Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattling Sound - New Is 250 Sel

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am debating whether to complian and ask for a new facia and panels. All seems a lot of fuss, but it is a bloody expensive car to be having scratches on. Will take pics and ask your views on whether it's worth complaining about.

Dude, this is a no-brainer. You should complain, like you say it is an expensive car and the rattle was not your fault.

I made someone get out of my car today because they had a bit of mud on their shoes, imagine what I would be like if the garage put scratches on the facia. :tsktsk:

Has anyone heard a rattling sound coming from the drivers' seatbelt pillar on their IS250 yet?

Yes, rattle from the seat belt mounting on the drivers side. I have discovered this is noisy when cold but generally fades away as the car and therefore the mounting warms up and expands. I have informed the dealer and will ask them to fix it once they have a solution (one that lasts). If they sort yours out sooner please let me know. I am running an IS250SE and very pleased with it.

i drove my mates 250sel around for a week when he was away on hols,and he definetely has a rattle prob.im not sure if its only when the mm is on,cos it was always active.He has taken it to his dealership and they are doing there investigations.But I think you should definetely kick up a fuss regarding the damage to your vehicle.You should also write a strongly worded letter outlining your dissapointment with the service that u received.In my experience with lexus centres both in lond and the midlands when you send a written complaint it carries alot more weight than a verbal one.it may seem stupid but all companies providing a service have to follow a set protocol when dealing with written complaints.Whether they like or not your complaint has to creep into a staff dealership meeting one day,and someone will be forced to take note.Rsarin

Has anyone heard a rattling sound coming from the drivers' seatbelt pillar on their IS250 yet?

I had a rattle from that area in my SE-L MM and thought it was the seat belt vertical adjuster. Apparently it was an incorrectly fitted plastic door seal clip according to Lexus Bristol...no more rattles. :)

I am debating whether to complian and ask for a new facia and panels. All seems a lot of fuss, but it is a bloody expensive car to be having scratches on. Will take pics and ask your views on whether it's worth complaining about.

Dude, this is a no-brainer. You should complain, like you say it is an expensive car and the rattle was not your fault.

I made someone get out of my car today because they had a bit of mud on their shoes, imagine what I would be like if the garage put scratches on the facia. :tsktsk:

Cheers Chaps, I have reported the damage and taking the car back in tomorrow (work permitting). I have now been back and forth to the garage at least 4 times since I got the car in Dec, and it's a pain.

To give the after sale guy, credit, he reassured me that I shouldn't worry about it and they will take care of it and appologised for the incovenience.

I'm definately with the "Hell Yes" brigade...dont even bother posting pictures, if it was damaged no matter how slight, get 'em to replace it !!

I Know I would...it ain't every day I lash out 30k plus for a new car from my very hard earned personal dosh :angry:

Yes, rattle from the seat belt mounting on the drivers side. I have discovered this is noisy when cold but generally fades away as the car and therefore the mounting warms up and expands. I have informed the dealer and will ask them to fix it once they have a solution (one that lasts). If they sort yours out sooner please let me know. I am running an IS250SE and very pleased with it.

I rang another dealership - Lexus Liverpool (Bootle) - 2 days ago and they instantly knew what it was. By 3pm the following day I'd taken the car in and had it fixed. They said it was the rubber door seal and that they'd had quite a few in for the same thing. All fixed :D At last I can fully enjoy the car!

Over the last few days I have noticed a slight rattle coming from the behind the dash, in particular the sat/nav area. The rattle has progressively got worse, with my trip on the motorway today producing a continuous rattle and some vibration which is a right annoyance, especially in such a quiet and expensive car. I have only clocked up 875miles. :angry:

I shall be taking it in to Lexus to have it fixed tomorrow.

Has anyone else experienced severe rattles or vibrations from their IS250?

I will let you know the outcome after my visit to the dealership.

Over the last few days I have noticed a slight rattle coming from the behind the dash, in particular the sat/nav area. The rattle has progressively got worse, with my trip on the motorway today producing a continuous rattle and some vibration which is a right annoyance, especially in such a quiet and expensive car. I have only clocked up 875miles. :angry:

Yes that sounds like the very same rattle I had. Lexus Dealer removed the radio/SatNav and inserted some foam rubber behind the unit to silence the wiring loom. That has fixed the rattle, but in the process of pulling the dash apart the mechanics have damaged the Metal effect trims on both sides of the gearbox and the black plastic side panels on both footwells. They have ordered the parts and the car will be going back in soon.

So, good luck !!

Yes indeed...big problems in that area. Sometimes it's a rattle; other times it's a sort of 'popping' sound. The noise tends to spread across the dash at various times; one minute it's on the driver's side; the next minute it's over on the passenger side!

I love Lexus, but have also noticed this problem on RX300s and GS300s and 430s which I have driven. They usually insert a rubber strip along the back of the dash, but it doesn't fully eliminate the noises. I looked on the USA LOC website where customers have reported the exact same thing. One customer said that he took the car in to Lexus, who then actually removed the dash, PROPERLY insulated the bit making the noise, and refitted the dash.

Frankly, I won't just let them insert a rubber strip on my car - they did it on the last one and I was never satisfied until I parted with it and got my gorgeous new IS :blush:

I'm with you on this; I'm angry that a £30k + car should rattle, creak, and pop, and Lexus try to fob off their customers by pushing a rubber strip behind the dash. Forgive my cynicism, but I have been having this problem for over 2 years. I wrote to Lexus last year but my lone voice was not enough to make them do anything; in fact their response was "we hope this doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the car". I feel it would be worthwhile some of us who are having this trouble writing to Lexus demanding a proper remedy. Anyone with me?

I ain't got mine yet, but I am with you. There is clearly a problem...and Lexus should be making any new cars with this problem eliminated NOW.

Those of us who haven't yet taken delivery yet should TELL the dealers the we will reject the car...I believe legislation can allow us to do this? Does any "Law" expert know?

I am seeing my dealer on Saturday when I hand my Audi over - and will see what he has to say...

PS - mine should be somewhere in a Steel works right now (!), as it's not due for Delivery until March and I will be seeking an assurance that this will be put right before the Dash/Windscreen are in...

PPS - I suppose these are "teething problems" for a new model...but it would be unacceptable if as you state these problems have been occuring on other models too...fantastic customer satisfaction? Me worries...

Hi Guys, visited the dealership to sort out the rattle. Incidently my rattle generally occurs when the car is, warm and typically after 15min of driving.

Anyway to make matters worst, went for a spin with the salesman at my side and you guest it, my baby was ere, behaving rather well, demonstrating no major rattles.

I say major, because the odd creek and what sounds like something loose did briefly occur!

After the drive, The salesman sympathetically (citing sods law) asked if I wanted to book it into the workshop, but couldn't guarantee a fix it they can't hear a major rattle.

I suggested that I will keep it and monitor for the rattle over the next couple of days and if it gets persistantly worst will bring it back for attention.

I had just turned the corner out of the dealership and driven about 50 metres up the road, when my faithfull rattle appeared loud and clear. I made a switft U turn back to the dealership and suggested to the salesman to take the car out on his own, saying possibly his presence in the passenger seat might of cancelled out the rattles/vibration.

While I was having a cupper in their comfortable lounge, he was back within a couple of minutes stating he thinks he's found the problem.

While driving he noticed the dashtop mounted speaker wasn't quite flush fitting and applying pressure on it seemed to cure the rattle. A clip holding the speaker cover down was broken.

So I have it booked in for next week Thursday. Away in Austria on business for the next few days.

Would also agree that the odd creek does appear at other points on the dash, although very diffficut to pinpoint, but generally only occurs over very rough roads.

Well we shall wait and see it they can effect a permanant cure.

Will keep you guys posted.

OK guys - just spoken to my dealer about handing my Audi back (as promised early to geta better PEX value). I will miss the Audi so much (have I done the right thing....someone say "Hell Yes!")..... :mellow: :o :( :crybaby::msn-cry::crying:

Have mentioned the 3 causes of a rattle that I have gleaned from the excellent posts:

Speaker Grill on dash

Firewall/Battery bracket in engine compartment

Padding of main dash bracket and wiring looms

I have asked that they contact Lexus GB/Factory and see what's happening. Obviously there would not be a call back as it's not dangerous, but I hope that if nothing they try and cure this for anything on the "conveyor belt" :blush:

I am seeing them tomorow, and will speak to one of the more experienced guys there (John Browne) to make sure that something is going to happen...especially as they told me about their wonderful customer service... :wub:

The last "fing" I would want is a car that trattles...I had enough trouble with a Vauxhall Astra - to the extent that I gave it back... :devil: and bought my first Toyota...

OK guys - just spoken to my dealer about handing my Audi back (as promised early to geta better PEX value). I will miss the Audi so much (have I done the right thing....someone say "Hell Yes!")..... :mellow: :o :( :crybaby::msn-cry::crying:

Hell Yes! You wont regret it, I'm (almost) on my third Lexus. No rattles so far, so not expecting any on the new car.

What you gonna bomb around in until March ?

Hell Yes! You wont regret it, I'm (almost) on my third Lexus. No rattles so far, so not expecting any on the new car.

Wife's Honda Jazz...I work from home, but end up travelling for work...My allowance in lieu of company car is a perk thing rather than tied for business use so I can officially hire a car for business until mine arrives (they are ever so good to me).

You may want to do the same mate - i.e. speak to your dealer and make sure they do check yor car over for rattles...after this shannanigans with your insurance schedule the last thing you'll want is a rattle, I'm sure!!

Really can't wait to see what you think and see your pics. I am disappointed that not too many people have posted any real life experiences with the 220d...I genuinely think they're all stacking up for March...or they're too busy enjoying their wheels... :driving:

PS - Koshime and Saracen both posted some rave reviews, but they seem to have gone quiet... :unsure:

Wife's Honda Jazz...I work from home, but end up travelling for work...My allowance in lieu of company car is a perk thing rather than tied for business use so I can officially hire a car for business until mine arrives (they are ever so good to me).

You may want to do the same mate - i.e. speak to your dealer and make sure they do check yor car over for rattles...after this shannanigans with your insurance schedule the last thing you'll want is a rattle, I'm sure!!

Really can't wait to see what you think and see your pics. I am disappointed that not too many people have posted any real life experiences with the 220d...I genuinely think they're all stacking up for March...or they're too busy enjoying their wheels... :driving:

PS - Koshime and Saracen both posted some rave reviews, but they seem to have gone quiet... :unsure:

You're right about the rattles, especially as my other two have been completely rattle free. Although, I'm very confident that Lexus Poole would do the right thing with any rattle. They've not let me down in the past with alloy wheels and stone chips - I've had two sets of new alloy wheels and a front end respray when i complained about the stone chipping on my IS300. All times there were no if, buts, umming or arring, they just went ahead and did the right thing.

I guess the March stacking is due to the 06 plate thing. Now I've got a personal plate I'm not fussed whether it's a 55 or an 06, but if I didn't have it then I'd probably wait until March as well.

It's now looking like I'll take delivery mid next week if the DVLA get their act together and I can juggle work schedules. As soon as I've got it I'll be posting, good, bad, rattles 'n' all :)

Just had a test drive in 220d, brand new still on trade plates just had PDI. And guess what - it rattled!!

But otherwise fantastic. Thinking of ordering a 220d base, masa red & MM.

Just had a test drive in 220d, brand new still on trade plates just had PDI. And guess what - it rattled!!

Whereabouts was the rattle comming from ? Is it one of the aforementioned ?

:crying:

Steve, I ordered a 220d Mesa Red base with MM for March 1st delivery. Then after ordering I changed my mind and went for SE...

They could not cancel my base but said they would take it anyway, and it's still on order - they might do you a good deal...I opted for the Black interior which I think goes better, harder wearing etc...

If your interested contact Christian Holmes 0116 2688500 Lexus Leicester. I know it's miles away from Stockport, but hey, you might get more squids off!!

PS it arrives mid Feb...

Jamboo, thanks for mentioning me. I've been really busy with work this week and haven't managed to update the diary but to get back on topic, I've not had any rattles in my IS. My driving is a mixture of motorway and country roads so there are plenty of chances to shake the girl about and so far I'm rattle free.

Of course should any rattles start, Lexus Leicester will be the first to hear of it and you guys the second...

Dropped my car of today at the dealership for said dashboard rattle.

I will let you all know, what the outcome is, and what the fix is, if they find one

Just picked the car up from delaership. They said they had fixed the rattle and had road tested it.

they said that the fronr centre speaker grill was loose, and they had fixed it, but if the rattle was still there, then they would need the car for a couple of days to investigate further.

Guess what. As soon as I drove away, the same rattle was still there, so I will call them again on Monday, and will keep you all updated.

Surely someone has managed to get the rattle fixed somewhere, if so please tell me what was the cause, so I can tell the dealer.

Where is mister MOLEe these days ?

Surely he has some information on these rattles.....

and surely there are other trade contacts with info or has everybody gone to ground now that these niggles are showing up.??......

I think its a disgrace that lexus hasnt definitively sorted this out.

Its doing no good to the reputation and quite honestly should have been sorted out if the cars were tested properly before putting them on the market

So much for the best built cars in the world........I WOULD BE RIPPING MAD IF I HAD BOUGHT ONE !!!!

COME ON TRADE CONTACTS ....LETS HAVE SOME ACTION!!!!!!

CANT WE GET A LIST OF PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD WITH THIS PROBLEM AND GET A LETTER OF TO LEXUS UK