Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

London Congestion Charge

It is official! The RX400h is now listed on the Powershift register, and carries 100% exemption from the London Congestion Charge as a vehicle in Band-4 of the register.

This has been confirmed by Lexus GB, and the vehicle is listed on page 58 of the Powershift Register listing (all 400h models).

A reminder that individual owners still must apply for their annual exemption from transport for london, as the exemption is not "automatic".

Procedure to Gain Exemption:

To qualify for the exemption, the customer will have to register with TfL. Full details of the application process and forms can be found on the TfL website ( http://www.cclondon.com/ ). Alternatively, the TfL helpline will be able to send out the forms and can be contacted on 0845 9001234.

When completing section 2 of the form, the custoemr should be made aware of the following:

- The "Engine / Conversion" is "Lexus RX400h"

- The "Fuel Type" is "HYB"

- The RX400h is classified as a Band-4 vehicle

- Tick the box confirming that the vehicle is listed as an approved vehicle type in Band 4 of the Powershift Register.

- Specific details of where the vehicle was purchased (Usually the centre name and address) should be entered in the section requesting details of the supplier.

- TfL have confirmed that as the RX400h is factory built, rather than a conversion, the customer should send a copy of their V5 and Centre Invoice.

Applications along with the £10 application fee should be sent to:

Congestion Charging

PO Box 2982

Coventry

CV7 8WR

It is official!  The RX400h is now listed on the Powershift register, and carries 100% exemption from the London Congestion Charge as a vehicle in Band-4 of the register.

This has been confirmed by Lexus GB, and the vehicle is listed on page 58 of the Powershift Register listing (all 400h models).

A reminder that individual owners still must apply for their annual exemption from transport for london, as the exemption is not "automatic".

Procedure to Gain Exemption:

To qualify for the exemption, the customer will have to register with TfL. Full details of the application process and forms can be found on the TfL website ( http://www.cclondon.com/ ).  Alternatively, the TfL helpline will be able to send out the forms and can be contacted on 0845 9001234.

When completing section 2 of the form, the custoemr should be made aware of the following:

- The "Engine / Conversion" is "Lexus RX400h"

- The "Fuel Type" is "HYB"

- The RX400h is classified as a Band-4 vehicle

- Tick the box confirming that the vehicle is listed as an approved vehicle type in Band 4 of the Powershift Register.

- Specific details of where the vehicle was purchased (Usually the centre name and address) should be entered in the section requesting details of the supplier.

- TfL have confirmed that as the RX400h is factory built, rather than a conversion, the customer should send a copy of their V5 and Centre Invoice.

Congestion Charging

PO Box 2982

Coventry

CV7 8WR

Thanks for the info, just been able to give that to a Hybrid customer and he's well chuffed with me. Ta :D :D :D

Thanks for the info, just been able to give that to a Hybrid customer and he's well chuffed with me. Ta :D  :D  :D

I believe you should have found something along these lines this week on the Lexus inTRAnet ;)

L.

Thanks for the info, just been able to give that to a Hybrid customer and he's well chuffed with me. Ta :D  :D  :D

I believe you should have found something along these lines this week on the Lexus inTRAnet ;)

L.

Twas but only been back at work today and not had chance to breath, handovers galore!! But I knew it'd been made exempt, but only for the next 12 months.

Are the rules being tweaked to ensure the revenues do not take a tumble as more manufactures begin to comply? That would be shocking would it not? Still, 12 months to enjoy the savings for some !

Actually this reinforces my belief that the congestion charge has bu**er all to do with congestion, and is just another stealth tax on cars/emissions. There are over 350 different vehicles on the powershift register now and more and more being added each month. Unless Ken L. has flipped his lid... I suspect that the rules will change sometime soon and they'll get rid of the exemptions.

L.

Actually this reinforces my belief that the congestion charge has bu**er all to do with congestion, and is just another stealth tax on cars/emissions.  There are over 350 different vehicles on the powershift register now and more and more being added each month.  Unless Ken L. has flipped his lid...  I suspect that the rules will change sometime soon and they'll get rid of the exemptions.

L.

Hmmm. The CC is supposed to be for congestion, but it also supposed to reduce the level of pollution in our capital, hence the discount for hybrid/dual fuel/electric motors. :nuke:

(well at least that's what i've got in my mind)

When the RX400h first came out, I asked the dealer if it would be CC exempt, but he said no because of the large petrol engine element.

:duh:

D.

100% exemption from the London Congestion Charge

lol - what man giveth man also taketh away!

True, but for people who make regular trips to London by car, it is a no-brainer to pay £10 a year for the exemption rather than £8 a day for each trip into the zone.

L.

Got my discount confirmation from TfL yesterday.

Fantastic - that's me driving in and out of London every working day for the next year for a £10 outlay.

Bet they knock the RX400 out of the discount scheme next year when they extend the CC zone...

But for a year at least - fantastic.

Update on this....ugh.

Congestion charging people are not accepting V5 and invoice as their documentary proof that the car is what it is, despite the fact its in the powershift register ...

Tfl require a copy of the V5 and a copy of a 'certificate of conformity', essentially a letter from the dealer stating that the car is in compliance with the powershft register. Called Lexus, who say TFL have confirmed V5 and invoice are required, called Tfl who say they continue to have this problem with Lexus and Toyota as the invoice is not sufficient , they need this separate form...

Tfl require a copy of the V5 and a copy of a 'certificate of conformity', essentially a letter from the dealer stating that the car is in compliance with the powershft register. 

I think the TFL folks are being a bit of a pain in the **** in this case. A Certificate of Conformity has nothing whatsoever to do with the powershift register. (For those who have ever imported vehicles, they will know about the hassles of Certificates of Conformity and SVA Inspections...).

A CofC is a document/certificate confirming that a vehicle complies with mandatory regulations, fittings, equipment, etc. for road worthiness in Europe (including the UK). [it's a little bit like a considerably more in-depth MoT]

All vehicles in the UK require a CofC or an SVA Inspection by VOSA before they can be registered in the first place. New vehicle manufacturers will have already provided CofC for the vehicle type/model etc. to VOSA as part of the certification process to be able to sell the vehicles in the UK market, and manufacturers/dealers generally do not provide CofC's to private owners for a specific vehicle as this is normally not needed.

I had this problem when importing my European IS200, and had to have an SVA Inspection by VOSA because Lexus could not provide a CofC for the specific vehicle with its unique VIN number -- it additionally isn't covered by the UK market general CofC for the type because it was not UK specification and was never previously registered in the UK. Lexus France (where I bought the IS200) do not provide CofC for any vehicle as the certification process inside France is slightly different.

Essentially the upshot of this is: If the vehicle has a V5 ... it is already registered in the UK and has been covered by the manufacturer's certification of conformity already. Individual owners will generally not have any access or means of obtaining the Certificate of Conformity.

The idea of having a letter confirming that the vehicle's specifications matches the powershift register is, quite frankly, a bunch of bo**ox since all of the information in the powershift register (except for the "Band 4" bit, which is just a group within the PS register anyway) is already listed in the V5.

Think you should go back and speak to someone else at TFL... seems to be the case that you get half a dozen different stories if you speak to half a dozen different people there.

Leland

blah.. DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS .. blah

It seems that TfL use the term "Certificate of Conformity" in a different context to the rest of the motor industry.

However, the fact remains that all of the information in the PS register is also contained on the V5 .. if the two match, then there should be no "conformity" issues... I still think it's someone trying to be beaurocratic.

L.

Don't tell me you reckon it's just designed to make the process difficult ? Tfl kind of laughed and explained the rule is the rule..... they also explained that they are getting the same confusion everytime someone tries to register a Toyota or a Lexus hybrid...so for the avoidance of doubt, here is the quote on the notification I received. I think it means that a normal invoice just doesn't do the job:

"

You will need to enclose a copy of your vehicle conformity certificate or invoice from an Energy Savings trust approved LPG installer / main dealer that certifies the vehicle make, emissions band and details of the type of LPG equipment fitted *

* These details are required for both factory manufactured alternative fuel vehicles and those subject to an aftermarket conversion

"

Bless.

I think it means that a normal invoice just doesn't do the job:

Quite frankly, there's no reason that they should need this so-called conformity certificate either, especially for vehicles which are factory built with alternative fuel systems. All of the information they're looking for on this certificate is already contained on the V5.

Whomever made up the rules needs their head examined, methinks... :iraqi-info-minister:

Actually.. MJB got his exemption confirmation the other day... dude.. what documents did you actually send to them?

L.

So. A little bit of perseverance goes a long way... Having sacrificed an hour of my life explaining to Tfl that Lexus has confirmation from them that the V5 and invoice are sufficient, and then explaining to Lexus that Tfl don't agree, those nice people at Lexus let me talk directly to the person in charge at Tfl who gave them the green light. The exemption application has now been immediately accepted.

The issue is that neither the Tfl call centre staff nor the front line people who process the discount application are aware just yet that for a factory fitted hybrid they only need a V5 and invoice to process the discount, and so they quote the story told before.

So if you have any problems in registering call Lexus (main contact centre is now aware) and they will help you out...

• 1 year later...

Ok i am a very happy bunny.

this may be old news to you but i have just read the small print on the latest proposal for the new Congestion charge. and it would appear to me that as long as you have registered before Feb 08 for the 100% discount, you will keep it till July 2009.

I am amazed. see section B) below:

If i am wrong dont tell me for a least a week as i go off to celebrate.

Jon

From 4 February 2008, the current discount for alternative fuel vehicles would be phased out and replaced by the Low CO2 discount. No new applications for the alternative fuel discount would be accepted by TfL from 4 February 2008. Of those vehicles that are on TfL’s alternative fuel discount register prior to that date:

a) Any cars and N1 utility vehicles that meet the requirements for the Low CO2 discount would be automatically transferred to that new discount; and

B) Any vehicles that do not meet the requirements for the Low CO2 discount would continue to receive a 100% discount until 6 July 2009, provided that the vehicle remained in the same ownership during that period.

Following the proposed end of the alternative fuel discount on 6 July 2009, it is proposed that cars which emit greater than 225g/km of CO2 and cars registered before March 2001 with engine capacities over 3,000cc (around four per cent of alternative fuel discount cars) would be liable for the £25 higher charge. Vans and lorries would be subject to the standard £8 daily congestion charge, unless they meet the Euro V air quality standard. The standard £8 charge would also apply to any vehicles not liable for the £25 higher charge, or eligible for the Euro V discount or any other discounts.

• 2 weeks later...
Having received exemption from the congestion charge in 2005, I every year automaticly receive a letter asking if I wish to renew?

If so I just forward the enclosed slip together with the £10.- fee and Bob' your Uncle - as easy as that.

Mr Livingstone is very clever. It is not actually an EXEMPTION. It is a discount - at present 100%. So - it seems it can easily be changed to less in the future.

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links