Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, my car's booked in for an inspection later this week due to graunching noise when braking at speeds higher than say around 60-70mph. The noise is not metal to metal and the brakes still seem firm. At lower speeds the brakes are as you would expect them to noirmally feel. I'm not sure whether it's just a large build up of brake dust or whether they're on their way out. After 17k miles though I would have hoped they would last between services. Typically I'm not someone who's heavy on the brakes and for a large degree of the 17k miles the car has spent long periods with the cruise control set on the motorway.

Those of you who have higher limeage Mk II's what life are you typically getting from your brake pads? Have any of you had to have disks replaced?

thanks for your help.

br

D

Took my RX into the dealer the other day because of squealing breaks - turns out the pads are worn out (24k miles). I really expected the car to have a warning light for this - turns out it is the noise that indicates the pads need replacing.

Jon

Suprised you need new pads at 17k. I managed to get to 38k with my MKII RX300 and 27k with a MK I. On the other hand I had to replace my front tires at 24k so perhaps it is the luck of the draw !

Hi, my car's booked in for an inspection later this week due to graunching noise when braking at speeds higher than say around 60-70mph. The noise is not metal to metal and the brakes still seem firm. At lower speeds the brakes are as you would expect them to noirmally feel. I'm not sure whether it's just a large build up of brake dust or whether they're on their way out. After 17k miles though I would have hoped they would last between services. Typically I'm not someone who's heavy on the brakes and for a large degree of the 17k miles the car has spent long periods with the cruise control set on the motorway.

Those of you who have higher limeage Mk II's what life are you typically getting from your brake pads? Have any of you had to have disks replaced?

thanks for your help.

br

D

I typically do motorway driving and have now done 23k. My front brake pads were replaced at the 20k service. They were about 85% worn...