Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Avoid Being Hit Or Bashed On The Sides

NetOne

After having the new car for a few months, now there's several dent, scratch & mark on both sides of the car. It's obvious that it's done when those idiots opening their cars doors, and some were hit on hard. Does anyone concern about this issue or is there anything to do or avoid ?

After having the new car for a few months, now there's several dent, scratch & mark on both sides of the car. It's obvious that it's done when those idiots opening their cars doors, and some were hit on hard. Does anyone concern about this issue or is there anything to do or avoid ?

I park WAY......away from the front parking spots.

If it takes me 20-30 seconds to walk that distance, I don't mind.

They do make a door edge guard(in black,and other colors) that sticks out from the door a little bit, which might help.

Don't drive anywhere or ever park in a carpark especially supermarket carparks as they have trolleys to ram your car with. I have to admit to only ever parking in the disabled spaces as they are wide enough to allow doors to open without banging on other cars. Not ideal and you get some scowls but I'd rather a few scowls than a few dents.

Leave the car at home on the drive! A sad fact of life is that your car will tend to pick up scrapes/dents/chips, as it's used to transport you around.

Like others have said, in public car parks, park it in the remotest spot, so it's unlikely cars will park next to you.

If you DO have to park in a car park, try to park in an end space as well - this will minize the damage to your car being on only one side. :winky:

A very good point... By following this tip you have cut the chances of getting a dent by 50% !!

The other one is leave someone sitting in the car (if possible) - People tend to be a little more careful if there is someone sitting in the vehicle.

I always try and get in a Parent and child space if I can as they are wide enough to stop the door dent brigade attacking you. I did get out of my car once and a chav piped up "Oi mate they're Mother a baby spaces" to which I replied "No - They are actually parent a child spaces and I'm a parent and my children are at home"... He didn't know what to say :P

As an aside - when I was brinnging up my kids I always taught them to be very careful opening their door so as not to dent the car next to us. Sadly the sport of today for most people (not just kids) is to fling the door open as wide as possibe and use the vehicle in the space next to you as a door stop.

There are basically two types of people in this world....

1) Ones that care and take pride in their vehicle

2) Everybody else :tsktsk:

The Ed

2) Everybody else  :tsktsk:

I would add a third type "Considerate People", who leave designated parking spaces for the people who actually need them to get in and out of their cars.

If you are that worried about supermarket dings get your stuff delivered www.tesco.com will oblige :D

If you DO have to park in a car park, try to park in an end space as well - this will minize the damage to your car being on only one side. :winky:

A very good point... By following this tip you have cut the chances of getting a dent by 50% !!

The other one is leave someone sitting in the car (if possible) - People tend to be a little more careful if there is someone sitting in the vehicle.

I always try and get in a Parent and child space if I can as they are wide enough to stop the door dent brigade attacking you. I did get out of my car once and a chav piped up "Oi mate they're Mother a baby spaces" to which I replied "No - They are actually parent a child spaces and I'm a parent and my children are at home"... He didn't know what to say :P

As an aside - when I was brinnging up my kids I always taught them to be very careful opening their door so as not to dent the car next to us. Sadly the sport of today for most people (not just kids) is to fling the door open as wide as possibe and use the vehicle in the space next to you as a door stop.

2) Everybody else :tsktsk:

The Ed

The other one is to park at the end space to minimize the morons hitting your car by 50%, AND putting a bollard in the space next to you. This tends to confuse people, and they drive on to another space. :lol:

Oh yeah - update, AVOID parking next to any vehicles with baby seats, and vans. The person trying to put the baby in the seat DO have their hands full so need to open the doors fairly wide by using their legs or any other means. And vans just don't really seem to be bothered about any reasons for opening their doors and hitting you.

In addition to what everyone else has said ............

Try and mark if you must, in between two expensive / well looked after cars.

The chances are, that there car costs more than yours ... and they won't want to damage there own car !

You just goto make sure you finish shopping before they do ! B)

In addition to what everyone else has said ............

Try and mark if you must, in between two expensive / well looked after cars.

The chances are, that there car costs more than yours ... and they won't want to damage there own car !

You just goto make sure you finish shopping before they do !  B)

Haha - that's kinda what I does. If the car park is full and I have to park next to another car, I make a mental note of what car it was and cross my fingers that I'm out before they are. :D

In addition to all of the above , I cut six pieces of styrafoam equal lengths, about 3 feet and about 2 inches wide, I attached small magnets on either end,taped them on with electricians tape and with self adhesive plasic molding attached the molding to the styrafoam. I kept them in the trunk and anytime my vehicle was to be parked for a long period of time I simply attached the moldings to the side of my vehicle. Most times I simply park at the end of the parking lot. I have a n 1990 Ls 400 dentless!!!!!!!!!

Linkster

In addition to all of the above , I cut six pieces of styrafoam equal lengths, about 3 feet and about 2 inches wide, I attached small magnets on either end,taped them on with electricians tape and with self adhesive plasic molding attached the molding to the styrafoam. I kept them in the trunk and anytime my vehicle was to be parked for a long period of time I simply attached the moldings to the side of my vehicle. Most times I simply park at the end of the parking lot.  I have a n 1990 Ls 400 dentless!!!!!!!!!

Linkster

Please tell me you're joking bud :blink: :D

In addition to all of the above , I cut six pieces of styrafoam equal lengths, about 3 feet and about 2 inches wide, I attached small magnets on either end,taped them on with electricians tape and with self adhesive plasic molding attached the molding to the styrafoam. I kept them in the trunk and anytime my vehicle was to be parked for a long period of time I simply attached the moldings to the side of my vehicle. Most times I simply park at the end of the parking lot.  I have a n 1990 Ls 400 dentless!!!!!!!!!

Linkster

Please tell me you're joking bud :blink: :D

Does seem abit excessive. :ph34r::tomato:

Thanks all for these great tips :D , the tips just getting better & better one after another. I would say any new luxury car lover has read this would have minimized the damage to their car by over 80%. I would not expect to have a dentless car for 15 years like Linkster (It'd be great if it does :P ) but at least 2-3 years of dentless car. Of-course we deserve it if the chips or damages caused by stone because we don't take enough care when driving on rough or country road. But dent, scratch or mark caused by human who did it on purpose or not are something that can not be tolerated. I really hate dent, scratch or mark, they just look ***** especially on your own luxury car.

All these minor damages not just cause money lost but also the hassle and worry in getting it repair at the smash repair. If you happen to have your car back from a smash repairer, if you look hard enough inside or outside of the car you might find dirt, mark or oil on seat or trim. some part of the paint might be coated with fine thin colour mist. And worstly the worriness that some parts or components of the car being swapped during the repair. This happened to some of the friends in the past. One of them had his almost new, hardly sited-on rear seat swapped for a dirty, damage seat. Another had his newly alloy wheel & tyre swapped for a scratchy one. What about electrical and engine compoents ? Even if you are an expert you can't really tell or check it all during the pickup. Hence only careless people can have serenity sleep.

why is it when you do park at the far end of the car park, were there are loads of empty spaces when you return to youre car there is allways some one parked right next to you??????

It's the 'SHEEP' mentality! I do this on purpose in big spaces just for fun. Park nowhere NEAR the others in a near empty car park, or Park at 45 degrees.....and sure enough, there'll be a line of obliquely parked cars alongside in 2 hours!

Baaaaa! (As long as they don't bump my car TOO!!!)

why is it when you do park at the far end of the car park, were there are loads of empty spaces when you return to youre car there is allways some one parked right next to you??????

It's the 'SHEEP' mentality! I do this on purpose in big spaces just for fun. Park nowhere NEAR the others in a near empty car park, or Park at 45 degrees.....and sure enough, there'll be a line of obliquely parked cars alongside in 2 hours!

Baaaaa! (As long as they don't bump my car TOO!!!)

hehehehehe :lol: i started doing this very same thing at the beginning of the week... for 8 years everyone parked in (unmarked) bays, so i thought i'd be clever and park at 45 degrees to the rest of everyone... by wednesday, i had a whole row of cars parked at the same angle, with a respectable amount of gap between them all :) hehehe, made me laugh... :D

I've started to do what other big car drivers do, park across two bays! Yes, it's selfish when car parks are busy, but if your car is quite wide for a single bay, this helps to keep you dent free.

I turned up in a rather congested Tesco car park in Sarf London, and I found right at the end of the car park, a couple of folks in S-classes had done this.

I avoid parking next to Big SUVs or other 4x4, vehicles with kids seats in the back, clapped out bangers.

Like Scarface suggest, try and park next to nicer cars.

The trouble with that is some folks with very expensive cars have so much money to spare, they don't care if the car gets a few parking dents. You just can't win!