Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Err... Lights?

Bigtatuk

Yesterday I excitedly fitted my new Phillips Premium Xenon headlight bulbs and free Ultra Blue sidelights delivered from Autobulbs (who provided very quick and efficient service).

But as darkness descended, so did my mood as I realised that the difference in light between old and new was not that different. In fact, after doing one side only and trying them out, my other half walked away chuckling to herself as I stood there querying my purchase. Although the sidelights are white now, if a little less bright.

Perhaps I should have gone for the blue headlight bulbs to notice a real difference? I was worried, however, that these would look like the cars who drive towards me and I think they are the old bill.

Anyone had similar disappointment or am I being very short sighted?

Matt

Well the Phillips Premium range are not Xenon nor am I sure what you were quite expecting because you will never match HIDs. Here's what Phillips say:

"Philips Premium was awarded the Auto Express ‘Best Buy’ award in their +30% category. The product offers 30% more light on the road but at the same price as their standard product, making it accessible to everyone.

Scientifically it has been proven that as we get older we need more light to drive safely. For example a 40 year old needs twice as much light as a 20 year old; even more so when driving at high speed.

Philips Premium is the effective solution – 30% more light on the road for greater safety and comfort for the same price as a standard bulb."

I have seen the Phillips Bluevision, and they are seriously good (they now do Bluevision Ultra which are evn better). I bought a set of the Vision Plus for my Mum (50% more light) and they were excellent in terms of light output.

You ought to try the new Phillips GT150 Power2night bulbs:

"Designed and focused for the tuning market, Power2Night GT150 delivers the maximum beam performance whilst also enhancing the visual look of the vehicle. Made to high OE quality, the bulb also provides the reassuring durability that has come to be expected of all Philips Automotive Lighting products.

GT150 is fully street legal and complies with European Regulation 37 (ECE37). The bulb is filled with Xenon gas to give maximum beam performance but unlike other bulbs it also features a Blue Top to enhance the styling look of transparent headlights with a blue effect."

I have seen these in the flesh, and they are superb.

Edited by Zee007

Well the Phillips Premium range are not xenon nor am I sure what you were quite expecting because you will never match HIDs.  Here's what Phillips say:

"Philips Premium was awarded the Auto Express ‘Best Buy’ award in their +30% category. The product offers 30% more light on the road but at the same price as their standard product, making it accessible to everyone.

Scientifically it has been proven that as we get older we need more light to drive safely. For example a 40 year old needs twice as much light as a 20 year old; even more so when driving at high speed.

Philips Premium is the effective solution – 30% more light on the road for greater safety and comfort for the same price as a standard bulb."

I have seen the Phillips Bluevision, and they are seriously good (they now do Bluevision Ultra which are evn better).  I bought a set of the Vision Plus for my Mum (50% more light) and they were excellent in terms of light output.

You ought to try the new Phillips GT150 Power2night bulbs:

"Designed and focused for the tuning market, Power2Night GT150 delivers the maximum beam performance whilst also enhancing the visual look of the vehicle. Made to high OE quality, the bulb also provides the reassuring durability that has come to be expected of all Philips Automotive Lighting products.

GT150 is fully street legal and complies with European Regulation 37 (ECE37). The bulb is filled with Xenon gas to give maximum beam performance but unlike other bulbs it also features a Blue Top to enhance the styling look of transparent headlights with a blue effect."

I have seen these in the flesh, and they are superb.

Thanks for this. I can't quite justify the HID upgrade price to the overmaster so was going for a cheaper, albeit not as good, alternative.

Time to get some GT150s then. Plus I can bore my mates talking about automotive bulbs and compliance with the European Regulation 37 (ECE37). Excellent!

I replaced my headlights with the Philips Bluevision ones a couple of months back, and was quite disappointed with them. They were a little whiter (not blue though) but no brighter, same as the free sidelights. I don't know why but I was expecting more from them.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of an 6000k HID kit from Prolex...that should make a difference!

I replaced my headlights with the Philips Bluevision ones a couple of months back, and was quite disappointed with them. They were a little whiter (not blue though) but no brighter, same as the free sidelights. I don't know why but I was expecting more from them.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of an 6000k HID kit from Prolex...that should make a difference!

I will have to find someone with them fitted and assess for myself, before forking out the cash.

I undertand that you can melt snow queens in Narnia with the light from HIDs.

I will have to find someone with them fitted and assess for myself, before forking out the cash.

I undertand that you can melt snow queens in Narnia with the light from HIDs.

:lol::lol:

I got Phillips Bluevision for all fronts (main, dip, fogs and sides)...... not overly impressed with them, undoubtedly a whiter light but that's about it..... also the fogs didn't last very long for some reason (12 months max I'd say....... they were the H3's from memory as they changed from 2001 onwards) so I'm expecting the other bulbs to follow suit.............

Gonna get my old headlight bulbs (when I find them) and do the 9005 / 9006 conversion......... I used to have 80watt bulbs in my Avensis and as far as I'm concerned if you want more light without going for HIDs increasing the wattage is the only way you'll get noticeable results IMHO

The standard lights are fine for me .....at 53 years old....and before anyone says it yes i do go above 30mph.

The only problem age has had on my eyes is not at distance which when tested a few months was near perfect.

Its with reading although i can see all the instruments without glasses.....

the problem with too good of lights is when you are on dip and you have got used to the extra light and then dont have it

Koshime i have PIAA bulbs all round (12 LED cluster PIAA's for the side lights) and they really do the business after HID's. They are expensive however, £70+ per pair. I have the super white & white and it is bright. I managed to get a good deal on the set however so it was worth it.

"the problem with too good of lights is when you are on dip and you have got used to the extra light and then dont have it"

Lexus IS200/300 HIDs are on the dipped beam. Don't know about the IS250 SE-L. But on the older ISs, it's the main beam that looks dim!

Nothing, even extraordinarily expensive filament bulbs, matches HID. And of course the major reason is that 95% of the electrical energy put into an HID bulb comes out as light, compared with 10% for a filament lamp. The rest, 90% for the filament lamps, comes out as heat, which is why you need to watch high wattage bulbs with some plastic lamp assemblies.