Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs Blue Led Stereo Mod

So i have managed to mod my aircon panel to blue LED output :D

Being as i had it out i have decided to attack the stereo too (warning overconfidence) soldered in the first LED and went down to check it and bada bing lit up lovely and bright, then promptly burnt out. On looking again at the factory "LEDs" i saw they are actually bulbs :crying: so after about 90min of messing around and experimentation adding resistors i have managed to get one blue LED fitted well i am packing up till the morn now then going to attack it again.

Will post pics and a how too if i find my camera

Not a bad nights work for someone who thinks electrickery is the work of satan :D

Not a bad nights work for someone who thinks electrickery is the work of satan  :D

it is...............

thats why im building a custom loom for the drift car.......and previously i moved the ecu inside the car.......

definatly the work of satan!!! :angry:

on the MK1 GS all the illumination is provided by bulbs so its a case of soldering in leds and resistors i have been using 5mm 5000mcd blue LEDs.

To be honest its becoming a bit of a nightmare the row of leds below the lcd screen have gone in ok but the ones above the lcd screen are giving me severe problems i have no illumination at present on the bottom :blink: and i can't figure out if its a short somewhere or what as they can't be connected in series surely

well thats how it all looks now it didn't go exactly to plan but its done. I am not going to post a how to as the struggles i had myself would just make it confusing but i will say unless you do know what u are doing with a soldering iron do not even attempt the stereo (i wish i didn't)

The aircon panel is easy its a one for one swap of the old leds for blue ones and there is not alot of disassembling involved either

to do the aircon

Remove the aircon controller

undo the two screws on the back of the facia then remove the facia

unscrew the pcb from the housing

desolder the old leds (note the orientation of the annode and cathode)

solder in the new leds

reassemble

if you do try this and the led's don't light up you will probably have put them in back to front so just switch them around sothe legs are in the opposite holes

*****, you got it easy lol... at least you only have to replace the leds on the buttons,, and your AC panel doesnt even need to have a spread of light across the dash unlike the IS... of course your aware of the narrow viewing angle offerd by leds...

*****, you got it easy lol...  at least you only have to replace the leds on the buttons,,  and your AC panel doesnt even need to have a spread of light across the dash unlike the IS...  of course your aware of the narrow viewing angle offerd by leds...

i am now

well i do these things to try and learn new stuff. Lesson learned this time is soldering your hand is sore nad the smell of burning flesh is pungent