Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tom Tom One

Kremmen

Due to Argos bringing down the price of the Tom Tom One to £223 from £279 I decided to get some Sat Nav. Also got a free £10 voucher chucked in by Argos because I was spending over £100 which brought the price down even further in real terms.

Very impressed.

The unit needs an initial 2 hour charge, so being as I have a garage I positioned the unit, switched on the accessory position to power the cigar lighter socket and connected to the unit.

Even though I was in a garage with the doors shut, it still connected to 5 sattelites and positioned me to within about 15 yards/metres of where I actually was !

There are more settings to play with than you could ever want and I managed to navigate round them without even referring to the manual.

Interesting point this morning though was that whilst I was on the M25 doing exactly 70MPH on the speedo the unit was registering 65MPH. Wonder which is correct ?

Another bonus is that I have downloaded and installed into the unit (free of charge) all the positions of the known "safety cameras" in the UK from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

The positions of the cameras are so accurate that on roads where there are cameras on both sides of the road, only the one in your direction flashes up as a warning and the one on the other side of the road is shown but not highlighted.

I've been waiting for Tom Tom ONE for a while now. It looks superb! It uses the SIRFIII chipset which is much more sensitive then the older one in the Go units and the design is sleeker too.

£223 is a BARGAIN price - in fact I think I might get one for my sister.

Only downsides are that its not as easy to transfer from car to car as the Go units since it doesn't use a docking station (not a big issue really) and the speaker is of poorer quality then the one in the Go units, however its still loud enough to be functional.

The speed shown by your GPS will be the more accurate.

If you've got the unit would you mind measuring it? It would be pretty cool actually to get it to fit inside the Lexus Sat nav housing (if it fits)

Thanks

Can also add my recommendations to this post.

Purchased a TomTom One a couple of weeks ago for an early Xmas present for my eldest daughter.

Have given the unit a good test and have to say I am VERY impressed. I also purchased a 13amp mains/Cig lighter adapter from here for £7 which means you can use/charge the unit indoors which makes it more convienient. The only minor niggles I would have so far are

1) It doesn't warn you of lane change coming up to a complex junction (as my Garmin unit does) such as " In 400 yards - Keep Right" etc

2) It has required a hard reset (with a paperclip in the reset button) once - don't know why this was but will keep an eye on it.

Other than the above I have to say the aquisition time is VERY fast for a portable unit (almost instant) and the sensitivity is unreal. It will lock onto 2 or three sats while I am sitting in the lounge, something my other portable units could never dream of acheiving !!

Overall - I would say if you are in the market for a compact Sat Nav unit with FULL POSTCODE search facilities... Go out and buy one !!

The Ed

P.S. - btw.. the supplied windscreen sucker mount is very strong - once you place it on the screen and push the lever to create the suction... It aint gonna fall off !! :D

Interesting replies :

not as easy to transfer from car to car as the Go units since it doesn't use a docking station

a) Yes it does (if I understand you properly) - you just need to purchase another windscreen mount or alternative mount system and the unit just slots in and out.

B) measured by me ..... width = 106mm, height =85mm, depth = 28mm

It doesn't warn you of lane change coming up to a complex junction (as my Garmin unit does) such as " In 400 yards - Keep Right" etc

Mine does - On the M25 as I was approaching the M3 (anti-clockwise) the unit said to 'keep right' exactly as you quote. I have however downloaded and installed the latest software version.

I was also considering whether I could mount it in the top tray so that I could hide the charge cable a bit better and just close the lid to hide from view.

Interesting point this morning though was that whilst I was on the M25 doing exactly 70MPH on the speedo the unit was registering 65MPH. Wonder which is correct ?

I have the same interesting thing on my Snooper S4R.

The speedo in the car says 70mph, but the unit says 66mph.

I was going to bring this up sooner or later, but now that you've mentioned, does anyone have any ideas? I thought i heard somewhere that the speedo in the car is 7% out...??

It doesn't warn you of lane change coming up to a complex junction (as my Garmin unit does) such as " In 400 yards - Keep Right" etc

Mine does - On the M25 as I was approaching the M3 (anti-clockwise) the unit said to 'keep right' exactly as you quote. I have however downloaded and installed the latest software version.

Ahhh... Maybe it only does on 'major' junctions/motorways etc - either way it isn't really THAT much of an issue.

As regards to swapping it from car to car - the suction mount is very quick to release and affix (around 5 seconds !!!) so it isn't really an issue. Also it's a good idea to take the mount off the windscreen when you park up and pop it in the glove compartment as I understand it's the mount that thieves are looking for as it advertises the fact that there is probably a GPS unit in the car as well !!

Cheers

The Ed

I have the same interesting thing on my Snooper S4R.

The speedo in the car says 70mph, but the unit says 66mph.

I was going to bring this up sooner or later, but now that you've mentioned, does anyone have any ideas? I thought i heard somewhere that the speedo in the car is 7% out...??

All speedos are approximately 5% out. The GPS speed will be accurate over your speedo. Manufacturers have to do this to cover there backs from a legal perspective.