Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Copied Cd's

Hi all,

I have an RX300 SE-L and have recently needed to have the Mark Levinson hi-fi completely swapped - it was coming up with ERROR3 and ERROR4. The garage think it is because I have been playing burned (d/loaded via iTunes) CD's - apparently these are slightly thicker than normal ones.

Anyone else had problems?

Jason

Hi all,

I have an RX300 SE-L and have recently needed to have the Mark Levinson hi-fi completely swapped - it was coming up with ERROR3 and ERROR4.  The garage think it is because I have been playing burned (d/loaded via iTunes) CD's - apparently these are slightly thicker than normal ones.

Anyone else had problems?

Jason

i thought cd-r`s were ok

it is cd-rw`s which are thicker

I only use CD-R's, I haven't actually compared the thickness but if this is a class problem with the RX / Mark Levinson stereo then they really should address it as the UK is no.1 in europe for d/loading music! Maybe people are just keeping it on the iPod and not burning CD's to play in the car.

I was warned by my dealer when I collected my car not to use burned CD's... I was warned that they've had issues with them sticking and when they take it apart is you've amy copies in the changer you have to pay the bill.

do they have to prove is the question...if it is stated not to use CD-R's then that is possibly all they need.

Besides which if they are the ones dismantling your CD changer how will you know if it was normal or a copied CD that caused the issue... guessing they will always say it was the copied one..?

Are we talking CDR's with sticky labels ?

They can cause a problem, and will be slightly thicker, but I have been using the ones that are printable with my Canon IP4000 and they are OK (so far).

It may also be cheaper quality CDR's bending or flexing, because it does get a bit warm in there.

I just use a permanent pen to mark the CD's and so far no issue.. hard/ impossible to tell at what point CD-R's become good enough to use.

Maybe on the RX350 they'll sort it so it will take an input from an iPOD etc...and then no need of CD's at all. Also hoping they dump the cassette deck part, not used a cassette in the last 3 cars I've had.

Was curious about this, so I've just done an experiment.

Stack 1: 20 original DVDs (the most I could find in the house)

Stack 2: 20 original CDs

Stack 3: 20 Datawrite printable DVD-R 8x (Ritek G05)

Stack 4: 20 Datawrite orange-bottom CDR

The 20 DVDs are approx. 1 disc thicker than the 20 CDs (the top disc can slide over onto the CD stack)

The 20 CDs are approx. 0.25 disc thicker than the 20 DVD-Rs

The 20 DVD-Rs are approx. 0.5 disc thicker than the 20 CDRs

The 20 CDs are approx 0.75 disc thicker than the 20 CDRs

So the thickest-hubbed discs are DVDs, then CDs, then DVD-Rs, then CDRs.

BUT... that's not the whole story as the centre (hub) of the disc is thicker than the rest. Next experiment: press down on the edge of the stack, so I'm comparing the data areas instead:-

The 20 DVDs are approx. 0.5 disc thicker than the 20 CDs (top disc can no longer slide)

The 20 DVDs are approx. 0.25 disc THINNER than the 20 DVD-Rs

The 20 CDs are approx. 0.75 disc thicker than the 20 CDRs

The 20 DVD-Rs are approx. 1.5 disc thicker than the 20 CDRs (top disc can slide over)

So the discs with the thickest data area are DVD-Rs, then DVDs, then CDs, then CDRs.

I just use a permanent pen to mark the CD's and so far no issue.. hard/ impossible to tell at what point CD-R's become good enough to use.

Maybe on the RX350 they'll sort it so it will take an input from an iPOD etc...and then no need of CD's at all. Also hoping they dump the cassette deck part, not used a cassette in the last 3 cars I've had.

:angry: No i pod connection on the RX 350

Was curious about this, so I've just done an experiment.

Stack 1: 20 original DVDs (the most I could find in the house)

Stack 2: 20 original CDs

Stack 3: 20 Datawrite printable DVD-R 8x (Ritek G05)

Stack 4: 20 Datawrite orange-bottom CDR

The 20 DVDs are approx. 1 disc thicker than the 20 CDs (the top disc can slide over onto the CD stack)

The 20 CDs are approx. 0.25 disc thicker than the 20 DVD-Rs

The 20 DVD-Rs are approx. 0.5 disc thicker than the 20 CDRs

The 20 CDs are approx 0.75 disc thicker than the 20 CDRs

So the thickest-hubbed discs are DVDs, then CDs, then DVD-Rs, then CDRs.

BUT... that's not the whole story as the centre (hub) of the disc is thicker than the rest.  Next experiment: press down on the edge of the stack, so I'm comparing the data areas instead:-

The 20 DVDs are approx. 0.5 disc thicker than the 20 CDs (top disc can no longer slide)

The 20 DVDs are approx. 0.25 disc THINNER than the 20 DVD-Rs

The 20 CDs are approx. 0.75 disc thicker than the 20 CDRs

The 20 DVD-Rs are approx. 1.5 disc thicker than the 20 CDRs (top disc can slide over)

So the discs with the thickest data area are DVD-Rs, then DVDs, then CDs, then CDRs.

Be interesting to do the same with CDR's that have been 'labelled'.

I only use copies in mine. I am aware of people who have had their cars broken into and the originals stolen so I keep the originals at home.

You should never put a disc into a car CD player that has any sort of lable - they do peel, especially when warm, and do clog up the mechanism. Like others on here I simply write on with indellible marker.

Lastly - I'm intrigued by the suggestion that if a copy may have caused a problem then the owner is liable - where does it say in the handbook not to use copies?