Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starting Problems..kind Of

Probably something very simple but i aint sure so i thought id post it on here.

NOticed that my car has been taking longer to start over the last few months (starts in one kick but takes bit longer) alothough on one occasion when the car was used previously in the day it took two kicks, nothing to with weather it was in a car park. It basically needs me to twist the key for a full 3-5 seconds on average. Not the 1-2 seconds that it used to be a while back.

Anyway I hope it aint the starter motor, i checked the batter its on blue - which indicates fine, and internally the Battery level when driving says 13 with 9 being recommended minimum, its a 52 plate sport with 34000 miles on it.

Could it be the Battery? or something more severe

thanks in advance

I say Battery.

These maintenance free Battery indicators are not accurate. Also, when the car is running, it is not a good indication of the Battery strength. You should turn your key to 2nd click (when all the warning lights come on and the fuel gauge comes up). Then you can get a clearer reading of the voltage.

To be honest, if the Battery has been with this car for around 3 yrs ... i'd say its the most probable cause.

Bernard

NOticed that my car has been taking longer to start over the last few months (starts in one kick but takes bit longer) alothough on one occasion when the car was used previously in the day it took two kicks, nothing to with weather it was in a car park.  It basically needs me to twist the key for a full 3-5 seconds on average.  Not the 1-2 seconds that it used to be a while back.

Anyway I hope it aint the starter motor, i checked the batter its on blue - which indicates fine, and internally the battery level when driving says 13 with 9 being recommended minimum, its a 52 plate sport with 34000 miles on it.

Could it be the battery? or something more severe

thanks in advance

Sounds just like my four year old IS200, its been a bit sluggish starting the last week and I was thinking about a new Battery. Will it cause any probs with the alarm, keys or tracker when I change it? Any reccomendations of make to repalce with? :D

Sounds just like my four year old IS200, its been a bit sluggish starting the last week and I was thinking about a new battery.  Will it cause any probs with the alarm, keys or tracker when I change it? Any reccomendations of make to repalce with? :D

changed my Battery recently no problems radio fine alarm fine

when you change the Battery you will loose the radio presets and the clock and maybe the trib a+b that is it - the lexus IS radio is not key coded nor will you have any probs with the alarm.

I recently got a bosch silver Battery, bit more expensive than others but its fine - just remember to get the one with the +ve post on the correct side as bosch list 2 batteries for the is!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to post the same problem on my IS200. The car starts but it just takes twice as long on the key turn. I will change my Battery tomorrow having heard the advice here. How much is a standard Battery likely to cost and a Bosch Silver one? Also its a very easy DIY job right? Or is it a pay a garage to do it kind of a job?

I was just about to post the same problem on my IS200.  The car starts but it just takes twice as long on the key turn.  I will change my battery tomorrow having heard the advice here.  How much is a standard battery likely to cost and a Bosch Silver one?  Also its a very easy DIY job right? Or is it a pay a garage to do it kind of a job?

Not sure of the price of the Bosch Silver, but the equally as good Exide SE005 goes for around £55.

The Hafords equivalent (also with 4 year warranty) is good value.

Sounds just like my four year old IS200, its been a bit sluggish starting the last week and I was thinking about a new battery.  Will it cause any probs with the alarm, keys or tracker when I change it? Any reccomendations of make to repalce with? :D

hello Jim, not seen you around for a while :D

NOticed that my car has been taking longer to start over the last few months (starts in one kick but takes bit longer) alothough on one occasion when the car was used previously in the day it took two kicks, nothing to with weather it was in a car park.  It basically needs me to twist the key for a full 3-5 seconds on average.  Not the 1-2 seconds that it used to be a while back.

Anyway I hope it aint the starter motor, i checked the batter its on blue - which indicates fine, and internally the battery level when driving says 13 with 9 being recommended minimum, its a 52 plate sport with 34000 miles on it.

Could it be the battery? or something more severe

thanks in advance

Not stepping on anyones toes, but it could be the oil you are using. Is it FULL to the limit. Thicker oil over cold days can cause problems starting or the oil needs topping up?