw head, i unscrewed it for a while, it came out quite far - no water, or air, but i wasnt too confident to keep going... because i didnt want to break anything...

Barrie - i did have to bleed a radiator the other week, could be that?

could be, try bleeding all the radiators let it flow until no air comes out at all, get a bowl :winky:

might be the water is boiling and causing air to form, try checking that the thermostat is operating or turn your boiler temperature down

what boiler, pump, system have you got ??

erm... i havent a clue...

the boiler thermostat was on about 60, the central heating thermostat was 30...

30! :ohmy: are you trying to melt your furniture

thats hot , most thermostats only go to 30 at max

is your house warm ?

may be the boilers overheat sensor has gone and is causing the water to boil within the boiler, causing a lockout and introducing air into the system

boiler should have a makers name and model on it

Possibly daft questions....but......

Have you felt the radiators to see if there is heat at the top and bottom of the rads?..........

Have you bled each rad in the system?

You might have some carp flowing round the system....do you know the last time the water was treated?

Wish mine was so easily fixed :crybaby: So far new pump and valve, new radiator valves and power flush. Still one pipe (to four radiators) and two radiators completely gunked up and needing replacing. Spend so far £800. About £200 to go... :o

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links