Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suspension Problems

doggy

I have a 2001 is 200 auto.

this vehicle is still under the dealership warrenty and has been back to them on 3 occassions with no results so far. When the weather is dry underfoot i have a knocking from what appears to be the front o/s. This happens when breaking (either hard or soft ) and turning. If i break in a straight line there is no knocking at all. If the road is wet or it is raining there is no knocking. To be fair the dealer at Cumnor Oxford have been very good in trying to find this fault. However they dropped the front suspention 2 weeks ago and repplaced a part. When the car was returned it seemd fine until the weather changed and the road surface became dry, the knocking has returned, does anyone have any ideas or had something simular.

MANY THANKS :

I have a 2001 is 200 auto.

this vehicle is still under the dealership warrenty and has been back to them on 3 occassions with no results so far. When the weather is dry underfoot i have a knocking from what appears to be the front o/s. This happens when breaking  (either hard or soft ) and turning. If i break in a straight line there is no knocking at all. If the road is wet or it is raining there is no knocking. To be fair the dealer at Cumnor Oxford have been very good in trying to find this fault. However they dropped the front suspention 2 weeks ago and repplaced a part. When the car was returned it seemd fine until the weather changed and the road surface became dry, the knocking has returned, does anyone have any ideas or had something simular.

MANY THANKS  :

Not sure but sounds like lower ball joint, have been to hell and back to work out probs like this on mine and had that replaced and its puurrrrrfffic

Not sure but worth checking

S

Steve E, i have been reading the replies etc to anither lexus owner that seems to have or had the same problems,(may have been yourself) the symptons on that appear to be very simular to mine apart from the wet weather issues. Lexus are collecting the car tomorrow i will put this to them and get them to check it. Maybe they think that if there is no play in the ball joint then it's ok. Obviously this is not the case.

Anees, this has been suggested in the past by me to Lexus, the fact that it only makes these knocking noises in the dry would substantiate this, however the garage have informewd me that there are no bushes or leaking seals etc that they can find.??

one thing that i did not mention is that i put 4 new boots on 9 weeks ago and the front 2 are now just legal!!!!!!

many thanks guys i will update you if they resolve the problem or not. thanks for the welcome.

one thing that i did not mention is that i put 4 new boots on 9 weeks ago and the front 2 are now just legal!!!!!!

many thanks guys i will update you if they resolve the problem or not. thanks for the welcome.

:o :o :ohmy: Wearing tyres out in 9 weeks?? Sounds like violent tyre wear! When was the last time you had a full geometry check?

You need to book an appointment to see the club geometry guru /doctor at STS in Hemel Hempstead or (far for you) Dury lane Service Station in Oldham.

Look at:

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk

http://www.drurylaneservices.com

:D

full geometry check?

what is one of them, and how much will it cost, or should i be asking Lexus to do this under warrenty??

cheers

doggy

To quote Wheels in Motion Website:

Full geometry will give a global image and allow for a total reference of all the angles that support your car.

Angles measured: fifteen

It is much more comprehensive then a simple 4 wheel alignment. If you car is under warrenty then I would assume the dealer should be able to sort it out but make sure its a FULL geometry. To get it done from another garage I think its about £60 - £70 (more depending on adjustments) but its well worth it.

Might even solve your knocking issue. :D

Steve E

Scary read!.. first Welcome to LOC... :D .. second for now 'forget the knock!'

Something is 'very wrong' with that geometry.

All the components that support the cars frame cannot be aligned with the level of tyre wear you describe..... knock it must!.

Absolute direction is for them to measure the geometry and for you to request a copy of the results..... (It is you car) don't be denied. from there display the report and we will help you from there....(fact) If all fails i will measure it for you £25 and explain what to do next....

thanks guys for these replies, i will say that this is sounding very scary. I spoke to Lexus again yesterday. I have made the suggestions about the ball joints and the geometry check. They have not said that they will not do this but they have also not said that they will.

Can i ask you guys a very serious question. I MY CAR SAFE TO DRIVE.

Thanks Doggy

I spoke to Lexus again yesterday. I have made the suggestions about the ball joints and the geometry check. They have not said that they will not do this but they have also not said that they will.

I MY CAR SAFE TO DRIVE.

Thanks Doggy

Insist i will help you with any technical advice directly if needs be. Mate the car cannot be safe with the profile you display.

If the car is under warranty and the tyres show 'violent wear' then the dealer 'must' address this.. please don't allow then to dismiss the problem.

This sort of distress is why i exist and i will fight for you!

Pm me your contact#

or contact me at wheels-inmotion@ntlworld.com

It will cost £nothing, to address the issue directly for you. i actually enjoy 'ramming' their stuck-up attitude back in their face....knowladge is power :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...
I spoke to Lexus again yesterday. I have made the suggestions about the ball joints and the geometry check. They have not said that they will not do this but they have also not said that they will.

I MY CAR SAFE TO DRIVE.

Thanks Doggy

Insist i will help you with any technical advice directly if needs be. Mate the car cannot be safe with the profile you display.

If the car is under warranty and the tyres show 'violent wear' then the dealer 'must' address this.. please don't allow then to dismiss the problem.

This sort of distress is why i exist and i will fight for you!

Pm me your contact#

or contact me at wheels-inmotion@ntlworld.com

It will cost £nothing, to address the issue directly for you. i actually enjoy 'ramming' their stuck-up attitude back in their face....knowladge is power :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links