Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Acc

oldcro

I ordered the adaptive cruise control option on my long awaited IS250 SE-L, and wondered if anyone already has this option. If so could they comment on how good/bad they think it is.

My reason for getting this expensive option was due to past experiences with normal cruise control. If the road was virtually empty it worked fine. Is there was any amount of traffic I was forever nudging my speed up or down to match the car in front as I was either catching it up or dropping farther behind. In the end I would switch the cruise control off as the driving was more relaxing without it.

If there is nobody who replies with their experiences with ACC I will write a report on how I get on with it when my IS250 arrives. The ACC also comes with the precrash system, I do not intend to test this so don't expect a review.

Oldun :driving:

When the new GS came out, I test drove a GS430 that had the ACC fitted, and I've gotta say it was amazing :D

I totally agree, never use the cruise in the IS, because I barely ever drive around when there are no other cars around, and at all other times, I find it useless

However, back to the test drive. I was travelling down the M1, and it was very neatly following the car in front, keeping a very safe distance at all times. I'm not sure if I tempted fate, but I commented to the salesman, that all seems well with small changes in speed but how would it cope with a more serious change in speed?

Almost instantly (with me not paying complete attention to the road) an absolute idiot pulled out in front of me doing what could have only been around 50-55 mph. Quicker than I would've reacted, the GS slammed on the brakes, and didn't really get anywhere near the other car :)

I've gotta say that its one of the best pieces of kit I've ever used in a car, and have argued with ppl to no end about how good, and how useful it would be, especially in and around london (yet many still maintain that its not possible to use cruise in london, to which I say, drive a car with ACC :P ).

The cost might be high, but you definitely won't regret it :winky:

I also wonder what happens in stop-start traffic when you have ACC switched on. Will the car come to a complete stop and start in line with the traffic.

I too have ordered the SE-L but opted not to have the ACC as I thought it would be expensive and would hardly get used but by the sounds of it the system sounds very good. If my budget was a little higher I would have ordered it without much hesitation.

I also wonder what happens in stop-start traffic when you have ACC switched on.  Will the car come to a complete stop and start in line with the traffic. 

ACC switches off below 30mph (i think) and therefore cannot be used in stop-start traffic. Hopefully, the next generation version will have it, like distronic-plus on the new S-class :winky:

When the new GS came out, I test drove a GS430 that had the ACC fitted, and I've gotta say it was amazing  :D

I totally agree, never use the cruise in the IS, because I barely ever drive around when there are no other cars around, and at all other times, I find it useless

However, back to the test drive. I was travelling down the M1, and it was very neatly following the car in front, keeping a very safe distance at all times. I'm not sure if I tempted fate, but I commented to the salesman, that all seems well with small changes in speed but how would it cope with a more serious change in speed?

Almost instantly (with me not paying complete attention to the road) an absolute idiot pulled out in front of me doing what could have only been around 50-55 mph. Quicker than I would've reacted, the GS slammed on the brakes, and didn't really get anywhere near the other car  :)

I've gotta say that its one of the best pieces of kit I've ever used in a car, and have argued with ppl to no end about how good, and how useful it would be, especially in and around london (yet many still maintain that its not possible to use cruise in london, to which I say, drive a car with ACC  :P ).

The cost might be high, but you definitely won't regret it  :winky:

Thanks for that Parthiban, sound like it will be as good as I had hoped. Just hope my SE-L is one of those due to arrive on the 16th December.

Yipee :D

Oldun :driving:

I also wonder what happens in stop-start traffic when you have ACC switched on.  Will the car come to a complete stop and start in line with the traffic. 

ACC switches off below 30mph (i think) and therefore cannot be used in stop-start traffic. Hopefully, the next generation version will have it, like distronic-plus on the new S-class :winky:

I don't think you would want it like the MB version. Did you not see the test MB done at their factory on Top Gear? Car didn't stop in time and smashed into the car in front :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my IS250 SE-L on Wednesday and thought I would let you know about the Adaptive Cruise Control.

I accelerated up to 65mph and set the cruise on. Came up to a car doing 60mph and (a bit unnerving waiting to see what would happen) the car braked until it matched the 60mph. The car in front then slowed to 30mph as it was going to turn and so did I. Once the car in front had turned off my car immediately accelerated back up to the preset 65mph. All this without touching any of the foot pedals, it felt absolutely brilliant once I was used to it and had confidence it would work.

I have not had a chance to see if it would stop the car if the one in front stopped yet so not sure if it does. I suspect it would, so will test it once I get a bit more used to it.

Was it a good option to get? Yes in my opinion, as it does what it says and makes for very relaxed driving.

My only gripe about the car is the Sat Nav system. It works OK but is certainly not as user friendy as that fitted to the original IS200. I have to keep referring to the handbook to find how to do or undo certain functions which were self explanitary before. Guess it will get better as I gain more experience though.

Mery Christmas everybody.

oldun :driving:

Picked up my IS250 SE-L on Wednesday and thought I would let you know about the Adaptive Cruise Control.

I accelerated up to 65mph and set the cruise on. Came up to a car doing 60mph and (a bit unnerving waiting to see what would happen) the car braked until it matched the 60mph. The car in front then slowed to 30mph as it was going to turn and so did I. Once the car in front had turned off my car immediately accelerated back up to the preset 65mph. All this without touching any of the foot pedals, it felt absolutely brilliant once I was used to it and had confidence it would work.

I have not had a chance to see if it would stop the car if the one in front stopped yet so not sure if it does. I suspect it would, so will test it once I get a bit more used to it.

Was it a good option to get? Yes in my opinion, as it does what it says and makes for very relaxed driving.

My only gripe about the car is the Sat Nav system. It works OK but is certainly not as user friendy as that fitted to the original IS200. I have to keep referring to the handbook to find  how to do or undo certain functions which were self explanitary before. Guess it will get better as I gain more experience though.

Having seen the car in the dealer the other day, I'm really jealous! Its a beautiful car, and the ACC must be the icing on the cake :D

Word of warning tho, don't try to test whether the car will stop automatically if the car in front does, because it won't. There is a switch off point somewhere around 25-30 mph, the instruction manual should be able to tell you the exact speed

The only car that's supposed to be able to do that is the new Merc S-class but if you saw top gear a few weeks ago, you'll see that that couldn't do it either :ohmy:

My only gripe about the car is the Sat Nav system. It works OK but is certainly not as user friendy as that fitted to the original IS200. I have to keep referring to the handbook to find  how to do or undo certain functions which were self explanitary before. Guess it will get better as I gain more experience though.

Having seen the car in the dealer the other day, I'm really jealous! Its a beautiful car, and the ACC must be the icing on the cake :D

Word of warning tho, don't try to test whether the car will stop automatically if the car in front does, because it won't. There is a switch off point somewhere around 25-30 mph, the instruction manual should be able to tell you the exact speed

The only car that's supposed to be able to do that is the new Merc S-class but if you saw top gear a few weeks ago, you'll see that that couldn't do it either :ohmy:

Yes, you're quite right, the manual says it cuts out at 25mph. There are two manuals, the owners and the navigation system. They total 693 pages so cannot imagine how I managed to miss that point. :duh:

oldun

ACC works quite well but like most things there are a few exceptions, after i picked up the 250, I took it for a long 4 hours drive, mainly open road.

Being a holiday weekend there was quite a few boats being towed and I find that the ACC doens't seem to respond well to boat. In one instance the car took me quite close (even though I have a 3 bar setting) to the back of the boat before it suddenly "spotted" it and with lots of automatic braking and bells and the disp blinking "brake,brake". A bit disconcerting. The radar prob can't pick up an uneven object like a boat on a trailer.

Otherwise, ACC works a charm, all you have to do is turn the steering and enjoy the views - and being in New Zealand, have to stay concentrated so that I don;t speed into a 65km specified corner at 100km, another interesting experience, not one the 250 can't handle but i wouldn't do that too often. Pucker factor goes up quite a bit then.

Its a beautiful car , we all agree no?

Apparently the system does work in the new S class, the car reviewer who organised the test rigged the whole thing, can't exactly remember how he did it and the guy and his accomplices have been fired from the network. MB has a lot of work to do counter this -ve publicity. The better for Lexus I suppose.

Apparently the system does work in the new S class, the car reviewer who organised the test rigged the whole thing, can't exactly remember how he did it and the guy and his accomplices have been fired from the network. MB has a lot of work to do counter this -ve publicity. The better for Lexus I suppose.

Really? I thought there had to be something up with that, unusual for Mercedes to set something up like that. Someone said that radar would be affected by fog, but I don't know about that one.

Do you have a link for it? I'd love to read the full story about it :)

Really? I thought there had to be something up with that, unusual for Mercedes to set something up like that. Someone said that radar would be affected by fog, but I don't know about that one.

Do you have a link for it? I'd love to read the full story about it :)

It was in the paper - can't remember the date, it was a test organised by a reporter with MB involvement of course. In the paper it mentioned that criminal cahrges may be laid - here's another report re - the crash www.autoblog.com/2005/11/28/mercedes-s-class-crash-the-truth-comes-out/

True lesson I suppose is , if an idiot gets behind the wheel, a smart car is still going to act stupid. ACC or not, we still has to concentrate on the road.

:offtopic: I'm not fuddy duddy or anti new technology, but all this talk of cars taking over the role of the driver worries me. No doubt sometime in the future, cars will become so reliably automatic, we might as well be on a train. I just hope by then, I'll no longer need to drive.

I enjoy the fun driving gives me, and the fact that I have to concentrate on what I'm doing all the time. Take that away and I might as well give up driving completely. The thought of other road users not concentrating at the wheel doesn't fill me with confidence either.

I'm sure ACC in the right hands will be a usefull aid. However, in a few years time when many cars will have this feature, how easy will it be to convince a 17 year old who has just passed his or her test on such a car, that this technology complements, rather than replaces driving skill?

Just imagine in 20+ years time, lots of old bangers being driven around with "old" ACC kit fitted, and our kids/grandkids assuming this technology is the norm.............

:ohmy:

IanB.

When I was a lad, my Dad's Cortina Mk1 had a dash mounted pump to spray water onto the windscreen...so things move on...but I hope the system is worth the extra £2kodd, and I suppose you only need it once and be able to live to tell the tale...

That Autoblog article mentions that the metal building structure would affect the brake assist on that S Class...

I wonder what would happen if you were in the middle lane of the M6 listening to your Ipod through the MLS, a Mercedes Sprinter van in each lane either side, a railway bridge overhead and you needed that brake assist system (Merc or Lexus)...oh yes, and there's a Mondeo behind you with the rep driving whilst on his hand held mobile phone eating a doughut...OK, you might live...

I'm sure my point is a stupid one...but I agree, I think relying on Technology is one thing...and proving these things in a Lab enviroment is another...

I watched the Merc thing on the telly, and I was eating a doughnut at the time...it went everywhere...I was cleaning the lounge for days afterwards...:lol:

The radar was confused because of being in a metal enclosure, having vans next to it would not bother it at all. (Hopefully :P )

Although I love driving as well, I like the way technology is advancing, as these things could really prevent accidents. I was rear ended earlier this year (very stupidly) and had he had something like this, it may not have happened

In my opinion, there are far too many people on the roads today who shouldn't be there (how much "driver skill" do you need to follow a car on a motorway? But there are still regular pile-ups...... :tomato: )

If the government won't do anything to get them off the road, I'm glad the car manufacturers are doing their bit to make the roads more bearable for the rest of us :winky:

Maybe in 20 years time, multiple car pile-ups will be a thing of the past :)

Adaptive cruise and Precrash systems are aids and not replacements. I treat them as helpfull accessories, they do not replace my need to use the brake pedal. To do otherwise would be plain stupid. :duh:

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Or Happy New Year everybody.

Adaptive cruise and Precrash systems are aids and not replacements. I treat them as helpfull accessories, they do not replace my need to use the brake pedal. To do otherwise would be plain stupid.  :duh:

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Couldn't agree more...I'm testing the 220d next week. Can't wait... :driving:

HNY 2U2! (texting spk)

Adaptive cruise and Precrash systems are aids and not replacements. I treat them as helpfull accessories, they do not replace my need to use the brake pedal. To do otherwise would be plain stupid.  :duh:

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Absolutely, and I really do hope you enjoy using them.

But as the father of 3 lads, I know how some teenagers regard common sense advice.......

Happy New Year to you all.

IanB :D :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links