Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spark Plug Change

kensigreen

Hi

My 99 IS200 SE is comming up to 60k and the cost of getting the plugs changed at the garages looks really expensive.

I have seen the posts on which plugs to get and they look pretty cheap, but is it easy to fit new ones yourself.

I have never change plugs in a car before but have not thought it would be beyond me, e.g. pull lead off, use socket to remove old and space if necessary (not so on IS plugs I believe) and screw back in!

Heres the embarrising bit....

I can't even find them in the IS!

Are they in an inecessable place that makes it a "take loads of other bits off first before you can touch them" job, which for me would be best left to an expert?

If there are post describing this I cant see it, any help appreciated.

Take off the engine cover and you will see the tops of the coilpacks. They are held down by 2 bolts with 10mm hex. Unplug the wires to the coilpacks, take out the bolts and just lift out the coilpacks.

Way down there you will see the plugs. Invest in one of the spark plug sockets with the rubber insert that holds the plug, I got one from my local motor factors for under a fiver. You will also need a long extension bar to reach them.

I have never bothered using a torque wrench, mainly because I don't know the correct setting. I just tighten by hand until I feel the plug contacting the cylinder head and tighten about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn from there.

Anyone got any reccomendations?? ebay links or any one got any forsale?? Thanks

think pete had some iridiums for sale (petejenkin) if his have gone try the US eBay for denso iridiums IK for the IS they work out cheaper from the US than you can get them over here I had six denso iridium IK16s from the US cost me about £35 with postage :winky:

• 5 weeks later...

just changed the spark plugs on my is200s,started the car and the little engine icon on the dash is lit,(it was not before the plugs were changed) how do i get it to go out or is it a job for the dealer. will i do any damage to the engine if i continue to drive it with this light on,

many thanks

kirkee :blush:

just changed the spark plugs on my is200s,started the car and the little engine icon on the dash is lit,(it was not before the plugs were changed) how do i get it to go out or is it a job for the dealer. will i do any damage to the engine if i continue to drive it with this light on,

many thanks

might sound stupid but have u checked all the leads are pushed all the way down and does it sound like you are firing on all cylinders?

many thanks

Try re-setting the ECU...

many thanks

Try re-setting the ECU...

Would try to clear the fault before re-setting the ECU as that will clear the fault codes.

As previously said check that all the coil packs are inserted properly and that the wiring is re-connected to all of them. Also have a good look around to check that you have not accidently disconnected some other wiring in the process.

• 1 month later...

many thanks

Any update on this? I too will be having a crack at this soon, would like to know how you got it sorted? Hope you did

Cheers

Changed mine recently(DENSO IK22), engine seems to be ticking over differently, not racing up and down but more of a gap some times in the noise....am i being paranoid?, I reset the ECU.... but it's still the same, Car is definitly driving much better though...

Other thing ,I know the plug gap is already set on the Denso's, but the plugs that came out ( DENSO IK20) 2 of them had gaps twice the size as the ones i put in...? didn't look burnt....looked fine actually..( no expert but checked with pics on the web, on what to look out for.)...

should i worry?

Tips- (for newbies, like me )

Use an air hose to blow all the sh!t out off the holes first.........sounds bad but you know what i mean, ;)

Use a piece of rubber hose when screwing in the new plugs, that way you can be sure they are treading in properly....Finish by tighting with the plug wrench

Only use the rubber insert in the plug wrench for REMOVING the old plugs....blasted thing stayed on the first new plug...Had to remove the plug to get it off......Or buy a dear one that keeps the bloody thing where it's supposed to be!

• 2 years later...

Morning guys. Got a legendary hongover this morning. Anyway enough of that, I changed my spark plugs yesterday to Denso IK20s. I used the spark plug tool from Halfords to remove AND fit the spark plugs and that worked fine for me. No engine management light and the engine is much smoother.

I took off all the bits above the engine, air box (3 screws, maf lead and oil hose), intake hose (3 screws) and the cover on the left (4 screws) Then I changed each spark plug one at a time. Remove screw for the charge pack, remove lead and just pull it out. Unscrew the old plug, clear out the crap in the bottom of the hole with air gun and then screw on new one. Replace charge pack, screw it in and replace lead.

Repeat x 5.

I hope that helps anyone else needing pointers.

I would blow the crap out BEFORE you take the old plug out. If you do it with the plug removed you could blow some onto the cylinder though the plug hole.

Apart from anything else I wouldn't expect to find anything down there with the coilpack and engine cover blocking off from the outside.

• 6 years later...

Sorry to dig up a dead and buried thread, but is importing spark plugs from the US a good idea? I know they might be cheaper but are they still the same rating etc? We have stricter emission laws over here and so our engines must be cleaner, spark plugs making a difference to that.

Sorry, that's just a really long way of asking if they are the same and don't give our cars any problems?

I've found 6 ik20s for £33 delivered and tracked so I was pondering getting them over here ready for when I do my valves and timing belt etc